House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Sheffield Students Claim Strike Refunds

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/council/education/sheffield-students-claim-strike-refunds-1-6296400

...Students at Sheffield University say in the past cash saved through not paying the wages of striking staff was instead directed to a student union hardship fund - but this is no longer happening.

The university says instead the money saved will be returned to departmental budgets ‘to enhance the student experience’.

So under law are students entitled to a refund for services that weren't delivered?

The University argument appears to be along the lines of you paid for apples, pears and chips. However we had no chips but we aren't giving you a refund but will use the money to improve the shop for the next time you visit...

When they went on strike when I was at uni, they said we should be grateful to them as its an extra days partying/lie-in/shopping.

I did look for a picket line, but they couldnt even bother to form one of those.

These werent the bearded tweed jacket type lecturers (it was a business school). Think more BMW X5 driving 'yummy mummys' that might crowd a libdem getogether.

I think that individual students should start making claims in the county court - the claims would be allocated to the small claims/fast track and they would thus avoid cost awards against them in the event of them losing.

They should divide their term tuition fee to work out what the daily rate is then claim that back.

End of the day this is a plain breach of contract.

They should divide their term tuition fee to work out what the daily rate is then claim that back.

End of the day this is a plain breach of contract.

I don't think it's quite that simple. Before doing that they'd need to subtract the portion of the fee used to pay for buildings, library, sports centre, student welfare etc.