House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bloo Loo

Whats The Best Streaming Media Supplier

Ive tried netflix, which gives reasonable quality over our rural broadband, but quite a bit of the content is a little dull, so have a trial of love film...seems to be much the same content, but the stream is worse than netflix, at least today and Monday.

Are there any better ones out there I can try?....apart from Xhamster of course.

One suspects the problem is not with the media suppliers but with your rural broadband.

I assume your are on BT Broadband - if so, contact them and ask them - technical term coming - "up the gain". That is all they can do.

But if you are some distance from a BT Exchange at the end of a long bit of fibre to which numerous rural country houses are connected then you are more or less fecked.

I want you to go and look in the bathroom mirror and say "up the gain" 101 times until you sound like you know what you are talking about. Try it out with the missus later to night. You never know, might be interesting.

Content is the key problem with them all. We had Netflix, watched Breaking Bad, discovered there wasn't really anything else we wanted to see, and then cancelled it.

There's another streaming service built into our TV called something weird that starts with w I think and seems to have lots of box-sets of stuff but I haven't really checked it out in detail.

There's this device which seems to amalgamate a few bits and pieces together but it's still dancing around the content related issues.

http://www.roku.com/uk/what-is-roku

As for rural broadband, ours is pretty quick.. this is normal:

3026832371.png

Although it says Three that's actually EE 4G. It's basically a 20Meg symmetric connection.

Streams HD beautifully with browsing, email etc on the go at the same time with no stuttering.

The main problem with it is that it you use it to watch a lot of TV, thanks to the data costs you'd actually be financially better off ordering the Blu-Ray from Amazon.

Content is the key problem with them all. We had Netflix, watched Breaking Bad, discovered there wasn't really anything else we wanted to see, and then cancelled it.

There's another streaming service built into our TV called something weird that starts with w I think and seems to have lots of box-sets of stuff but I haven't really checked it out in detail.

There's this device which seems to amalgamate a few bits and pieces together but it's still dancing around the content related issues.

http://www.roku.com/uk/what-is-roku

As for rural broadband, ours is pretty quick.. this is normal:

3026832371.png

Although it says Three that's actually EE 4G. It's basically a 20Meg symmetric connection.

Streams HD beautifully with browsing, email etc on the go at the same time with no stuttering.

The main problem with it is that it you use it to watch a lot of TV, thanks to the data costs you'd actually be financially better off ordering the Blu-Ray from Amazon.

Thanks guys.

cant even get the speedtester to work...I am on W8

The router shows 8Mb down and 449 up with line attenuation at 8db and 6db respectively, noise being 16 and 20db respectively.

Netflix was OK at medium quality, not HD...with these figures would a "up my gain" request prove fruitful...the last speed test I did yielded about 2Mbs down at best and we've had BT out and even changed to them, so both providers only managed this...BT look at the synch rate which is as advertised...up to 8mbs.

Apart from that, it is content we are looking for, sky provides 3 or 4 new movies per week and have a good catalogue of modern ones PPV.

Thanks guys.

cant even get the speedtester to work...I am on W8

The router shows 8Mb down and 449 up with line attenuation at 8db and 6db respectively, noise being 16 and 20db respectively.

Netflix was OK at medium quality, not HD...with these figures would a "up my gain" request prove fruitful...the last speed test I did yielded about 2Mbs down at best and we've had BT out and even changed to them, so both providers only managed this...BT look at the synch rate which is as advertised...up to 8mbs.

Apart from that, it is content we are looking for, sky provides 3 or 4 new movies per week and have a good catalogue of modern ones PPV.

If those figures are noise margins then they're on the high side. That said most of the lines round here have noise margins of 15db, they're just abysmal quality. But they are far longer (about 3km).

If a line is unstable, the ISP can put it onto something called a banded profile so that when the source of the noise goes away the thing called the IP Profile does not recover and the speed stays low in perpetuity. Like the guy down the road with a 2.5km line that can't even do 1.2Meg downstream (should be 7 Meg, ADSL2+). The lines are "noisy".

Your attenuation is so low so you must practically live next to the exchange and realistically ought to be seeing a near 7150kbps IP profile and about 6.5Meg of throughput (speed tests), enough for HD.

It's the IP Profile from the router that matters most, not the sync rate. It's like the "ceiling" for the speed.

When you moved to BT they were obliged to give you a speed estimate *not an up to*. If what you get is substantially less you can migrate away without penalty. (OFCOM Code of Practice). That said, the only ISP with a reputation for holding BT to task is AAISP but Aquiss are also well regarded.

You might know all this already so I won't carry on with a pointless essay but if you do want help just say so.

As far as content is concerned I'd like to see a complete video archive of more or less anything and everything ever made so I could just pick and choose. However the rights holders seem to believe that if they hold back on that, people will traipse into town and buy the Blu-Ray in HMV. I've done my once a year shopping trip into Basingstoke this year and didn't buy any.

Most of it is on YouTube though. So in the end, they lose out with this position.

If those figures are noise margins then they're on the high side. That said most of the lines round here have noise margins of 15db, they're just abysmal quality. But they are far longer (about 3km).

If a line is unstable, the ISP can put it onto something called a banded profile so that when the source of the noise goes away the thing called the IP Profile does not recover and the speed stays low in perpetuity. Like the guy down the road with a 2.5km line that can't even do 1.2Meg downstream (should be 7 Meg, ADSL2+). The lines are "noisy".

Your attenuation is so low so you must practically live next to the exchange and realistically ought to be seeing a near 7150kbps IP profile and about 6.5Meg of throughput (speed tests), enough for HD.

It's the IP Profile from the router that matters most, not the sync rate. It's like the "ceiling" for the speed.

When you moved to BT they were obliged to give you a speed estimate *not an up to*. If what you get is substantially less you can migrate away without penalty. (OFCOM Code of Practice). That said, the only ISP with a reputation for holding BT to task is AAISP but Aquiss are also well regarded.

You might know all this already so I won't carry on with a pointless essay but if you do want help just say so.

As far as content is concerned I'd like to see a complete video archive of more or less anything and everything ever made so I could just pick and choose. However the rights holders seem to believe that if they hold back on that, people will traipse into town and buy the Blu-Ray in HMV. I've done my once a year shopping trip into Basingstoke this year and didn't buy any.

Most of it is on YouTube though. So in the end, they lose out with this position.

thanks...the North side of the village get around 6mbps on that test....we are on the South and the last outage for the village was from a cable cut in South colchester....about 1.5miles as the crow flies...so I guess we are 3m or so from the exchange. cant go 3G either as there is little or no signal.

so, content is poor unless you pay....figures.