House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1929crash

Bob Dylan Upsets The Croats

I found this story amazing. And scary.

It seems that Bob Dylan made reference to the goings on of the Croats during ww2 - you know, how they were involved in the killing of Serbs and so on.

It was in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Now, it seems, there is a French judicial inquiry into what he said because the French Croats Association have filed a complaint that he was promoting ethnic hatred or some such rubbish.

The remarks weren't even made in France! How long before someone gets prosecuted for pointing out that the Germans invaded Belgium in August 1914?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25195335

Many Croats see themselves as victims of Serb atrocities during WW2, the Serb attacks on Croats were noted at the time, that is why the Allies ended up backing the Communist Partisans rather that the Serb nationalists, they knew that backing the Serb nationalists would result in mass killings of the Croat population… WW2 in Yugoslavia was all shades of gray..

Many Croats see themselves as victims of Serb atrocities during WW2, the Serb attacks on Croats were noted at the time, that is why the Allies ended up backing the Communist Partisans rather that the Serb nationalists, they knew that backing the Serb nationalists would result in mass killings of the Croat population… WW2 in Yugoslavia was all shades of gray..

You're not kidding, they all hate each other and like the Irish are not keen on forgetting things until about 50 generations have passed.

There are regular killings and fights in Switzerland due to blood feuds between the different Balkan factions.

In one case recently in the press, apparently only a few of both families concerned remain alive, so it should be over soon.

That's it! I will call my new historical novel set in the 1940s Balkans 'Fifty Shades of Grey.' B)

When I was young an old guy from my village in Herts told me when he was a kid after WW1, the people in my village hated the neighboring village and the kids would fight... (the human condition)

You're not kidding, they all hate each other and like the Irish are not keen on forgetting things until about 50 generations have passed.

There are regular killings and fights in Switzerland due to blood feuds between the different Balkan factions.

In one case recently in the press, apparently only a few of both families concerned remain alive, so it should be over soon.

When I was young an old guy from my village in Herts told me when he was a kid after WW1, the people in my village hated the neighboring village and the kids would fight... (the human condition)

While I take your point about the human condition, it's not the same level, they didn't try to wipe out the neighbouring Herts village, or at least wipe out the most disliked section of the community in the neighbouring village, this kind of thing was commonplace in Yugoslavia. In addition, three generations later in Hertfordshire, it's all forgotten.

It was the other way up - the Croats ran a little Nazi puppet state, and set about wiping out the Serbs.

It's the same round here! We hate the next village, as they make square cheese, and our cheese is round! :huh:

I've never heard a better argument for a fight! :blink:

I found this story amazing. And scary.

It seems that Bob Dylan made reference to the goings on of the Croats during ww2 - you know, how they were involved in the killing of Serbs and so on.

It was in an interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

Now, it seems, there is a French judicial inquiry into what he said because the French Croats Association have filed a complaint that he was promoting ethnic hatred or some such rubbish.

The remarks weren't even made in France! How long before someone gets prosecuted for pointing out that the Germans invaded Belgium in August 1914?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25195335

Doesnt stop them

MISH was recently threatened by french bureautwats.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/mish-fined-8000-euros-for-quoting_20.html

It was the other way up - the Croats ran a little Nazi puppet state, and set about wiping out the Serbs.

WW2 was just a side show if you were in Yugoslav at the time, they were embroiled in a civil war with the Serb side also aiming to wipe out the Croats:

Chetniks

In March 1942, the Chetnik Dinara Division created a program which proposed a Greater Serbia with a corridor between Herzegovina, northern Dalmatia, Bosnia, and Lika to Slovenia, and cleansing of these areas of non-Serb populations.

What was impressive is that the cult of Tito(a Croat) held the country together for forty years...

It's the same round here! We hate the next village, as they make square cheese, and our cheese is round! :huh:

Grate, let`s get our slicers out and make sure their asses are toast!

We always win the cheese rolling competition, but they always get a gong in the National "Village Idiot" Finals! :blink:

WW2 was just a side show if you were in Yugoslav at the time, they were embroiled in a civil war with the Serb side also aiming to wipe out the Croats:

Chetniks

What was impressive is that the cult of Tito(a Croat) held the country together for forty years...

Apparently a large internment camp on an Adriatic island was quite useful. Although if you're going to be interned...

Apparently a large internment camp on an Adriatic island was quite useful. Although if you're going to be interned...

... you really didn't want to be interned in Rab concentration camp

...the annual mortality rate at 18% in the camp was higher than the average mortality rate in the Nazi concentration camp of Buchenwald (15%)...

...Slovenes and Croatians, many of whom were women and children, including pregnant women and newborns, suffered from cold and hunger in open-air tents, surrounded by barbed wire fence and guard towers. At its peak there were up to 15,000 internees

Conditions at the camp were described as appalling: "filthy, muddy, overcrowded and swarming with insects". The Slovene writer Metod Milač, an inmate at the camp, described in his memoirs how prisoners were quartered six to a tent and slowly starved to death on a daily diet of thin soup, a few grains of rice and small pieces of bread. Prisoners fought with each other for access to the camp's meager water supply, a single barrel, while many became infested with lice and wracked with dysentery caused by the unhygenic conditions...

Although that's probably not the camp you're thinking of.

What, better than "Are you calling my pint a poof...?"

You did, didn't yer...?

Outside now Pinny-boy...!!!

XYY

What, better than "Are you calling my pint a poof...?"

You did, didn't yer...?

Outside now Pinny-boy...!!!

XYY

Ah! You've brought a square cheese to roll, haven't you? Nothing in the rules against it! But they don't go so well! :blink:

Having lived in the "North East" for a while, I would say it's easier to get into a fight in Kent or Surrey, as your "mates" won't stick up for you!

Having lived in the "North East" for a while, I would say it's easier to get into a fight in Kent or Surrey, as your "mates" won't stick up for you!

So true, Mr Pin. The bonds of social solidarity are weakest in the south-east.

... you really didn't want to be interned in Rab concentration camp

...the annual mortality rate at 18% in the camp was higher than the average mortality rate in the Nazi concentration camp of Buchenwald (15%)...

...Slovenes and Croatians, many of whom were women and children, including pregnant women and newborns, suffered from cold and hunger in open-air tents, surrounded by barbed wire fence and guard towers. At its peak there were up to 15,000 internees

Conditions at the camp were described as appalling: "filthy, muddy, overcrowded and swarming with insects". The Slovene writer Metod Milač, an inmate at the camp, described in his memoirs how prisoners were quartered six to a tent and slowly starved to death on a daily diet of thin soup, a few grains of rice and small pieces of bread. Prisoners fought with each other for access to the camp's meager water supply, a single barrel, while many became infested with lice and wracked with dysentery caused by the unhygenic conditions...

Although that's probably not the camp you're thinking of.

Well that puts another light on the ‘nice’ Italians in WW2 also see what they did in Ethiopia…

So true, Mr Pin. The bonds of social solidarity are weakest in the south-east.

A Yorkshire mate of mine live in Guildford, for a while, and thought it the unfriendliest place on Earth! His quote was "If an old lady falls over in the street, they just step over her"! :blink: