House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Mobile Tethering

Say, if you got rid of your landline, etc...would there be any problems in running multiple devices through your phone/mifi connection (and you had an unlimited data allowance)? For instance smart TV, a couple of laptops & a tablet?

Say, if you got rid of your landline, etc...would there be any problems in running multiple devices through your phone/mifi connection (and you had an unlimited data allowance)? For instance smart TV, a couple of laptops & a tablet?

In theory, not. In practice, I suspect most mifis would struggle to cope with more than a few devices at a time. I have had around 4 or so connecting happily, although occasionally slowly, through mine. Occasionally, the demands would overwhelm the little mifi's mind and it would have to be restarted - but that can happen with a normal landline router-modem anyhow. I'd expect a few hiccups if you are regularly streaming TV. Mobile connections by their nature tend to be a bit more variable than landline ones - although you may get away with it in the middle of a large city.

Be careful that your unlimited data allowance actually covers tethering. Most do not.

In theory, not. In practice, I suspect most mifis would struggle to cope with more than a few devices at a time. I have had around 4 or so connecting happily, although occasionally slowly, through mine. Occasionally, the demands would overwhelm the little mifi's mind and it would have to be restarted - but that can happen with a normal landline router-modem anyhow. I'd expect a few hiccups if you are regularly streaming TV. Mobile connections by their nature tend to be a bit more variable than landline ones - although you may get away with it in the middle of a large city.

Be careful that your unlimited data allowance actually covers tethering. Most do not.

My three contract would charge me an extra tenner for tethering...mifi dongles often allow you to tether up to 5 devices, but I'm not so sure about a smartphone connection...

A friend of mine is thinking about this...His home broadband gives him around 3.5Mb, whereas his 3 3g connection gives him 11... :unsure:

By coincidence, today I was asking the same question of my own monthly contract.

I called into the Vodafone shop and they said that their monthly tariffs included tethering (and this had been the case for some time). However, I would still encourage people to check for themselves.

Also, re MIFI dongles, there used to be a very good deal on "3" pre-paid data only sim cards, e.g. £11/12 for 3 months/3Gb but the price of these has now shot up to £19/20.

One last thing to consider. Tethering may result in pages being rendered differently when browsing. I'm pretty sure I remember 3 doing weird stuff with compressing images and also JavaScript. This occasionally meant some sites wouldn't work correctly. This was a few years back though.

My smartphone says it'll do 8 devices. I'm not sure I actually believe it though.

My three contract would charge me an extra tenner for tethering...mifi dongles often allow you to tether up to 5 devices, but I'm not so sure about a smartphone connection...

A friend of mine is thinking about this...His home broadband gives him around 3.5Mb, whereas his 3 3g connection gives him 11... :unsure:

My 3 contract incudes tethering. £15 per month, the One Plan.

It does make your iPhone get really hot, though.

My 3 contract incudes tethering. £15 per month, the One Plan.

It does make your iPhone get really hot, though.

My contract expressly does not permit tethering

However I do tether to my tablet when out and about, it's fine, how would they know?

I suppose if you used it for domestic internet then the usage statistics would indicate you were tethering

One other thing, it uses tonnes of battery, on the 2 android phones I've had anyway

You are lucky with your tethering. I often get half a page shown then everything blocks until I hit reload on the browser a couple of times. Anything more than looking at text is a nono.

I'm sure when I've tethered through Virgin, images have been poorer quality as if they would be acceptable on a mobile device (or maybe I imagined it).

Mind those days are over. My cable has been upgraded. :rolleyes:

BBMAXXXXXXXCapture.JPG

Back of the net!

Whether tethering is allowed or not, depends on the network.

As does image compression, for instance. T-Mobile used to do this, Three never did.

We used Three for about 5 years as our primary broadband connection since ADSL is crap here and there's no cable or alternative.

That was with a dongle, router, roof antenna etc. - phones just don't get the signal strength, dongle is better, roof antenna better still.

Now we just have an EE 4G dongle and that's shared around the house with internet connection sharing (it is possible, though there's a trick to it)

Outperforms ADSL by about 10x downstream and 20x upstream. It's really quite fast for a non cabled area.

On the other hand it costs £30 per 10GB.

Just a note: if you put a Three "One Plan" SIM into a MBB dongle, they will detect this and void your SIM card.

Whether tethering is allowed or not, depends on the network.

As does image compression, for instance. T-Mobile used to do this, Three never did.

We used Three for about 5 years as our primary broadband connection since ADSL is crap here and there's no cable or alternative.

That was with a dongle, router, roof antenna etc. - phones just don't get the signal strength, dongle is better, roof antenna better still.

Now we just have an EE 4G dongle and that's shared around the house with internet connection sharing (it is possible, though there's a trick to it)

Outperforms ADSL by about 10x downstream and 20x upstream. It's really quite fast for a non cabled area.

On the other hand it costs £30 per 10GB.

Just a note: if you put a Three "One Plan" SIM into a MBB dongle, they will detect this and void your SIM card.

We are on three's "One Plan" and have been for '3' years now, rural area and much faster than ADSL. My wife runs her data hungry work computer through either a Galaxy S3 or my S4 and that's the only time we have trouble streaming content on our own personal devices.

Just ran a speed test and I'm getting 6.5meg download and 2meg upload with the phone not particularly well placed upstairs, still 6x more than my old BT broadband.

£18 a month can't knock it for the price.

I gave up on BT when they failed repeatedly to repair our semi rural landline and switched to tethering on 3.

We have a 15Gb per month mifi thing that happily runs 4 computer simultaneously - inc youtubing etc. The only snags we've noticed are that it maxes out at five connected devices and it can get full with people's phones instead of computers - and no error message to advise you. Also, you'd be amazed at the bandwidth consumed by teenagers (I have two). When the children are home we have had to buy another sim a couple of times (or put them on internet cold turkey (good for their health, I think)).

I also have the One Plan on my S2 which gets hammered when the states of <me at home> AND <15Gb eaten> overlap.