House Price Crash Forum

Tidal Surge Flooding: What Effect On House Prices?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Well you'd be suprised!

In the last few days we've had:

A Cyber attack on the uk banking system

Tidal surge flooding what were previously considered "safe" areas

And now mass flight disruption due to a "telephone glitch"

All this hammers the economy could lead to a HPC

Edited by Bringingitdown

HOLA446
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA447

LOL if you think nature will have any effect on this housing fiasco. They all got mortgages, I'm starting to think the only thing that can stop this housing rocket from launching any further into space is a stop to funny money lending.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environment/article3922562.ece

Edited by Bringingitdown

HOLA448

Thing is some people (crazy in my mind) are prepared to pay more for a house near a river. The only time this is really safe is if your house is raised by 5 meters above any previously high water mark and there is plenty of flood plane below that to take any over flow.

I am pretty close ( a few miles) to some of the impacted areas, and we did have some consequences from the recent weather, as the water supply being cut off over night - fortunately I was up early enough to get 5 pans of water from the remaining pressure to cook the Christmas lunch and it was all back on by 3pm just in time to do the washing up. No one complained we weren't serving water - funny that.

A few other relatives had it worse, mostly lost power and my brother who does live by a tributary did get a warning knock saying move all your stuff upstairs.

So whilst there was a lot of disruption - I guess the people who had it far worse were those near the River Mole and parts of the River Wey.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

"Tidal Surge Flooding: What Effect On House Prices? "

None I hope, and I hope nobody is wishing for this.

I want cheaper housing more than anyone, but I do not wish for decent people to be flooded out either.

Calm down. Floods are as bad for renters as they are for mortgage payers. And why would anyone want to buy a flood prone house just to save a few quid on the price? Nobody is suggesting that blighted dwellings at reduced prices are the answer to the housing crisis.

Anyway, I very much doubt house prices would be affected by any natural phenomenon. They are set by government, like prescription charges and TV licences.