Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Uk Sales: Further Fall Blamed On Economy----------Merged Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got to say I am not a big knocker of food retailers. In spite of the falling pound our rolling annual food bill just keeps falling. Tesco have a bad reputation for screwing down suppliers but that actually assists the retail customer too.

Compare Tesco's attitude, who have long resisted raising prices, to Next who have told us we must bend over a barrel and pay extra. Really, I reckon that's up to the customer whether we buy your clothes.

Edited by crashmonitor
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Got to say I am not a big knocker of food retailers. In spite of the falling pound our rolling annual food bill just keeps falling. Tesco have a bad reputation for screwing down suppliers but that actually assists the retail customer too.

Compare Tesco's attitude, who have long resisted raising prices, to Next who have told us we must bend over a barrel and pay extra. Really, I reckon that's up to the customer whether we buy your clothes.

Isn't it more to do with viable competition?

Tesco have other supermarkets including such as Aldi taking market share. In the high street Next have just seen BHS wiped out and M&S are expensive for Matalan quality. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Democorruptcy said:

Isn't it more to do with viable competition?

Tesco have other supermarkets including such as Aldi taking market share. In the high street Next have just seen BHS wiped out and M&S are expensive for Matalan quality. 

 

I guess it is, I'm defending Tesco and shop at Lidl these days in the main.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Got to say I am not a big knocker of food retailers. In spite of the falling pound our rolling annual food bill just keeps falling. Tesco have a bad reputation for screwing down suppliers but that actually assists the retail customer too.

Compare Tesco's attitude, who have long resisted raising prices, to Next who have told us we must bend over a barrel and pay extra. Really, I reckon that's up to the customer whether we buy your clothes.

You'd have thought Baron Wolfson of Aspley Guise would have been better prepared for sterling's demise given his longstanding and outspoken Brexit sympathies.

In 2012 he gave the intellectual imposter Roger Bootle a £250,000 prize for proposing a mechanism for dismantling the EU! :D

article-2169214-13F00E9C000005DC-250_468

Edited by zugzwang
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zugzwang said:

You'd have thought Baron Wolfson of Aspley Guise would have been better prepared for sterling's demise given his longstanding and outspoken Brexit sympathies.

In 2012 he gave the intellectual imposter Roger Bootle a £250,000 prize for proposing a mechanism for dismantling the EU! :D

article-2169214-13F00E9C000005DC-250_468

Is that the same Roger Bootle who called a 30% drop in UK house prices back in 2003?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

Is that the same Roger Bootle who called a 30% drop in UK house prices back in 2003?

The very same. IEA wingnut and Keynesian flim-flam operator.

In 2008 he forecast that UK interest rates would fall as low as 3.5%.

13 months ago he forecast that US interest rate would hit 3.5% by the end 2017.

3.5 out of 100 is what I'd give both guesses, and that's being charitable. At least he got the direction right.

Edited by zugzwang
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/01/2017 at 1:07 PM, crashmonitor said:

Got to say I am not a big knocker of food retailers. In spite of the falling pound our rolling annual food bill just keeps falling. Tesco have a bad reputation for screwing down suppliers but that actually assists the retail customer too.

Compare Tesco's attitude, who have long resisted raising prices, to Next who have told us we must bend over a barrel and pay extra. Really, I reckon that's up to the customer whether we buy your clothes.

 

I'll knock them, happily. While I don't like paying more for anything than I have to, I despair that we strive to pay as little for food and so encourage the supermarkets to screw our food producers as much as possible, while we happily binge £500+ on a phone or £100+ on designer jeans,

A Tesco Lasagne 400g Ready Meal is £1.00. After Tescos' profit, packaging, transport, all the ingredients, how much profit is left for the beef, or wheat, or dairy producer?

Screwing down the food producers is the pathway to rubbish food and also explains why we have so many damn farm subsidies.

Edited by LiveinHope
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news for Tesco.

Bad news for farmers and local convenience stores - esp. those stores that get products wholesale from Booker.

I think the Monopolies and Mergers commission will have a looksy: Approve the Londis sale and dismiss the Booker buyout. That isn't going to happen though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Guest featured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.