House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEATH

Mandela

Surprised it doesn't have it's own thread, it will be the media fest for the next week...

The BBC just said it is unusual for people to pour out on the streets by western standards, to celebrate after a politician had died.

Did they forget Margaret already?

He isn't going to rest in peace......there will be an ownership squable over his body and burial......started before the old boy even kicked it .

Surprised it doesn't have it's own thread, it will be the media fest for the next week...

The BBC just said it is unusual for people to pour out on the streets by western standards, to celebrate after a politician had died.

Did they forget Margaret already?

A freedom fighter / terrorist who became a peace maker and actually seemed to mean it. One of a kind IMHO

See that the luvvies of the Biased Broadcasting Corp are having an orgy of talking heads, endless repeats and unknown people on the line who once saw Mandela (at least it looked like him, but I couldn't be sure).

Reaching Dianaresque proportions now.

Meanwhile whilst the UK might or might not be suffering a horrendous storm, not a bleep.

RIP Mandela. He was a Great and there aren't many.

When I see that my cricketing heroes like Brian Lara, Wasim Akram, Matthew Hayden and others have said the same in their tweets tonight, then there is no doubt.

An end of an era, but a 95 year old man dying makes me think of accomplishment rather than deep sadness (like with the other celebrities who died suddenly, many decades younger than Mandela this year - Iain Banks, James Gandolfini, and Paul Walker, etc).

Really impressive guy. 27 years of brutal treatment in prison followed by gaining near enough total power and not a single act of vengeance followed. In fact, the exact opposite. I'm absolutely sure I couldn't have managed even a small part of any of that.

RIP Mandela. He was a Great and there aren't many.

When I see that my cricketing heroes like Brian Lara, Wasim Akram, Matthew Hayden and others have said the same in their tweets tonight, then there is no doubt.

Never heard of this Mandela bloke.

What was his batting everage?

Really impressive guy. 27 years of brutal treatment in prison followed by gaining near enough total power and not a single act of vengeance followed. In fact, the exact opposite. I'm absolutely sure I couldn't have managed even a small part of any of that.

And the thousands of Boer farmers who have been murdered since Mandela took power weren't killed out of vengeance?

See that the luvvies of the Biased Broadcasting Corp are having an orgy of talking heads, endless repeats and unknown people on the line who once saw Mandela (at least it looked like him, but I couldn't be sure).

Meanwhile whilst the UK might or might not be suffering a horrendous storm, not a bleep.

Of course the High Priests of Political Correctness are holding mass for Saint Mandela . This is their chance to reinforce their moral authority. Otherwise, people might ask why these nepotistic, self-appointed, greedy, drug-addled, kiddie-fiddlers are given so much money and power. Or is just because "Homes Under the Hammer, Series 392" really is worth £3.5 billion a year?

Anyone know what's happening on the weather front?

The meaningful news on this one is about two minutes, the rest becomes a tribute programme and I'm afraid to say a bore fest at that. I don't want to diminish his achievements by saying that because they were huge. Unfortunately the need to show respect by the BBC outweighs any other news.

On the Today programme at six o'clock this morning I had to sit through half an hour of this before we got any meaningful news about the Autumn Statement or the storm.

And the thousands of Boer farmers who have been murdered since Mandela took power weren't killed out of vengeance?

He did his best, most other ANC leaders would turn into a Mugabe given the chance and take South Africa down the same road.

A pity he has no spiritual heir.

Is it just me, or did anyone else think the level of what can only be described as propaganda regarding Mandela this morning was totally ludicrous?

Some MP loony was talking about how people wept in the House when Mandela walked among them. You would think he was bleeding Jesus Christ or something.

It's not just the BBC. All the British MSM sites I've seen today have had him plastered over their front pages, with the freak weather and other stories only there if you scroll a long way down (the electronic equivalent of being on page 15, in other words).

And furthermore, it's a total eulogy. No mention of Winnie and her necklases, or any other of the controversial aspects of his life.

Is it just me, or did anyone else think the level of what can only be described as propaganda regarding Mandela this morning was totally ludicrous?

Some MP loony was talking about how people wept in the House when Mandela walked among them. You would think he was bleeding Jesus Christ or something.

But he IS "Jesus Christ or something".

Political Correctness is a religion. It's no different than Christianity in the middle ages. What started out as something with good intentions has morphed into a tool of authority. Those in power have moral authority; you do not. Therefore, they get MP's allowances and BBC payoffs; you do not.

All news is over-sensationalised nowadays.

Given the hoo-haa over Princess Diana's death, Mandela is certainly more worthy!

But he IS "Jesus Christ or something".

Political Correctness is a religion. It's no different than Christianity in the middle ages. What started out as something with good intentions has morphed into a tool of authority. Those in power have moral authority; you do not. Therefore, they get MP's allowances and BBC payoffs; you do not.

+1 In a nutshell.

All news is over-sensationalised nowadays.

Given the hoo-haa over Princess Diana's death, Mandela is certainly more worthy!

But less newsworthy in the sense that it was not unexpected. Diana wasn't just a celebrity and died young.