House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Blockbuster To Shut With 1,200 Job Losses

I haven't the need to go into Blockbuster for many years now, especially when the library is much cheaper on DVD rentals, I now can enter Netflix or YouTube on my brand new Blu Ray player with a push of a button, and you can get pretty cheap DVD/Blu Ray down at my local Asda.

Finally the Blockbuster shops are empty and closed. These days shops are closing all over the place and no business replacing them.

Except for the banks. Some seem to have been opening brand spanking new outlets or undergoing refits.

There might be some recovery in "growth" according to the manipulated and QEd stats but that's not reality.

Business rates to be capped.

£1000 off small businesses business rates.

Half rates for new business occupiers.

It can't be bad but they are desperate.

Edited by billybong

Finally the Blockbuster shops are empty and closed. These days shops are closing all over the place and no business replacing them.

Except for the banks. Some seem to have been opening brand spanking new outlets or undergoing refits.

There might be some recovery in "growth" according to the manipulated and QEd stats but that's not reality.

Seems to be quite a few small migrant specific shops opening up in many Towns. some don't seem to do that much trade though.

There's too many shops in most Towns anyway with the internet. I know of quite a few big empty shops with a bit of character that would make excellent living accomodation. Instead they're left empty for years now and slowly deteriorating. loads of outer centre shopping areas of the 90's and early 2000's have taken away more need for shops in centres.

Seems to be quite a few small migrant specific shops opening up in many Towns. some don't seem to do that much trade though.

There's too many shops in most Towns anyway with the internet. I know of quite a few big empty shops with a bit of character that would make excellent living accomodation. Instead they're left empty for years now and slowly deteriorating. loads of outer centre shopping areas of the 90's and early 2000's have taken away more need for shops in centres.

There's the internet factor of course but apparently the internet currently only accounts for around 13% or so of total retailing. Of course Blockbuster was particularly vulnerable to the internet but plenty of other shops still sell DVDs etc so there was more to it than the internet. Internet shopping is growing but not that fast - apparently about 1% a year (next year it'll be about 14% of total retail?).

There seems to be little or no growth in the remaining 87% of retail or in other sectors that might make use of the increasing supply of closed shops (excluding housing and lots of shops aren't suitably located for housing - as things are at the moment) - except perhaps for the banks.

Edited by billybong

There's the internet factor of course but apparently the internet currently only accounts for around 13% or so of total retailing. Of course Blockbuster was particularly vulnerable to the internet but plenty of other shops still sell DVDs etc so there was more to it than the internet. Internet shopping is growing but not that fast - apparently about 1% a year (next year it'll be about 14% of total retail?).

There seems to be little or no growth in the remaining 87% of retail or in other sectors that might make use of the increasing supply of closed shops (excluding housing and lots of shops aren't suitably located for housing - as things are at the moment) - except perhaps for the banks.

The internet growth taking all the trade from the high street is a myth...

As is the smoking ban emptying all the pubs...

The reality is quite simple. The demographic which had the most discretionary income and who are more likely to spend it WERE the young. They've been shafted, left broke and financially sacrificed to prop up Tory and Labour voting house/BTL owning nut jobs. Now low and behold all retail demand bar essentials and luxury goods has plummeted.

Likewise 8-10 years ago pubs were rammed with young people on a Friday and Saturday night. now they stay at home to fuel up before venturing out much later in the evening (those who bother anyway).

Our economic macro managing overlords (who live in this strange world where reality is dictated by text books) have systematically destroyed the young, and with them 90% of the UK's economy.

Edited by PopGun

Their excessively punitive late fees put them on the road to destruction. One day late and you were stung with another 3 days rental... that made people look up at alternatives and probably switch quicker than they otherwise would have.

Their marketing dept came up with a re-brand of this penalty and called it something like the "Keep an extra day policy" - basically the same financial penalty but without the word "late".

Theres no doubt in the brand, and if they had made the switch to online streaming / postal rentals early enough, they would be bigger than LoveFilm or Netflix.

I also remember offloading my VHS collection for a relatively tidy sum of money, years after it was obvious DVD had taken over. Who was going to buy a VHS copy of Octopussy off them in the late '90's??

Sad lack of foresight from management.

The internet growth taking all the trade from the high street is a myth...

As is the smoking ban emptying all the pubs...

The reality is quite simple. The demographic which had the most discretionary income and who are more likely to spend it WERE the young. They've been shafted, left broke and financially sacrificed to prop up Tory and Labour voting house/BTL owning nut jobs. Now low and behold all retail demand bar essentials and luxury goods has plummeted.

Likewise 8-10 years ago pubs were rammed with young people on a Friday and Saturday night. now they stay at home to fuel up before venturing out much later in the evening (those who bother anyway).

Our economic macro managing overlords (who live in this strange world where reality is dictated by text books) have systematically destroyed the young, and with them 90% of the UK's economy.

Dunno. I thought film rentals would be the staple of a cheap night in. Crate of low cost booze from the supermarket and get all your mates round to watch it.

I think the bottom line is that internet downloads etc will eventually slay it. As someone else said adapt and survive or fail. For example where was the tie up with the local pizza place so that you get the film and pizza at the same time ? Where was the internet delivery ?

Maybe the zombie will yet again rise from the ashes maybe not.

Unlike what someone else said, I think this is the sign of a recovery. it's only when out moded businesses die then we get to move forwards. Better the market share goes to other businesses that are delivering what people want.

Dunno. I thought film rentals would be the staple of a cheap night in. Crate of low cost booze from the supermarket and get all your mates round to watch it.

Last time I went to Block busters ( about 8 years ago ) they wanted around £4 or £5 to rent a movie....you could buy decent movies off the net for less.