House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Landlord Gets A Free Boiler In His Rental Property From Taxpayer

Been mentioned on here many times that landlords with tenants on the right benefits can get free boilers.

There's a whole network of companies set up to assist people to get these free grants so I assume they take a cut too.

Landlords can also claim a tax thingy for insulation work done to the property.

There is no excuse for any rented property not being insulated as much as is possible for that property.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/pim2072.htm

Crazy;

Well one of the big problem is landlord's don't give a toss about insulation / efficient heating as it's the tenant that pays the bills.

Also i think they're talking about the the Energy Companies Obligation (ECO) which is paid for by the big energy companies (and by implication their bill payers) rather than the taxpayer.

It is a bit of a gold-rush at the moment (and there are a LOT of middle-men making a LOT of money) but i don't think the principle is outrageous.

Rather than pay more out in benefits such as "winter fuel alowance" et all it's better to ensure UK housing has decent boilers / insulation.

Other northern eurpoeans are shocked at how bad and cold our housing is. It does literally kill people*

* Eg 50% more excess winter deaths than Sweden, Finland, Germany, France etc

Edited by gadget

I think we desperately need new regulation on lettings.

I would like make it a legal requirement that any property advertised to let must show advertised with the asking rent, an estimated monthly fuel cost, and any fees charged to the tenant by the agent. The total figure must also be quoted, and given no less prominence than the asking rent.

This will avoid the problem of the tenant renting a property that brings with it enormous fuel bills, due to poor building structure, poor insulation or an unsuitable design of heating/lighting system.

I would also suggest that properties where the anticipated fuel consumption is above average, be eligible for housing benefit only at a reduced rate, to recognise the poor quality of the housing.

On my last renovation I evaluated the "green deal" and government support against costs for buying it myself and installing it using a registered installer.... the green deal came out far, far more expensive, limited and required me to sign up to the single most expensive way of buying and installing a gas boiler on planet earth. Even the proffered interest rate would embarass wonga....

As a member of the honourable company of landlords I obviously don't want to put money in the wrong place, so I dumped the government support and bought it myself. PS - i also installed internal wall insulation, which to my surprise actually made a lot of difference the few nights I stayed there.

In fact the fully renovated house was let out at far more than the dumpy houses on each side of me. Albeit to a LHA family (thanks, taxpayers!). The problem isn't with renting property per se, its landlords that never maintain their properties.

Basically it goes like this... failure to maintain and renovate leads to low quality tenants who don't care, leading to more damage and dilapidation, leading to voids, and even worse tenants leading to ... well you get the picture.

PS - I've properties in London and northern cities, the situation above is in the Northern cities, I could rent a refrigerator dumped on the street in London and get a decent rent from a nice professional couple... probably.

Ah well, chin-chin... I've got to go and get some more Moet-Chandon. Laters.

I think we desperately need new regulation on lettings.

I would like make it a legal requirement that any property advertised to let must show advertised with the asking rent, an estimated monthly fuel cost, and any fees charged to the tenant by the agent. The total figure must also be quoted, and given no less prominence than the asking rent.

As the law stands you need an EPC before you let out a property. The tenant should be given that EPC and it should state on it bills.

As the law stands you need an EPC before you let out a property. The tenant should be given that EPC and it should state on it bills.

My experience with EPCs is that they are a fiction, bearing no relation to the cost of fuel. To give an example, the property next door to me has an EPC stating estimated bills and recommending upgrading the boiler to a new model - the property doesn't even have a boiler as there is no gas supply!

But my point was that the esitmated bill cost should be in large type in the headline price, so if you were looking for a rental property on rightmove. The price would be listed as:

Rent: £825, utilitity cost guidance: £75 pcm

Edited by ChumpusRex

Seems a sensible policy to me. It's a good landlord that helps to provide an energy efficient home. If some taxpayer money goes to encourage this behaviour then fine. If the tenant is on benefits we're probably already paying for the heating bill anyway so it's in our interests not to waste it. But if there's carrot for the good landlords, there should definitely be more stick for the bad ones.

Seems a sensible policy to me. It's a good landlord that helps to provide an energy efficient home. If some taxpayer money goes to encourage this behaviour then fine. If the tenant is on benefits we're probably already paying for the heating bill anyway so it's in our interests not to waste it. But if there's carrot for the good landlords, there should definitely be more stick for the bad ones.

Or just regulate private landlords properly - and ensure that when the boiler breaks down in one of their properties they are obliged to fix it quickly.

Why should a tenant on benefits have more rights to a new boiler in their property than someone who pays their own rent or a first time buyer. Sorry - its ridiculous!