House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Tom Daly

For anybody who hasn't heard he's in a relationship with a man. Good luck to him, seems a nice guy so hope he's happy.

Anyway...

Whilst I wouldn't mention it (outing somebody is just wrong IMO) I had assumed he was anyway because he had what I will call that "happy gay look", a bit schoolboyish but basically just very happy with life. Wide-eyed and indecently happy.

You just don't see it on straight men after a certain age because we come up against the first law of ccc ("all burds are mental") and go through life having relationships which start blissfully happy with you thinking you've found the "one" and then after 6 months / a year whatever she starts exploding for minor reasons until you're desperately searching for the exits. Ok, not all relationships are like that, but a lot are :(

That "happy gay look":

Christoper Isherwood

_5124185.jpeg?256

Will Young

will%20young%20august%202011%20-thumb-440x629-161429.jpg

John Barrowman

-john-barrowman-photoshoot-2010-john-barrowman-17450314-406-500.jpg

Charles Hawtrey

article-1219942-06BFFE20000005DC-996_233x283.jpg

NB - this post is in no way intended to be homophobic, it is defining a new psychological condition "gay envy", following hot on the heels of "social housing envy".

I just assumed Tom Daly was gay as he had that very polished, male-model look.

I agree there are 'happy gays' but in my experience there are a lot of miserable waspish ones as well, who have probably turned out that way because of the same reasons you cite for heterosexual men (trying to find 'the one' and then realising he/she doesn't exist).

In my experience there are people who are just happy and contented with life and themselves, and they often tend to find similar partners fairly early in life.

Both kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey fit the bill of the miserable waspish gay men in their private lives if you read their biographies. They seemed to be very lonely and sad men which was different to their acting personas.

Tom will have no end of offers from the media world now I suspect. Good career move ;)

I found his now feeling safe comment interesting.

I have a pet theory that the 'gay gene' also does something to the expression, especially the lips, producing that 'happy - I've got a secret' type of look. I wish someone would do the research on this.

Good luck to Tom, anyway. :)

I have always liked Tom and was sad to hear that he got bullied at school for his success.

However, I think society can do without another gay icon. It's about time we had more straight icons. B)

As a middle-aged white heterosexual male, I feel I am in a minority.

I`m near old age and Hetero, can I join your minority...I`m not coming onto you by the way.

That's what they all say :P

Sorry, I was trying to avoid this descending into Julian and Sandy campness but I knew I was risking it putting a picture of Charles Hawtrey up.

There was an interesting documentary a few years ago about CH. He was loathed in the seaside town he moved to (Deal) because he behaved dreadfully when drunk, being really loud and obnoxious. One regular recalled when he passed out drunk one time and lots of drinkers in the pub walked over and spat on him. Not the affable chappy he played on screen.

That's what they all say :P

Sorry, I was trying to avoid this descending into Julian and Sandy campness but I knew I was risking it putting a picture of Charles Hawtrey up.

There was an interesting documentary a few years ago about CH. He was loathed in the seaside town he moved to (Deal) because he behaved dreadfully when drunk, being really loud and obnoxious. One regular recalled when he passed out drunk one time and lots of drinkers in the pub walked over and spat on him. Not the affable chappy he played on screen.

Any suggestions for straight icons? Not Miley Cyrus, please.

Any suggestions for straight icons? Not Miley Cyrus, please.

You wnat the most fanciable Dr Who assistants thread.

Currently a tie between Peri, Amy Pond and Clara.

Whilst I wouldn't mention it (outing somebody is just wrong IMO) I had assumed he was anyway because he had what I will call that "happy gay look", a bit schoolboyish but basically just very happy with life. Wide-eyed and indecently happy.

Congratulations. You have 'Gaydar'.

Use it wisely.

Use it wisely.

I quite often meet men who I assume are raving gay, who then turn out to have a wife and children. I wonder, are they are secretly gay and confused/hiding it, or is my gaydar faulty? Or is there some sort of 'Fool's Gaydar' that straight men have?

I quite often meet men who I assume are raving gay, who then turn out to have a wife and children. I wonder, are they are secretly gay and confused/hiding it, or is my gaydar faulty? Or is there some sort of 'Fool's Gaydar' that straight men have?

You need to go read the Mumsnet relationships and divorce forums to discover that your gaydar is usually correct.

Use it wisely.

I do for that type but they're all showbiz, the few I have worked with (typically about 1 in 30 in the offices I've worked in) I would not have known unless I was told, with a couple of over-the-top exceptions who were definitely playing up to it as a defence mechanism. Tbh I didn't blame them as there are usually a few people who would otherwise be inflicting their "humour" upon them.

You need to go read the Mumsnet relationships and divorce forums to discover that your gaydar is usually correct.

What he said, I am a frequent mumsnetter as it's an eye-opener.

Plus the closet gay bloke (Terry) at school was the first of my year to get married and have kids, I've no idea how it turned out.

Forgive me for splitting hairs (I hoped you noticed how I avoided saying being ********, fnarr fnarr) but hasn't he come out as bi, rather than gay?

Good luck to him either way (fnarr fnarr etc)

As a middle-aged white heterosexual male, I feel I am in a minority.

Technically speaking, middle-aged white heterosexual males are a minority of the general population.

Which sections?

Not sure Sarah, like here I do the View New Content (there known as Active Conversations) and click on any that look interesting. AIBU seems to have the most active threads although I have read a few under relationships where they were similar to a situation I was in and I wanted to find out what a woman's perspective was (without being shouted at).

Not sure Sarah, like here I do the View New Content (there known as Active Conversations) and click on any that look interesting. AIBU seems to have the most active threads although I have read a few under relationships where they were similar to a situation I was in and I wanted to find out what a woman's perspective was (without being shouted at).

The what button?

Does this forum have one of them?

EDIT: Oh next to the rss button........... mmmmm interesting.

I don't like the layout of mumsnet.

The what button?

Does this forum have one of them?

EDIT: Oh next to the rss button........... mmmmm interesting.

I don't like the layout of mumsnet.

I found it totally unreadable because of the daft number of forums until I found this function:

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?call=ActiveConversations

I did have an id on there and posted a few times but haven't for ages.