House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Are The Tories Doing A Scorched Earth Policy To Leave Labour With A Huge, Post-Election Mess?

It very unlikely that the Tories will win in 2015, almost all the polls put Labour out in front by a long way.

Do you think some of the policies being implemented now by the coalition (especially pumping up the housing bubble) are in the hopes that it will all collapse just as Labour get in, leaving them with a huge mess to clear up? Some of the things they are doing are so irrational, it seems like the only reasonable explanation.

It does look like a scorched Earth policy.

Noticed the Autumn statement indicated that foreign buyers will be hit by capital gains tax starting from April 2015.

Just before the May General Election. They want the bubble to hold just long enough to escape blame themselves.

Nope. They do it because its what they do.

They really are arrogant enough to think it can go on indefinitely. Its a level of arrogance few of us can comprehend, but if you were bought up in the same environment as Osbourne, cameron and Boris, it probably comes naturally.

No, they simply have a pathological desire to shrink the size of state to its post war low.

As Pik Botha said on Mandela

"For some reason we were just blind"

Simple as that.

People were saying exactly the same thing about Brown in the run-up to the last election. No-one on here could have predicted the Tories could have kept the plates spinning as well as they have... do not under-estimate that Labour (even if they were to win) can do the same

Do you think some of the policies being implemented now by the coalition (especially pumping up the housing bubble) are in the hopes that it will all collapse just as Labour get in, leaving them with a huge mess to clear up?

It doesn't matter who gets in. The taxpayer will be left with a huge mess to clear up.

Well it is 1.66 to 1 on betfair for Labour to win an outright majority and 0.8 to 1 for them to win the most seats, so the bookies dont think labour have got it completely sown up yet.

Governments have been operating a scorched earth policy in this country all my life.

Major to '97? The only time in my life when power has been transferred other than in the middle of a crisis.

+1

They seem to have got particularly adept at it in recent years though.

The stakes are higher now. Sloshing money around into pet projects and voter bribes is containable in an environment whereby real wage improvements make those costs much less significant in a short period; politicos today are inflating voter expectations against their deflating ability to make good the resultant mess.

Edited by The B.L.T.

I was in politics a long time.The Labour lead at this stage of a government is simply not big enough to be sure of winning an election.It will probably come down to how much UKIP take from the Tories.I also don't think the LibDems will meltdown at all.They might even gain some MPs.

If the Tories do offer an in/out Europe vote it will be a very very tight election.

Labour have a lot of liabilities on the front bench.Balls being a sure fire vote winner,,,,for the Tories.

Nope. They do it because its what they do.

They really are arrogant enough to think it can go on indefinitely. Its a level of arrogance few of us can comprehend, but if you were bought up in the same environment as Osbourne, cameron and Boris, it probably comes naturally.

+1

You can tell by the no so subtle constant recycling of buzzwords such as "hard-working families" and the constant divide and rule tactics that they think they are playing the public like puppets on a string.

People were saying exactly the same thing about Brown in the run-up to the last election. No-one on here could have predicted the Tories could have kept the plates spinning as well as they have... do not under-estimate that Labour (even if they were to win) can do the same

I've got to admit I'm starting to think that the plates will never stop. It's like an endless Generation Game.

+1

You can tell by the no so subtle constant recycling of buzzwords such as "hard-working families" and the constant divide and rule tactics that they think they are playing the public like puppets on a string.

The conservatives are on the side of hard working families, Labour are on the side of families that work hard, and the Lib Dems are on the hard working side of anyone who will let the play at government. It's a clear choice.

Labour have a lot of liabilities on the front bench.Balls being a sure fire vote winner,,,,for the Tories.

Alistair Darling must fancy his chances of being Chancellor of the Exchequer again. By the next election he'll be finished going around telling people Scotland will end up a damp Somalia if it votes for independence.

No, of course not.

It's a complete coincidence that everything they announced that is going to cost anything (small business rates, young employee NICs, etc) doesn't come in until 2015, in the dying days of this miserable rabble.

Yes, I thinks its just so gidiot can have some soundbites and buzzwords to tell the pressitutes come the GE

Something along the lines of 'and unemployment is lower than when we came to office, and house prices are higher than when we came to office'

I reckon theyre targeting a LR/haliwide average price of around £200k by may 2015.

I've got to admit I'm starting to think that the plates will never stop. It's like an endless Generation Game.

So long as Brucie keeps stepping out, the plates'll keep spinning...

It very unlikely that the Tories will win in 2015, almost all the polls put Labour out in front by a long way.

Do you think some of the policies being implemented now by the coalition (especially pumping up the housing bubble) are in the hopes that it will all collapse just as Labour get in, leaving them with a huge mess to clear up? Some of the things they are doing are so irrational, it seems like the only reasonable explanation.

so which would you prefer?

tory "scorched earth", or labour "poison the wells and salt the fields"?

two cheeks on the same @rse as far as I'm concerned.both frankly need to be purged.

I suppose if it's our time to die then given the choice we should opt for the quick one.

but the good news is justice has a funny way of doing karma

...just as these people have tried to distort/debase the populace of this country, they themselves will be on the receiving end of their own policies on steroids.

ie try and deliberately make the population thick......they will end up as a group who will scarcely be able to read or write,let alone conjour up devious plans to feck the opposition over.

Edited by oracle

In the run up to the last election I saw a photoshop (at least I am pretty sure it was a photoshop!) of Cameron wearing a t-shirt with the slogan "Vote Labour"

There is no doubt this government picked up a poison chalice and, whilst the flavour of the potion might have changed, its not a cheeky little number I would like to quaff just yet.

I've always thought the Tories will get a majority in 2015.

And that's despite the fact I like EdM!

The other week I saw a political commentator from the right say something along the lines that Miliband is "funny, engaging, thoughtful and passionate" - and then went on to say that was his "problem"

The other week I saw a political commentator from the right say something along the lines that Miliband is "funny, engaging, thoughtful and passionate" - and then went on to say that was his "problem"

EdM, he's like those generational benefit farming families. I don't think the Milleband line has done a fair days work since the Tsars were in power. Not that Cameron is any better.