House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Over 20% Of Young Boys Labeled 'adhd'

link

It's no secret that, increasingly, Big Pharma, in cahoots with traditional medicinal practitioners, have created a society of near-zombies with all of the mood altering medications they push on the public. But even these figures are shocking.

According to recently published information from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, an astounding 20-plus percent of all 14-year-old boys in the United States have been diagnosed, at one time or another over the course of their lives, with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) - a condition that is, of course, treated with dangerous medications.

As reported by CNSNews.com:

The study also said more than 20 percent of 11-year-old boys had been diagnosed with ADHD at some point in their lives.

The study indicated that American boys were 125 percent more likely than girls to be diagnosed with ADHD, and that boys were 127 percent more likely than girls to be medicated for it.

13.3 percent of American 11-year-old boys are being medicated for ADHD, said the study.

That's incredible; one in five American teenaged boys have been "diagnosed" with this "disorder."

'It highlights the consistent increases in ADHD diagnoses since 2003'

But it gets worse; according to the CDC's study, the percentage of U.S. children between the ages of 4 and 17 years who have been labeled with the diagnosis rose to a mind-boggling 42 percent between 2003 and 2011.

In addition, the study found that kids in public health programs like Medicaid and the State Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) were 53 percent more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD than children with private health insurance. So not only are too many kids being diagnosed with this "disorder," but you're paying for it.

"The parent-reported prevalence of a history of an attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) diagnosis by a health care provider among U.S. school-aged children increased from 7.8 percent in 2003 to 11 percent in 2011, an increase of 42 percent in less than a decade," said the study, which was published in the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.

"This study is really based on the parent-reported survey data and it extends what we know about the increasing prevalence of health-care-provider diagnosed ADHD," Susanna Visser, of the National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, said in a CDC podcast.

"It highlights the consistent increases in ADHD diagnoses since 2003," said Visser, who was one of the authors of the study. "Now we also document that there's been significant increases in the percentage of kids 4-17 years of age who are taking medication for ADHD since 2007."

Tens of thousands were surveyed

The ADHD diagnosis is not evenly distributed among the nation's children, the study also found.

"Ever-diagnosed ADHD was more common among children with health care coverage than those without coverage, and among those with public coverage than with private coverage," it said. "Nearly 1 in 5 high school boys and 1 in 11 high school girls had been diagnosed with ADHD."

Continuing, the researchers said, "Estimates of medicated ADHD increased in 2011, as compared to 2007, particularly among teen boys. In 2011, the highest medicated ADHD prevalence was among 11-year-old boys (13.3 percent)."

Researchers at the CDC based their conclusions on the National Survey of Children's Health, which was conducted in three phases - in 2003, 2007 and 2011. The survey interviewed a random sample of tens of thousands of parents, including 95,677 in the final 2011-2012 phase. Each was asked about one child in their family.

Among the questions asked was whether a physician or other healthcare provider had ever informed the parent that their child had ADHD, and whether the child was currently taking medications for the condition.

Nothing to do with white death, as Ludkin puts it.

Nope, your kids are being pumped full of mind altering drugs to counter the poison they eat, creating the next generation of psycho's, societies dropouts, and pharma junkies.

No such thing as ADHD. Just inadequate parents who don't set boundaries and/or enforce them, then blame a convenient 'condition' for the resultant bad behaviour. We live in a lost society.

No such thing as ADHD. Just inadequate parents who don't set boundaries and/or enforce them, then blame a convenient 'condition' for the resultant bad behaviour. We live in a lost society.

Yes. Give them a good spanking and then they will grow up with a fetish for high heels and a need to be punished.

ADD/ADHD has a neurological signature that can be detected with a QEEG (Quantitative Electroencephalogram/Electroencephalography).

In other words there are a set of behaviours associated with specific brain architectures and these can be spotted using scientific equipment.

I suppose its possible that these particular brain architectures could have developed due to bad parenting, or sugar consumption, thanks to neuroplasticity, but even if that were the case, there are still kids that have this specific brain architecture and associated behaviours.

Several studies have shown the effectiveness of neurofeedback in treating ADHD. Neurofeedback amounts to playing computer games using brainwaves which builds the brain (like a muscle) in those areas that tend to be weaker in those that suffer from ADD/ADHD. Much better than stuffing the kid full of drugs, or blaming their 'useless' parents.

Yes. Give them a good spanking and then they will grow up with a fetish for high heels and a need to be punished.

Is that what happened to you? :lol:

Many years ago, a study on tonsillectomy was done in the US. The researchers took a batch of schoolchildren, around a couple of thousand, and followed them through their "medicals". About 10%, IIRC, were referred for tonsillectomy. The researchers took the remaining 90%, and sent them off to another medical. Again, 10% were referred. They did this a couple of times, and to their dismay, the percentage of referrals each time stayed more or less the same.

I think ADHD is normal behaviour, that results from shutting boisterous, creative children in a stuffy classroom where the teacher does their best to bore them to death with the latest educational fad. I recognise it well, I was one of those bored kids in the 60s.

In other words there are a set of behaviours associated with specific brain architectures and these can be spotted using scientific equipment.

Yes.

I's called 'being male'.

I recognise it well, I was one of those bored kids in the 60s.

Ah...undiagnosed ADHD - please report to your nearest dispensary to receive your medication.

I do worry about the medicalisation of children's behaviour which previously sat within societal norms. Not saying that applies to every case of ADHD, but being labelled with a permanent medical condition at such an early age can be awfully self limiting.

So how come one of our kids is diagnosed ADHD and the other is as close to a model child as anyone has seen?

When i was younger i was diagnosed to be allergic to the addative E110, this was commonly found in orange squash, or anything flavoured orange. I would get hyperactive and a right git... so my mum stopped me from having it where she could, the doctor said i would grow out of it, and it was a common thing. This was the 80's

If i was young now, they would just have pumped me full of drugs and not what i was consuming. I'm glad they didnt

I was speaking to a retired deputy headmistress once. She had two daughters herself, and they had grown up and started families themselves.. two boys and two girls in total between them.

I was gobsmacked when she commented one day, after having had the grandchildren stay once...

"Boys really DO think differently from girls don't they?"

A lifetime teaching children and practically running a school, and she only discovers this NOW once she has male grandchildren of her own? :blink::blink:

I was speaking to a retired deputy headmistress once. She had two daughters herself, and they had grown up and started families themselves.. two boys and two girls in total between them.

I was gobsmacked when she commented one day, after having had the grandchildren stay once...

A lifetime teaching children and practically running a school, and she only discovers this NOW once she has male grandchildren of her own? :blink::blink:

And presumably she must have had at least fleeting contact with at least one other male too. Still perhaps she wasn't interested in him for his brains.

Ah...undiagnosed ADHD - please report to your nearest dispensary to receive your medication.

I do worry about the medicalisation of children's behaviour which previously sat within societal norms. Not saying that applies to every case of ADHD, but being labelled with a permanent medical condition at such an early age can be awfully self limiting.

Depends. Children with untreated ADHD can often end up considering themselves thick because they can't concentrate in class, which is very self-limiting in itself.

Guest eight

So how come one of our kids is diagnosed ADHD and the other is as close to a model child as anyone has seen?

Does the milkman have ADHD?

Or not?

As i said years ago - you only have to think of the opposite of ADHD to know its a scam.

A bit more quiet than 'normal' - a bit better behaved - a bit easier to control.

Would the above pupil be given any drugs :rolleyes:

For ages it was received wisdom, at least in some circles, that differences apart from the physical were all down to 'conditioning'. This was manifestly bonkers to any ordinary person with common sense, but I would guess that many teachers were expected to subscribe to the fashionable view.

I can't help wondering how much ADHD is down to diet. I am sure there are some genuine cases, but so many kids seem to live on processed junk, sweets, crisps and fizzy drinks.

I had two girls, but so many friends who had both have said that their boys were much more of a handful. A neighbour who was expecting her 3rd (already had one of each) told me she was hoping for a girl since her son had been like a human hurricane when he was little. And a sister in law who had a son after 2 girls very soon found that the girls' 'easiness' was not after all purely down to her own brilliant management. I think it came as rather a rude shock to her.

Depends. Children with untreated ADHD can often end up considering themselves thick because they can't concentrate in class, which is very self-limiting in itself.

And in any case it has been said time and again that our early primary education is wrong for young children, particularly boys, who tend to be more physical. Some other countries leave formal education until children are 6 or 7, whereas we expect little kids who are often barely five to begin reading and writing, when so many are just not ready for it.

Lots of armchair ADHD experts here.

There are some fairly specific diagnostic criteria:

http://www.adhd-inst...mptoms-of-adhd/

To all of which would be added: In excess of expected behavior for age, and independent of things like stress, food and lack of sleep.

I know kid who was diagnosed ADHD some years ago...the mother was weak, the father absent and he used to eat rubbish all the time, mother couldnt cook. His behaviour was appauling.

then at age 15, he went out and got a job as a labourer part time..putting up fences on days he skipped...he came home exhausted but his behaviour changed completely...he became sociable and friendly, but he had tons of energy and with his new found mood change, he found the crap he was eating would noticeably make him angry...he changed his eating himself....

One kid, but one serious misdiagnosis/cure.

http://www.adhd-institute.com/assessment-diagnosis/symptoms-of-adhd/

To all of which would be added: In excess of expected behavior for age, and independent of things like stress, food and lack of sleep.

My wee brother is officially 'ADHD'

At school he was pretty much exactly the same as i was. Same diet, same genetics, same upbringing, same behaviour.

Yet he has a 'disorder' that needs pills - and i was just a bit unruly and grew out of it.

In my experience - the vast majority of so called 'ADHD' is pure nonsense.

http://www.adhd-inst...mptoms-of-adhd/

I'm sure there are MANY real cases, but 20% cannot be a realistic figure. Max 3%? Anything above that kind of makes it a normal part of the variability of males?

Males are more extreme than females for good evolutionary reasons.

That link (above) is way too vague.

Inattention - easily distracted

Hyperactivity - like 'driven by a motor'

Impulsive - blurts out answers.

I'm more the opposite of this - but I have mates who are just like this.

Which of us is more 'normal'?

For a technical/bureaucrat person, being able to concentrate, not too pushy and patience is good.

For a hunter gatherer (which we still are really), I'd have said these ADHD traits might have been useful.

Like another poster said, the 15 year old who went out doing a physical job and changed his diet seemed to benefit.

He is closer to the ancestral way of living than I am.

Physical work, less processed food.

I suspect that some people with the above traits (but not all) would out survive me on a desert island / mad max scenario. They would probably out compete me in a number of descendents race, so again evolutionarily useful.

The other main point to regarding modern ADHD over-diagnosis is that our way of living IS different now.

Less authority figures around to keep boundaries, Mum and Dad may work (some might be 3rd generation benefits, so not ideal either), Mum and Dad may not be together, Grandparents further away, not as well connected, less Aunts, Uncles and also siblings.

Many kids today will grow up far from relatives, as only children with limited time with stressed out full-time working parent(s).

I would prefer lots of relatives, Mum and Dad to be together (and working as a unit; having time for kids), and kids not be single children.

Together with this - lots of outlets for energy - sports and physical activity especially.

Then those who are left would be able to get additional attention as their ADHD diagnosis would be beyond criticism.