House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bradbury Robinson

Audio Through Amp/tv...

I've had an amp and speaker set-up on the TV at home now for a good ten years and always had all of the sources plugged into the amp for audio and switched between them as necessary. Satellite was HDMI out to TV for picture and I believe sound went to the amp via a component connection of some sort, I also have an original Xbox set-up in a similar fashion, mainly due to the limited connection options on the old TV.

I've now bought one of these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40F5500AKXXU

I'm thinking now, to save on having to switch between inputs on the amp when changing sources, that I could look into having the two sources into the TV directly and then the TV optical out to the amp, as both have this connection available.

Is that how it is done? Have I always done it **** about tit?

I forgot to say, one of the reasons I'm wondering is because the TV has built in Freeview HD and smart functions which at present are not wired into the amp so volume has to be adjusted via the TV itself. So there are in fact three sources.

It might be that the TV won't pass through SPDIF audio from other input sources. However, the experiment to find out will only cost you a fiver on Ebay (for an SPDIF cable, if you don't already have one).

The only other gotcha I can think of is that if you're playing a lossy compressed audio type out of the DVD/BD player (e.g. DTS-HD or Dolby 5.1), that the TV will decode it in a way that isn't helpful (e.g. matrixing it to 2.0) and then passing the buggered about with audio to the amp.

Again, the cost of experimenting isn't much.

Looks like I'll have to give it a go. I do know from past experience that the amp would not pass through audio of different connection types as that was a pain previously. I'm not too worried about the DTS/5.1 issue, not even sure if I have anything capable of delivering them, just as long as we can get some stereo output will be fine.