House Price Crash Forum

East Coast Storm Surge

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I've seen the footage of the 1953 floods, most recently as part of the Dr Feelgood film which featured Canvey Island (famously below sea level), and they were horrendous with many killed. Predictions of potentially the same over the next few days because of several factors coming together at the same time:

This week winter will hit pockets of the UK with a vengeance, with snowfall and gale-force winds that could cause the most serious coastal tidal surge for more than 30 years.

The Environment Agency and Met Office are warning communities along the length of the east coast of England that the winds, large waves and a tidal surge caused by low pressure will combine with high tides today, throughout Friday and to Saturday morning, bringing a risk of 'significant' coastal flooding.

In some places, sea levels could be as high as those during the devastating floods of 1953. However, flood defences built since then – including the Thames, Deptford and Hull Barriers – mean that many parts of the country are much better protected than in 1953.

Already this morning there has been severe travel disruption in Scotland as high batter the UK, with flooding predicted for eastern England later.

As well as warnings for Scotland, the Met Office has issued amber 'be prepared' warnings for the East Midlands, the East of England, North East and North West England, and Yorkshire and Humber.

London and South East England,Northern Ireland, Wales and the West Midlands have been placed under a yellow 'severe weather' warning.

The Environment Agency recently issued a severe flood warning – its highest category – to homes and businesses near The Quay in Sandwich, Kent, for high tides at 00:43 and 13:06 on Friday. At present, there are also 16 flood warnings and 52 flood alerts in place.

Areas most at risk include the North Sea coast from Northumberland down to the Thames Estuary and Kent.

The Environment Agency will be closing the Thames Barrier on Thursday night to defend London, in addition to operating other defences including those at Colne in Essex and Hull.

Natural Resources Wales, the organisation which leads on flooding in Wales, is urging people along the north Wales coast between eastern Anglesey and Liverpool to be prepared for flooding on Thursday.

Dr Paul Leinster, Environment Agency Chief Executive, said: 'Gale force winds and large waves along the east coast of England are forecast during Thursday and Friday, coinciding with high tides and a significant coastal surge.

Sounds like it could be a a bad one. The nearest I've seen was the after-effects of a storm caused by a similar combination of effects at Penzance, huge concrete slabs were ripped off the sea wall and benches had been torn out of the bolts that were holding them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518340/Sea-levels-reach-level-devastating-1953-floods-coastal-surge-gale-force-winds-threaten-batter-east-coast.html

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

It's quite windy this morning.

Yes, it was nice being out on the A1 in a 750kg bean can. At one point the wind folded my wing mirror flat against the door, fortunately another gust returned it to its rightful place about thirty seconds later. The wipers wouldn't work as the wind was lifting them away from the screen.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I have to say it's bloomin' serious out there. Might just make the local news. If someone in London is blown off their bike it might even go national.

If it's Cameron or Andrew Mitchell, there may even be a national day of mourning - if they survive. :ph34r:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

BBC news getting very bullish last 30 minutes.

I am on the North West coast. Just been down to the sea for high tide and the roads are flooded. Spray (foam) is being forced a few hundred yards inland.

HOLA4414

Yes, it was nice being out on the A1 in a 750kg bean can. At one point the wind folded my wing mirror flat against the door, fortunately another gust returned it to its rightful place about thirty seconds later. The wipers wouldn't work as the wind was lifting them away from the screen.

On the plus side its a good day for people with shares in Wind Farms :D:P

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

It looks like Scotland got a bit of wind! Lorries blown over and trains not there!

My bin blew over! And I'm not in Scotland any more!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I can't believe people are turning a typical winter UK storm into a debate on whether or not wind farms are a good idea or not. .

On second thoughts actually i can :D

Agree about the nonsense on the windfarms (though I have done my bit by loosening a few bolts ;) ) but this is hardly a typical winter storm! I'd be very worried if I lived somewhere low-lying on the east coast.

Here's Rhyl today and the east is likely to be worse:

37floods9web.jpg

Archived