House Price Crash Forum
Sancho Panza

Tesco Uk Sales: Further Fall Blamed On Economy----------Merged Thread

In the past year apparently fuel sales at the supermarkets fell by 1.1% but sales at non supermarket stores rose by 2.8%.

So that would reinforce the view that people are abandoning the big supermarkets.

In the past year apparently fuel sales at the supermarkets fell by 1.1% but sales at non supermarket stores rose by 2.8%.

So that would reinforce the view that people are abandoning the big supermarkets.

Depends how they measure sales, depends how any of the "growth" we have seen has been measured. Vaguely remembered fuels sales dip reported of 3 or 4%, if measured in forecourt prices rather than volume based then a lot fo the supermarket growth has just been inflated prices and conversely deflated prices more recently, particularly in fuel. As for the supermarket vs petrol station stores - maybe the fuel money off deals were the only reason some poeple were switching (or staying with) the likes of Tesco, who then worked on the basis of ramping up their food pricing to compensate. When the fuel price fell the customer base rapidly switched away.

I think that is exactly what they were doing - food prices going higher and then giving you vouchers to save pennies on fuel. Now that you can buy food much cheaper at Lidl/Aldi the fuel savings at the big supermarkets is not worth it.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tesco-suspends-more-execs-over-123039543.html

'Tesco (Xetra: 852647 - news) has suspended another three executives as it continues its investigation into a £250m profit black hole.

Sky Sources suggest they are Dan Jago, head of beer, wine and spirits and director of convenience Sean McCurley.

The other man is understood to be another category director, William Linnane.

It brings to eight the total number of executives suspended by Britain's biggest retailer over the crisis.'

As a petrolhead It is also notable that the decent fuel providers have got their act together. Shell is consistently voted the best fuel and is better in terms of mpg and performance in some cars and probably better for the engines in all (decent additives etc) locally a Shell garage is matching penny or fraction of a penny the Sainsbury's price which is consistently one of the lowest in the country, currently 123.9p for standard unleaded (which is perverse because this in St Albans, local thoughts are some Sainsbury exec's must live there)

Even if the Shell price was a penny or two more I would choose Shell, so currently a no brainer. Another trend I have seen is i think is people getting smaller and smaller everyday cars and having a high day and Sunday car which normally is either sporty or big, brought secondhand for not much compared to its original price and if you are an old bugger like me cheap insurance. You will only fill this up with good stuff and by definition a tankful.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tesco-suspends-more-execs-over-123039543.html

'Tesco (Xetra: 852647 - news) has suspended another three executives as it continues its investigation into a £250m profit black hole.

Sky Sources suggest they are Dan Jago, head of beer, wine and spirits and director of convenience Sean McCurley.

The other man is understood to be another category director, William Linnane.

It brings to eight the total number of executives suspended by Britain's biggest retailer over the crisis.'

So are they going to suspend

The Head of Bog rolls

The Head of Cheese

The Head of Paperclips

The Head of the little bags that you put the fruit in

And the Head of the Telephone Sanitisers. Yes sirreee we booked in 5,003,434 sanitations.

Edited by 200p

Walmart has slashed its revenue guidance and says that the next 3 years growth will be slow. Wonder what they are seeing with Asda in the UK.

Could be a knock-on affect on TSCO, SBRY and MRW tomorrow.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-15/wal-mart-tumbles-after-slashing-revenue-guidance-warns-somewhat-slower-profit-growth

Sainsburys are desperate.

I wouldn't be so sure (with me holding 10,000 sainsbury's shares)...

For a starter the German discounters continued success will be their achilles heel... they are fast running out of capacity to serve the customers (new and old) that they already have let alone take on many more from the big four. On a few occasions now I have found myself unable to park in the smaller car parks of Aldi and drive onto sainsbury's to shop instead. There have been times too when the queue is too much to stomach for a basket of items so I leave it there and walk out.

The nectar card is being revisited as I believe that the big four are about to embark on a price war so the savings will be had at the till and not held on some consumer profiling marketing tool which if it wasn't for that they'd have done away with altogether.

I agree the value of the marketing data generated by loyalty schemes is significantly over-egged. However, I think halving the points awarded is a strategically catastrophic move by Sainsburys that will bite them hard.

Expansion of M&S and Waitrose must have hit them too.

There were problems with Nectar being able to fund their operating costs, in the not too distant past, as they used interest on funds forwarded by scheme members to cover the admin.

I agree the value of the marketing data generated by loyalty schemes is significantly over-egged. However, I think halving the points awarded is a strategically catastrophic move by Sainsburys that will bite them hard.

Expansion of M&S and Waitrose must have hit them too.

There were problems with Nectar being able to fund their operating costs, in the not too distant past, as they used interest on funds forwarded by scheme members to cover the admin.

Nectar was always shit compared to Tesco points but for years I just preferred Sainsburys for their shop so put up with it. Now they can ****** off and its Aldi for common staples and when I can be arced to drive across town.

I wasn't going to post this anecdote as its not the end of the world but its indicative of their stance. My wife recently got a save £3 next time you spend £30 voucher for the till when paying. So next time I went I got about £20 of shopping and thought I'll add some booze to get to £30 and get £3 off. Only to get to the till, try to use the voucher and it wouldn't work. Even the till girl tried it 3 times as she wasn't sure what the problem was. Then she read the voucher and it excluded booze!

Since ******ing when? *****. And I hate myself for going there again tonight.

Yes, see my anecdote. Excluding booze from money off till vouchers.

Incredible.

In recent months they were giving me less and less money off but the spend was going a tenner higher each time. Also hax to be spent within 6 days - 7 including the day I got the voucher.

The main Swansea Sainsburys is like a ghost town. Lidls across the road is heaving.

I wouldn't be so sure (with me holding 10,000 sainsbury's shares)...

For a starter the German discounters continued success will be their achilles heel... they are fast running out of capacity to serve the customers (new and old) that they already have let alone take on many more from the big four. On a few occasions now I have found myself unable to park in the smaller car parks of Aldi and drive onto sainsbury's to shop instead. There have been times too when the queue is too much to stomach for a basket of items so I leave it there and walk out.

The nectar card is being revisited as I believe that the big four are about to embark on a price war so the savings will be had at the till and not held on some consumer profiling marketing tool which if it wasn't for that they'd have done away with altogether.

Clutching at straws.

Incredible.

In recent months they were giving me less and less money off but the spend was going a tenner higher each time. Also hax to be spent within 6 days - 7 including the day I got the voucher.

The main Swansea Sainsburys is like a ghost town. Lidls across the road is heaving.

I think they've increased the validity period now. It used to drive me nuts, if you went shopping a day late the following week you were ******ed. So glad my missus got converted to Aldi a while ago. Its not perfect and in her humble opinion the veg is poor but it covers dinner 4-5 days a week. We only need to use traditional s/mkts for special or less common ingredients e.g. dried beans, pulses etc.

Buffet reported to have unloaded more shares. Some other reported supplier comments sticking the boot into Tesco.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29640117

Earlier this month, Mr Buffett, nick-named "the Sage of Omaha", said his decision to invest in Tesco had been a "huge mistake".

Berkshire Hathaway owned 3.7% of Tesco at the end of 2013, a stake worth about £1bn.

The supermarket's share price has plunged more than 50% over the last 52 weeks after falling sales and accounts mis-reporting has unsettled investors.

"I made a mistake on Tesco. That was a huge mistake by me," Mr Buffett told CNBC in early October.

I kept getting Nectar vouchers in the post, £12 off with a £60 spend at Sainsbury's, for weeks on end. Stopped around May.

I found the 20% discount, when used with stocking up on 2 for 1 offers, worked quite well. Although, I may just be naïve when it comes to shopping?

I piled into Tesco hares when the were just about at their bottom, sold a week later....easy £50 quid :lol:

That should keep you nicely in provisions for a couple of weeks - if you shop at aldi/lidl.