House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rigsby

Scart To Hdmi ?

Just bought a DVD player and TV. I thought the TV would have a scart, but i hasn't, it's only got HDMI. Argos won't take back the DVD which only has a scart B*strds. Can you buy a scart to HDMI cable any one know ?

Ta.

Just bought a DVD player and TV. I thought the TV would have a scart, but i hasn't, it's only got HDMI. Argos won't take back the DVD which only has a scart B*strds. Can you buy a scart to HDMI cable any one know ?

Ta.

Scart is analogue, HDMI is digital. Possibly you could get a scart to HDMI converter but it's likely to cost as much as a new DVD player with an HDMI output.

I'm surprised that the TV doesn't have a scart input though. They are tending to not put them on the TV itself any more as they're too bulky but there may well be a breakout cable supplied with the telly for the benefit of luddites who still use analogue video. Have you checked in the box / in the manual?

Scart is analogue, HDMI is digital. Possibly you could get a scart to HDMI converter but it's likely to cost as much as a new DVD player with an HDMI output.

I'm surprised that the TV doesn't have a scart input though. They are tending to not put them on the TV itself any more as they're too bulky but there may well be a breakout cable supplied with the telly for the benefit of luddites who still use analogue video. Have you checked in the box / in the manual?

Samsung for instance put their scart connection on the end of a clip in dongle...

Ta.

What do you mean that Argos will not take it back? How long ago did you buy it? If you bought a TV and a DVD player to work together than they clearly do not work for the purpose they were sold.

I would love to see Argos defend their stance in a small claims court as I would imagine any sensible judge would have the common sense that someone purchasing a TV and a TV player together would have the aim for them to work together.

http://www.ebuyer.com/343457-xenta-hdmi-upscaling-dvd-player-1080p-with-usb-playback-and-5-1-surround-sound-st2000vn000

£18 for one with a HDMI upscaler built in. I'm surprised the argos one doesn't have hdmi as standard.

I've never seen a modern flat panel that doesnt come with hdmi (even the cheapo ones)...its a first for me...

What do you mean that Argos will not take it back? How long ago did you buy it? If you bought a TV and a DVD player to work together than they clearly do not work for the purpose they were sold.

I would love to see Argos defend their stance in a small claims court as I would imagine any sensible judge would have the common sense that someone purchasing a TV and a TV player together would have the aim for them to work together.

Yeah too right. I remember Argos girl saying that it was 30 day exempt at the time I bought a week ago, after paying mind you, and it's on the receipt. I phoned customer services and they said it's exempt can't take back. Computer says no. End of. Bought two DVDs too for kids from Argos (telly from Tescos only the best quality gear in this house!) so not a combined purchase. One opened, one unopened. Won't take either of the fckers back.

Yeah too right. I remember Argos girl saying that it was 30 day exempt at the time I bought a week ago, after paying mind you, and it's on the receipt. I phoned customer services and they said it's exempt can't take back. Computer says no. End of. Bought two DVDs too for kids from Argos (telly from Tescos only the best quality gear in this house!) so not a combined purchase. One opened, one unopened. Won't take either of the fckers back.

I believe that no retailer actually has to legally accept unwanted items...only if its faulty....Online, its different, as you can enforce your distance selling rights...

You should have just told the Argos Store that the DVD didn't work, they would not have checked.

So you bought the DVD player and two DVDs together? I suspect it is the two DVDs that are exempt from the 30 day refund but as you purchashed the player on the same receipt the computer has flagged it up as exempt.

So you bought the DVD player and two DVDs together? I suspect it is the two DVDs that are exempt from the 30 day refund but as you purchashed the player on the same receipt the computer has flagged it up as exempt.

No. I got twin girls. They have to have exactly the same thing or it's WWIII. I bought two DVD players. I took one out to check and it did not fit the telly . It's all my fault no scart on the TV - I accept that. A lot of retailers would say, it's your fault but we will accept a return - especially for the second unopened DVD player box. But no. Argos said we will not accept either the one with the box you opened, nor the box that you did not open. The unopened box is the wan*ky bit from Argos IMHO

anyr oad up £3.00 off ebay and it's sorted.

Does the TV have a composite (single RCA plug, usually yellow), s-video (small DIN plug with five pins) or component (three RCAs, red, green and blue) input? If so, Scart to component, s-video or composite adaptors cost pennies on Ebay. You'd need one of those plus a lead of your connection method of choice. Use component if supported, s-video if not and composite is still not (progressively diminishing pic quality).

I'd be surprised if the TV has no analogue video input whatsoever.

Blu Ray players are hardly expensive now, and these are bound to have HDMI, although buy a named brand, and not a Tesco one! :blink:

Blu Ray players are hardly expensive now, and these are bound to have HDMI, although buy a named brand, and not a Tesco one! :blink:

They provide 1080p output, which is only possibly via HDMI, and they don't come with scart ports...would be a bit pointless in getting a bluray player, then going through scart - might as well stick to DVD...

Post a link to each of them on Argos' website.Or a picture of the connections. Chances are there is a way of connecting them - just not necessarily via SCART or HDMI.

If not, I'd be tempted to ditch the DVD player as a bad job - and get a different one with a HDMI connection.

They provide 1080p output, which is only possibly via HDMI, and they don't come with scart ports...would be a bit pointless in getting a bluray player, then going through scart - might as well stick to DVD...

Also, they "upscale" regular DVDs pretty well too! ;)

Might just be easier to get a Now TV box which is basically a Roku, and connect this to your TV via the supplied HDMI lead.

Then if you have access to a PC with a DVD player rip your DVD's with MakeMKV (or DVD Fab) then transcode to mp4 with Handbrake.

On your PC and Roku install Plex media server (need to put the Roku/Now TV box into developer mode) then effortlessly stream your ripped DVD content to your tv via the Roku.

Sounds complicated but that is how I deal with DVD nows, provided you have a PC with a big enough hard drive to hold the media.

Also just use the Roku, to steam Sky Movies, Youtube, 40D, Demand 5 etc..

Our TV came with a SCART to HDMI adapter which we used to rig up the VHS machine for a while. Worked OK.

I would post it to you, but it got thrown away when we abandoned the VHS player :(

I would think they would swap the unopened one but just not refund. Returns have tightened up a lot though these days, even M&S, Argos was once the bane of the industry due to it's returns policy being more generous than other retailers. Not unusual when the lorry delivers to have nearly as much going back as returns as being dropped off.

One of the biggest problems I have found though is customer's intolerance of accepting anything that shows signs of being previously opened these days. The same people that have coat pockets stuffed with bags for life are happy to take a computer printer back, for it to be slung in the landfill, because it had fingerprints on the lid when they opened the box.

My favourite one is customers that want to destroy displays trawling through every one of a product instore to find immaculate packaging because 'it's for a gift'. I imagine the recipient really appreciates this extra mile they went to when they're doing the photo to put it on ebay.

Remember though when Amazon's charm offensive ends and they decide returns are reaching intolerable levels it's a long walk to Luxembourg. <_<

I believe that no retailer actually has to legally accept unwanted items...only if its faulty....Online, its different, as you can enforce your distance selling rights...

It's a bit of a grey area but we don't accept anything back, under distance selling, that's had anything more done to it than a visual inspection to the extent that would be permitted in a physical store.