House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

R K

World Cup Draw

England, Italy, Uruguay, Costa Rica

William Hill have england at 40/1 to win.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25229978

In Summary

• GROUP A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
  • GROUP B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
  • GROUP C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
  • GROUP D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
  • GROUP E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
  • GROUP F: Argentina, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Iran, Nigeria
  • GROUP G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA
  • GROUP H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

Guest eight

Wow you think they have a chance then? You could have gone astronomical with the figures.

I don't think any of the teams, on their day, are significantly better or worse than any of the others. Frankly if we go in assuming we can't win then we might as well not bother going.

They have been quite suicidal on Fivelive in the last few hours about the group but, looking at the others, they look to be in a fairish good group. Why are they calling it the group of death? Much worse to be in with some of the other teams.

It is the WC anyhow - it is supposed to be difficult.

England have a better chance of winning the World Cup than Man United winning the League.

EDIT: And the teams in that Group look like they could give England an embarrassing, repeated lesson in passing....just when we were practising penalties. Doh!

That's an odd non-sequitor.

England 40/1

Reigning 20 times Champions 16/1. Which is a great price actually. That should come in to around 4/1 by New Year. Great bet.

Reigning 20 times Champions 16/1. Which is a great price actually. That should come in to around 4/1 by New Year. Great bet.

You seen their defence, or for that matter midfield? There are championship sides that'd give 'em a run for their money.

If England win Group D they would most likely play Ivory Coast or Japan in Recife, before a quarter-final with holders Spain in Salvador, a semi-final v Germany in Sao Paulo and a final against Brazil.

Piece of cake.

I don't think any of the teams, on their day, are significantly better or worse than any of the others. Frankly if we go in assuming we can't win then we might as well not bother going.

Spot on. There are usually some easy games against mickey mouse teams from asia but most world cup games are hard and what matters is how well England play. On our day we can beat anybody.

Please note that I am not saying that we are the best team but that performance on the day is what matters. Greece beat Portugal 1-0 in the Euro 2004 final after being written-off before every game they played. Potentially we can win it.

That said my money's on Germany :P

That's an odd non-sequitor.

England 40/1

Drifting at the exchanges out to 22/1 best price 20/1 at the bookies.

No value at all at the moment

Everton 100/1 at a few bookies, 90 to lay with 85 being taken.

Free shot at 1100+ if your already active in this market

Just shows how poorly England think of themselves that they think this group is somehow a 'group of death'

Far from it. Very average group. England just know they are poor and will struggle and this is just the early excuses being trotted out. Its quite sad really.

Just shows how poorly England think of themselves that they think this group is somehow a 'group of death'

Far from it. Very average group. England just know they are poor and will struggle and this is just the early excuses being trotted out. Its quite sad really.

I'm glad to see some common sense and realism. England's been seriously unconvincing since 1998.

Absolutely, and I'm not going to get all defensive because you're Scottish. Greg Dike is the wrong man to be leading this, it should be a DoF equivalent like Hoddle.

Guest eight

Please note that I am not saying that we are the best team but that performance on the day is what matters. Greece beat Portugal 1-0 in the Euro 2004 final after being written-off before every game they played. Potentially we can win it.

I watched that final in a bar in Portugal. The Portuguese (I mean the people, but it probably extends to the team too) thought they just had to turn up to win.

I watched that final in a bar in Portugal. The Portuguese (I mean the people, but it probably extends to the team too) thought they just had to turn up to win.

There was a nice moment at work when the girl who'd drawn Greece in the sweepstake was told she'd lost her money from day one! We were all pleased for her when they won :)

Absolutely, and I'm not going to get all defensive because you're Scottish. Greg Dike is the wrong man to be leading this, it should be a DoF equivalent like Hoddle.

I don't have any anti England feeling. Although the English media and pundits do get on my nerves when it comes to the football team - i can't deny that !

My views on this are entirely subjective though. At least for once there is none of the usual over the top 'we can win this' from the media. That's not a bad thing at all.

Quarter final will be a success for this team imo.

Can anyone make a case for Switzerland being seeded? Their competitive record is pitiful, having failed to get out of their World Cup group in 2010, and not even qualifying for Euro 2012.

How do they get seeded ahead of Holland, Portugal and Italy?

Guest eight

I'm glad to see some common sense and realism. England's been seriously unconvincing since 1998.

They still qualified top of their group. The gloss was taken off somewhat by the recent friendlies but England were much more experimental than their opponents on both occasions and to be honest I thought Chile were really good, they might have beaten anybody on the night.

I'm also cheered by the lack of "circus" around proceedings this time.

If England win Group D they would most likely play Ivory Coast or Japan in Recife, before a quarter-final with holders Spain in Salvador, a semi-final v Germany in Sao Paulo and a final against Brazil.

Piece of cake.

First time since 66 they'll have beaten a nation that has won the World Cup then... and with the above knock out passage it will be 3 sides in a row...

Can anyone make a case for Switzerland being seeded? Their competitive record is pitiful, having failed to get out of their World Cup group in 2010, and not even qualifying for Euro 2012.

How do they get seeded ahead of Holland, Portugal and Italy?

They deliberately played no friendlies against sides likely to beat them

http://sport.stv.tv/blog/251873-how-switzerland-played-the-fifa-world-rankings-to-their-advantage/

This automatically moved them up the FIFA rankings compared to the likes of England who play and lose loads of these pointless games

BTW Englands fate in the group will almost certainly depend on who plays Italy first. The latter are notoriously slow starters in the groups and their first games are often drawn. If England's initial game is against the Italians they have a chance

Guest eight

BTW Englands fate in the group will almost certainly depend on who plays Italy first. The latter are notoriously slow starters in the groups and their first games are often drawn. If England's initial game is against the Italians they have a chance

I'd be fascinated to know how many even reasonably interested football fans could name all of Italy's current first choice eleven. Divide that number by one hundred for the those able to tell you the club sides they play for.

Italy's opening game is against England. :) Looks like we're going to win the World Cup after all!!