House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LC1

There Will Be No Need To Kill A Future Snowden. He Will Already Be Dead...

Will the "dark" net save the internet to some degree?

Won't future Snowdens be able to spread things on there?

Disclaimer :

I write in ignorance, I've never accessed it so don't know what I'm talking about....

Will the "dark" net save the internet to some degree?

Won't future Snowdens be able to spread things on there?

Disclaimer :

I write in ignorance, I've never accessed it so don't know what I'm talking about....

I don't know anything about that either (honestly your Honour). I do think that the article overlooks some of the more positive possibilities of the internet for disseminating knowledge. But, of course, this presupposes that clever free-speech lovers can find ways around the suppressive tactics outlined in the article. It seems that internet control is on the rise, and who knows how far TPTB intend to go with it, or what kind of resistance they will encounter.

Guest eight

Isn't this what Call-me-Dave is trying to do with his speeches? :lol:

It's what Amazon successfully did to the Kindle version of 1984.

The future lies in distributed internet. Everyone will be running their own networks. People will have no need for the 'official' internet anymore.

John McAfee has been doing the rounds plugging what he claims to be a gizmo that enable creation of distributed networks

Independent: John McAfee's $100 'anti-NSA' device: 'this is coming and cannot be stopped'

Speaking as someone who's been enjoying McAfee's recent Tony Stark impressions, I hope that it is produced and that it is a commercial success, purely for entertainment's sake.

I'd link to McAfee's 'How To Uninstall McAfee Antivirus' guide on YT but it's NSFW on so very many levels.

John McAfee has been doing the rounds plugging what he claims to be a gizmo that enable creation of distributed networks

Independent: John McAfee's $100 'anti-NSA' device: 'this is coming and cannot be stopped'

Speaking as someone who's been enjoying McAfee's recent Tony Stark impressions, I hope that it is produced and that it is a commercial success, purely for entertainment's sake.

I'd link to McAfee's 'How To Uninstall McAfee Antivirus' guide on YT but it's NSFW on so very many levels.

Obviously the future. There won't be any need for any of the 'official' internet providers or search engines eventually. Everyone will have their own networks, their own wireless hubs, etc etc etc. There will be a billion different internets, each with a different set of users, encrypted and hard to find.

There is no way to stop this.

There is no way to stop this.

They would simply make them illegal. Articles would then be published of their use by xes offenders and extremists (enforcing in the mind of the general public that the two are synonymous).

Though not an expert in cryptography I don't imagine there are many commercially available forms that have been allowed to survive that don't have NSA back doors, so to ensure secrecy you would really need to develop your own home-made algorithms (which could then be susceptible to fundamental design weakness).

Even if you could make an unbreakable form of cryptography, that would already be vulnerable to key disclosure law so you would need to incorporate two stage or "deniable encryption" technology.

Not impossible, but not many people would have the skill to do the above.. and if they did further laws would be passed and further cultural conditioning measures conducted/published.

It's not a conspiracy as such, but it's all about control. IMHO.

They would simply make them illegal.

Very difficult to stop - particularly in 10-20yrs by which time the technology will be the size of cube of sugar, possibly with built in anti-detection/signal hiding etc etc. How could you stop 2 people exchanging information like this on their own personal network - say in the street, or as they pass each other on the Tube etc?

Very difficult. Making it illegal will just encourage more people to try it. Like the internet itself, there is NO way to stop this. The cat is out of bag. Pandora's box has well and truly been opened.

DIY stenography. Write it on a bit of paper, photo it in the mirror, send picture. It's not impossible for the powers that be to read it, but it makes it damn hard work, screening every image to see if there's text embedded in it. I think the processing power to automatically surveil this sort of low-key encryption is far into the future. It won't help of course if you're singled out as a "person of interest", but could save Joe Ordinary when making tasteless jokes which he wasn't intending the public to hear.