Sound-Proofing A House.

motch

HOLA441
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I'm using a load of Siniat (LaFarge) Db Board. It's a heavy duty plasterboard (33kg/sheet), supposed to be good for up to 49db sound reduction.

Two layers of that with battens between would be peaceful. You could stuff the inside with some sound insulation (rockwool type stuff) as well. I'm using earthwool for that.

Ridgeons (trade merchants) had a good deal on the above this quarter.

HOLA443

I have a couple of party walls in my flat that i'm looking to soundproof. Neighbours have the ocassional full on late party once in a while and i'm looking to have a crack at getting at least one bedroom wall soundproofed (or at least a decent reduction)

Anyone done this or had the experience in doing this sort of work?

Stud wall would lose too much room width so thinking more of 2" thick panels or similar.

Density is your friend. Most practical sound proofing involves double boarded overlapped plasterboard and remember to tape the joints. If space is tight leadsheet is very good but you will need deep pockets.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I soundproofed our bathroom by simply building a false partition wall ( which was also handy to hide all the pipework. ) It cut out the sound massively, though you can still hear the power shower on the neighbours side when its on.

Our attic also has a suspended floor ( which is the current building regs ) I can play music loudly in their and you can't hear it in the bedroom below…though if someone bangs the chimney 3 floors down you can hear it in the attic as if it was the same room, as the sound travels straight up...

HOLA446

Density is your friend. Most practical sound proofing involves double boarded overlapped plasterboard and remember to tape the joints. If space is tight leadsheet is very good but you will need deep pockets.

yes from what i've gathered the density is the big factor, although does soft material absorb the sound better? eg the lead.

An inch thick sheet of lead on the wall should do it!:unsure: would probably weigh the same as a range rover though :D on a more serious note how thick/heavy are the leadsheets for a 5.5 sqm wall, how much price wise roughly ?

I have a few ideas to look into. cheers.

Any thoughts on that green glue acoustic sealant that seems to have almost magical properties?

Edited by motch

HOLA447
HOLA448

yes from what i've gathered the density is the big factor, although does soft material absorb the sound better? eg the lead.

An inch thick sheet of lead on the wall should do it!:unsure: would probably weigh the same as a range rover though :D on a more serious note how thick/heavy are the leadsheets for a 5.5 sqm wall, how much price wise roughly ?

Any thoughts on that green glue acoustic sealant that seems to have almost magical properties?

It depends on what the existing separating wall is made of.

Adding lead to an already dense wall, such as breeze block or brick, would make very little difference. There's a standard equation which shows this.

But if it's a wooden partition then something dense like lead will help a lot more.

But in addition flanking transmission is something you can't really deal with.

Edited by oldsport

HOLA449

It depends on what the existing separating wall is made of.

Adding lead to an already dense wall, such as breeze block or brick, would make very little difference. There's a standard equation which shows this.

But if it's a wooden partition then something dense like lead will help a lot more.

But in addition flanking transmission is something you can't really deal with.

Density may supresse some frequencies but not others.

Basically, a sound barrier has to match the acoustic impedance of air as closely as possible. Cavities filled with light materials such as rockwool can do this effectively. Heavy materials will deaded high frequencies more than low frequencies.

HOLA4410

Density may supresse some frequencies but not others.

Basically, a sound barrier has to match the acoustic impedance of air as closely as possible. Cavities filled with light materials such as rockwool can do this effectively. Heavy materials will deaded high frequencies more than low frequencies.

Isn't it the other way around? - heavy materials stop lower frequencies better than light materials?

It's a mixture of mass, separation and good workmanship (even tiny gaps are a killer)

A well isolated separating cavity wall has hugely better sound deadening than a solid wall of overall equal mass - even better if you put some lightweight rockwool in the gap.

A lot of stuff on the internet seems based on American constructions where walls are made of wood - so, for example, green glue may help with these but may not improve a masonry partition.

Edited by oldsport

HOLA4411

Gold is denser than lead.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I have a couple of party walls in my flat that i'm looking to soundproof. Neighbours have the ocassional full on late party once in a while and i'm looking to have a crack at getting at least one bedroom wall soundproofed (or at least a decent reduction)

Anyone done this or had the experience in doing this sort of work?

Stud wall would lose too much room width so thinking more of 2" thick panels or similar.

I shall be having our party walls sound proofed in January. 2inch battens on the wall with rockwool and sound proofed boards all in all takes up about 4 inches. Costs about £1K a room to do but I'm getting the pros to do it.

Bump this in mid jan and I'll give an update.

HOLA4415

I shall be having our party walls sound proofed in January. 2inch battens on the wall with rockwool and sound proofed boards all in all takes up about 4 inches. Costs about £1K a room to do but I'm getting the pros to do it.

Bump this in mid jan and I'll give an update.

I think the only way for it to be effective is to build a 'floating room', as used in recording studios. Floor, ceiling and walls as a floating structure mechanically decoupled as far as possible from the building.

HOLA4416

Been there!

IMO, the only way is to go detached.

As other have said, you're always going to get flanking transmission through the structure. Total separation is the only answer.

100% correct I tried everything ,nothing really worked may have dulled it a bit with acoustic boards with rockwool at the back of it but imo its money wasted . Move is the only real solution I did in the end, would hate to add up how much a young 16 year old lad with nil respect in a BTL adjoining property has cost me :(

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I once saw this stuff on a 'help my house is falling down' type program which is made out of recycled tyres. It is very expensive but far more effective than rockwool. They used it to sound proof a kids band practice room built on the ground floor and central to the building. Even when the kids were banging and crashing their way through a few numbers the insulation was perfect Only trouble is they didn't tell you where to source the stuff and no builder I know has ever heard of it. I've tried looking for it online a number of times without joy. This doesn't solve the impact sound problem though.

I spoke to a sound consultant who was doing some testing for me on my garage conversion. He said that the best thing between floors is 20mm gyproc suspended on tingles lying over the beams - in addition to a rockwool layer that is. So you have from bottom to top, plasterboard ceiling, rockwood layer, suspended gryproc, air space, first floor floorboards. I haven't tried it yet on my extension because it would mean ripping out all of the internal partiions but I plan to.

HOLA4420

I have seen code 3/4 sheet lead used to sound proof a theatre that was next door to a city centre pub.

As a general rule of thumb if you want to deflect noise - dense materials and hard surfaces. If you need to absorb noise porous rough materials with lots of surface area - high density rockwool or polyurethane a good noise absorber.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Damn those Christians, however, better than an Imam in training wailing his way through the Friday call to prayers. (I've lived next door to that)

I was thinking just the same thing! But you know, some people move to the "sticks", and then don't like Church Bells! :blink:

I'd pretty much not like a wailing mosque five times a day! Still I went to Egypt once, where that was normal! :blink: