House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Rich Kazakhs Revive Polygamy As Women Seek Poverty Escape

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-02/rich-kazakhs-revive-polygamy-as-young-women-seek-poverty-escape.html

Given the choice between love and money, Samal, a tall, curly-haired 23-year-old woman from a village in southern Kazakhstan, would take the cash.

Struggling to pay rent and tuition on her salary as a waitress in Almaty, the Kazakh commercial capital, Samal says she’d drop her boyfriend in a heartbeat if a wealthy older man offered to make her his second wife.

“Becoming a tokal would be a fairy tale,” Samal says during a break at the cafe where she works, using the Kazakh word for the youngest of two wives, who traditionally gets her own apartment, car and monthly allowance.

The gulf between rich and poor “exploded” in Kazakhstan, the world’s largest uranium supplier and the second-largest oil producer in the former Soviet Union, after independence in 1991 and the gap hasn’t closed, said Gulmira Ileuova, head of the Center for Social and Political Research Strategy in Almaty. President Nursultan Nazarbayev, in power for more than two decades, undertook a state asset-sale program in the 1990s that enriched a group of insiders at everyone else’s expense, Ileuova said by phone on Nov. 27.

If costs keep going up having these types of relationships can only start to become the "norm". I'm surprised the bigamy law has never been challenged under the human rights act.

In the UK certain income groups can only buy if they pool the money live together.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-02/rich-kazakhs-revive-polygamy-as-young-women-seek-poverty-escape.html

If costs keep going up having these types of relationships can only start to become the "norm". I'm surprised the bigamy law has never been challenged under the human rights act.

In the UK certain income groups can only buy if they pool the money live together.

If I were rich and I was willing to take on a 2nd/3rd wife to save them from a life of poverty, I'd always think, that's big-a-me.

Sounds like a revolution could be in the offing there. Any society with such inequalities is guaranteed to implode.

When someone has nothing of something be it a car, house, girlfriend, or money and others have lots of that same thing (monopolising) then it's bound to kick off.

I was quite a looker in my youth, shit, if I knew then...

I fell into the trap of total independence :(

Sounds like a revolution could be in the offing there.

Being a 2nd/3rd/4th wife/mistress/girlfriend to a rich guy has been a socially accepted aspirational thing for women in much of ex-ussr and "eastern" eastern europe for a very long time.

Why bother with more wives if loaded?

Given that this is already hardly a romantic approach, if you want children, pay someone to have them and retain control, if you want sex, serial or multiple girlfriends will deliver it better.

Edit :- This also applies to the question of having one wife. ;)

I quite like the idea of polygamy in the historical sense as in the strongest, wealthiest having the largest collections of lovers and children (not child lovers!) rather than the state (ie taxpayers) paying for the upbringing of children. The rich breed most, the poor, not at all. However, most nowadays are probably like Mick Philpott or those lecherous old pakistani fellows that wear their pyjamas all day long.