House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Guido Fawkes And Bedroom Tax

love the comments - shows that Worcester people (I live not far away) are not fooled by the whining.

I think the son if he is 16 could get a part time job and cover the extra cost (or buy his own playstation)

Guido is an a***hole.

He used to be purposeful during the Liebour years. Now he's become a tad irrelevant, and frankly an embarrassing caricature of himself. All masks slip eventually, another political partisan troll.

These stories make me sick.

When we had our first child (unplanned) we had NO washing machine (couldn't afford it). It was a mile to walk to the laundrette.

We rented our house privately (no benefits). We, like them (I don't believe that's a bedsit, it looks like a flat to me: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=North+Tenth+Street,+Milton+Keynes&hl=en&ll=52.045127,-0.758786&spn=0.027292,0.052314&sll=51.271515,-0.395356&sspn=0.888393,1.674042&oq=North+Tenth+Street,+&hnear=N+Tenth+St,+Milton+Keynes+MK9+3AX,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.045049,-0.758708&panoid=o9-xj3tATFM-tCiGOUjJtw&cbp=12,234.41,,0,8.64), lived in a 1-bed maisonette.

We didn't have a second child for five years because we couldn't afford it.

Basically they are waiting for a free house from the government. They've probably been offered one already (there's no reason to believe what they are saying about seven months with no contact is true), but they are holding out for a better one.

Why don't they rent privately? They are eligible for benefits up the wazoo, just the two kids alone are worth £10k, and then there's housing benefit on top of that.

On benefits plus minimum wage it's not going to be difficult at all to find suitable accommodation. Why are we subjected to these lies???

The benefits system is absurdly generous, it's perfectly normal in most of the world to raise a large family in one room without any government assistance, and the only issue here is the self-inflicted decision by these people that they refuse to live in private rented because they must have a council house (and I know someone who has one in Bucks, very nice it is too, detached bungalow in the countryside, lovely, just a shame about some of the neighbours) and are waiting till they get one (note the code 'suitable', this means that they have probably rejected half-a-dozen places for not being palatial enough).

When we had our first child (unplanned) we had NO washing machine (couldn't afford it). It was a mile to walk to the laundrette.

We rented our house privately (no benefits). We, like them (I don't believe that's a bedsit, it looks like a flat to me: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=North+Tenth+Street,+Milton+Keynes&hl=en&ll=52.045127,-0.758786&spn=0.027292,0.052314&sll=51.271515,-0.395356&sspn=0.888393,1.674042&oq=North+Tenth+Street,+&hnear=N+Tenth+St,+Milton+Keynes+MK9+3AX,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.045049,-0.758708&panoid=o9-xj3tATFM-tCiGOUjJtw&cbp=12,234.41,,0,8.64), lived in a 1-bed maisonette.

Basically they are waiting for a free house from the government. They've probably been offered one already (there's no reason to believe what they are saying about seven months with no contact is true), but they are holding out for a better one.

Why don't they rent privately? They are eligible for benefits up the wazoo, just the two kids alone are worth £10k, and then there's housing benefit on top of that.

On benefits plus minimum wage it's not going to be difficult at all to find suitable accommodation. Why are we subjected to these lies???

The benefits system is absurdly generous, it's perfectly normal in most of the world to raise a large family in one room without any government assistance, and the only issue here is the self-inflicted decision by these people that they refuse to live in private rented because they must have a council house (and I know someone who has one in Bucks, very nice it is too, detached bungalow in the countryside, lovely, just a shame about some of the neighbours) and are waiting till they get one (note the code 'suitable', this means that they have probably rejected half-a-dozen places for not being palatial enough).

I agree. Get fookin jobs and stop pumping out kids they can't support!

Leeches. If anything, they should have child services SERIOUSLY look into why they are subjecting the kids to living in such conditions, with both parents on anti-depressants? Mentally ill chav's. My personal favourite.

The benefits system is absurdly generous,

Most of your rent paid, most of your council tax paid and £55 per person per week. It's sad that this is now thought of as generous.

He used to be purposeful during the Liebour years. Now he's become a tad irrelevant, and frankly an embarrassing caricature of himself. All masks slip eventually, another political partisan troll.

And now he writes for Roop Murdoch, doesn't he?

Ian Duncan smith lives in a taxpayer subsidized home- via the agricultural subsidy system- if it's good enough for him then it's good enough for the rest of us I guess.

To be honest it is not how much space you have it is more the quality of the parents you have.....was not unusual for a family of six to be brought up in a two up two down property with an outside toilet. The surrounding area, with good community support, good schools and jobs are far more important than a bedroom for every child in a tower block in an area of high unemployment and crime. ;)

From her local councillor’s blog.

Lisa first contacted me on 4th January 2013, well before the bedroom tax was to be introduced. She is a single mum with a disability which prevents her from working and relies on social security benefits to support herself and her primary age son.

She is careful with her money and her only ”luxury” was Sky TV which she feels is justified as she is housebound much of the time.

http://citycouncillor.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/why-bedroom-tax-should-offend-all.html

Ian Duncan smith lives in a taxpayer subsidized home- via the agricultural subsidy system- if it's good enough for him then it's good enough for the rest of us I guess.

I think he gets £3000 per week whilst thieving £14 per week out of the pockets of the poorest. Scum.

From the comments in the original article: http://www.worcester..._mum/?ref=var_0

My mother was until recently a housing officer in worcester. she knows "moaner Lisa" very well. so well in fact she reported her to the Benefits fraud team on more than one occasion. nothing was done because they have such a massive backlog it takes months to get round to the complaints!

Perhaps you should talk to some of her former neighbours or maybe just go into town on a friday to bar 21 or drummonds and see this "severely disabled woman" in action. she twerks extremely well for a lady with a walking stick!

Edited by mrtickle

Most of your rent paid, most of your council tax paid and £55 per person per week. It's sad that this is now thought of as generous.

No, not true.

£33.70 child benefit per week

£120 child tax credits per week.

£80 working tax credits per week

free house. 90% off council tax.

Free healthcare.

Discounts at leisure centre and museums.

Discounts off transport.

Free lunches for kids.

£55 is not generous, but the £55 is a total red herring, the percentage of the overall benefits bill going in £55/wk JSA is tiny. If you want to be a pro benefits sponge you won't go anywhere near JSA. The real pros are busy signing up the kids for DLA too. ADHD diagnosis anyone?

No, not true.

£33.70 child benefit per week

£120 child tax credits per week.

£80 working tax credits per week

free house. 90% off council tax.

Free healthcare.

Discounts at leisure centre and museums.

Discounts off transport.

Free lunches for kids.

£55 is not generous, but the £55 is a total red herring, the percentage of the overall benefits bill going in £55/wk JSA is tiny. If you want to be a pro benefits sponge you won't go anywhere near JSA. The real pros are busy signing up the kids for DLA too. ADHD diagnosis anyone?

Farm subsidies anyone?

Stealing from charities anyone?

For me Guido Fawkes has lost some of its shine. It had become very partisan, not as neutral as it once was.

These 'bedroom tax' (benefit cut) stories tend to be used to fuel the fire in the strivers/scivers war. Most people on low income struggle. It really achieves little but is good to bash people with, and divide and rule. I notice quite a bit of vitriol towards said 'skivers' now from some commentators and bloggers. Red-Blue is not what we need.

The real problem is housing policy - or lack of it - and the ridiculous price of having a roof over your head.

+100

Govermnent are goading one group against the other.And yes,people need to move from their backside and contribite to the society,on the other hand just the bonus pool for RBS managers is £500 million. The world is never black or white.It is in 150 shades of grey.Everything needs to change throughout the whole society.Let's start with Osbourne then move on to Gov's cronies.Plenty of money there (sucked out from us) to pave streets with gold.

From her local councillor's blog.

where do I start..... I've been involved meetings with the Denhams a husband and wife labour councillor pair, talked to both of them and opposed them on a local scheme. Labour recently joined forces with the Lib dems to Kick the conservatives out of power in Worcester. The Worcester news appears to be unbalanced in its views, its left of centre on most things and its editors are left of centre on twitter and always seem to push the labour party/push against the conservatives.. The pair wind me up, and they both have in a bee in there bonnet about the bedroom Tax and bring it up whenever they can.

Worcester is a swing town, I think labour have miss judged local views and are far too to the left at the moment.

Edited by AteMoose

Guido is an a***hole.

Some very real hardship is being caused by this spiteful tax.

Yes. It's tough on working people paying taxes to pay for these leeches who live in better property than they can afford themselves.

+100

Govermnent are goading one group against the other.And yes,people need to move from their backside and contribite to the society,on the other hand just the bonus pool for RBS managers is £500 million.

There's only one enemy - government.

+100

Govermnent are goading one group against the other.And yes,people need to move from their backside and contribite to the society,on the other hand just the bonus pool for RBS managers is £500 million. The world is never black or white.It is in 150 shades of grey.Everything needs to change throughout the whole society.Let's start with Osbourne then move on to Gov's cronies.Plenty of money there (sucked out from us) to pave streets with gold.

Or it is black and white. I am not responsible for Scum DNA. There are jobs in this country and whilst sub society morons abuse the system real cases of people who have contributed to the country and society face real hardship.

It is not hard is it ?

You have to contribute before you can take out surely ?

So

No benefits for migrants for 10 years ?

No benefits for anyone who hasn't been in paid employment for 5 ? and make the minimum 25 years old

End Health tourism - NI number or credit card at the front desk. Reduce the NH back to emergency care so no cosmetic surgery, IVF or transgender changes. Charge like France for simple stuff and move most of that to Chemists. Buy your own Capol.

Child benefit - abolish

Agree re the bonus pool because it is publicly owned should be run like the civil service on similar grades, However other banks which are private none of our business if you don't like their pay structure move banks.

That's a nice rant based purely on compounded assumptions.