House Price Crash Forum

Breaking ! Helicopter Crashes Into Glasgow Pub

RDW

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk...w-west-25163045

5 Live saying it's a police helicopter

Ed Miliband said it was "shocking news from Glasgow. All my thoughts are with those who have been injured.

"It was just a bang, my daughter said it was like a firework explosion, something like that. There doesn't appear to be a fire."

Mr Miliband then laid down some house moves while his daughter did a helicopter by twirling her arms and making chukka-chukka noises.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Horrible, best wishes to those recovering. Looks like ran out of fuel, no major fire like the London accident. These choppers are two engined and on a lease from another company, which normally supplies the whole country/region. Ships are new and well maintained. Pilot's excellent normally ex-mil and well trained.

They use a lot of fuel in the hover, maybe a leak or instrumentation.

The other big problem for helicopters is tail gearbox failure but the crash would end up as a big mess with bits everywhere.

Media not reporting on the pilot and observers. I would imagine this will speed up the introduction of the unmanned lightweight drones.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Pilot probably got a kickng for interrupting drink time.

I pity the terrorist that attacks Glasgow. :lol:

Already happened. Set himself on fire by accident - and got a boot in the face from the 'hero' Smeaton.

I don't think sunny Jockland is on many terrorist hit lists anytime soon. Glasgow is about the only place on the planet suicide bombers say "****** that"

HOLA4410

Already happened. Set himself on fire by accident - and got a boot in the face from the 'hero' Smeaton.

I don't think sunny Jockland is on many terrorist hit lists anytime soon. Glasgow is about the only place on the planet suicide bombers say "****** that"

:lol:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I've had the 'news' on in the background for the last hour or so and other than the basic fact that a helicopter crash landed on the roof of a pub (which is established straight away in the headline bar), there's been almost nothing of note reported despite the fact that the story is getting non-stop airtime.

Just endless interviews with people gushing about how fantastically great the people were at the site of the incident in how they responded to adversity, or 'reporters' commiserating with people about how terribly sad the whole thing is.

Given that this happened 12 hours ago in a major UK city, the news reporting has been pathetically weak.

HOLA4413

Given that this happened 12 hours ago in a major UK city, the news reporting has been pathetically weak.

TBH there isn't really terribly much to report. Helicopter crashed onto pub, don't know why, unknown number of casualties, the end.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I've had the 'news' on in the background for the last hour or so and other than the basic fact that a helicopter crash landed on the roof of a pub (which is established straight away in the headline bar), there's been almost nothing of note reported despite the fact that the story is getting non-stop airtime.

Just endless interviews with people gushing about how fantastically great the people were at the site of the incident in how they responded to adversity, or 'reporters' commiserating with people about how terribly sad the whole thing is.

I also find the media gushing quite nauseating.

Human chains ? Everyone running to the pub rather than away from it ? Highly unlikely imo.

Considering the number of pics we have been shown - and the fact everyone is right onto their phones to video everything they see - there seems to be a distinct lack of any pics of all these apparent 'heroes'. .

As i have already said - the Glasgow airport incident is a better indication of the real Glasgow imo

John Smeaton could not have known exactly what was happening. He saw a guy who crashed a car and was on fire. He kicked him in the head. He became a 'hero'.

Its the Glasgow way in my experience. Full of themselves but the rest of Scotland generally thinks most of them are total tools.

Not to take away from the fact that this is of course a very sad incident for all involved. But its hardly the end of the world. Harsh but fair imo.

HOLA4417

Looking at a clip of what type of helicopter that crashed, it looks big, not suprised it went through the roof. From what I gather about helicopters is it's pretty much a given that all occupants die when they come down, bit unlucky where it landed. Did they purposely try and put it down on the roof?

wasn't that long ago that Colin Macrae (rally driver) died in a helicopter crash in Scotland.

HOLA4418

I also find the media gushing quite nauseating.

Human chains ? Everyone running to the pub rather than away from it ? Highly unlikely imo.

Considering the number of pics we have been shown - and the fact everyone is right onto their phones to video everything they see - there seems to be a distinct lack of any pics of all these apparent 'heroes'. .

As i have already said - the Glasgow airport incident is a better indication of the real Glasgow imo

John Smeaton could not have known exactly what was happening. He saw a guy who crashed a car and was on fire. He kicked him in the head. He became a 'hero'.

Its the Glasgow way in my experience. Full of themselves but the rest of Scotland generally thinks most of them are total tools.

Not to take away from the fact that this is of course a very sad incident for all involved. But its hardly the end of the world. Harsh but fair imo.

We seem to have turned the corner now, from heroics to bad feeling about how the operation is going. Family on sky an hour ago saying they can hear their brothers mobile ringing in the wreckage, but are getting no answers from the authorities about when his body will be taken out. They are saying lift the helicopter with a crane and pull the remaining walls out on to the pavement, and do it quickly, the PTB seem only interested in preserving the wreckage for doing later tests to see what happened?

HOLA4419

We seem to have turned the corner now, from heroics to bad feeling about how the operation is going. Family on sky an hour ago saying they can hear their brothers mobile ringing in the wreckage, but are getting no answers from the authorities about when his body will be taken out. They are saying lift the helicopter with a crane and pull the remaining walls out on to the pavement, and do it quickly, the PTB seem only interested in preserving the wreckage for doing later tests to see what happened?

Health and safety probably.

For all the chat about heroic firemen etc - fact is they have a pretty safe job.

HOLA4420

Looking at a clip of what type of helicopter that crashed, it looks big, not suprised it went through the roof. From what I gather about helicopters is it's pretty much a given that all occupants die when they come down...

Not necessarily - pilots are trained to, and reguarly practise "autorotation" landings if there is a loss of power. But of course that does rather depend on what is underneath you when the emergency takes place.

One thing that disturbs me is why no MSM coverage has asked the question, so far, as to why the police were flying helicopters so low over a densely populated area, and building, in the first place. Before I left Yorkshire this was a growing menace, whenever City were playing at home or the races were on. There'd be a police helicopter circling the city centre into the small hours of the morning, and local residents were getting steadily angrier at the noise.

At the very least these things are a noise nuisance, and at worst they are, as we've just seen, a serious hazard. If, as I suspect, they are being used increasingly as a cost-cutting measure to avoid having to put a larger number of police officers on the ground, then questions need to be asked. IMO the flying of helicopters low over densely populated areas should only be allowed in rare and tightly defined circumstances, e.g. searching for a dangerous criminal on the run, or when an actual riot is in progress.

HOLA4421

Not necessarily - pilots are trained to, and reguarly practise "autorotation" landings if there is a loss of power. But of course that does rather depend on what is underneath you when the emergency takes place.

One thing that disturbs me is why no MSM coverage has asked the question, so far, as to why the police were flying helicopters so low over a densely populated area, and building, in the first place. Before I left Yorkshire this was a growing menace, whenever City were playing at home or the races were on. There'd be a police helicopter circling the city centre into the small hours of the morning, and local residents were getting steadily angrier at the noise.

At the very least these things are a noise nuisance, and at worst they are, as we've just seen, a serious hazard. If, as I suspect, they are being used increasingly as a cost-cutting measure to avoid having to put a larger number of police officers on the ground, then questions need to be asked. IMO the flying of helicopters low over densely populated areas should only be allowed in rare and tightly defined circumstances, e.g. searching for a dangerous criminal on the run, or when an actual riot is in progress.

The landing pad was a mile away, so probably approaching base after a routine patrol? Most big cities are regularly covered by police helicopter, but as you say it would be a way to cover ground without patrols on the ground so to speak. After a certain point I suppose the pilot loses control of what he is going to hit in a crash situation, imagine it had been a primary school in the daytime or something? The big row will start if it is found that somebody has been alive in the wreckage overnight or something, and due to delays getting in there has subsequently died, or did the rescuers know for sure on the night that everyone alive was out?

HOLA4422

When this accident broke news in France questions were asked straight away were they after a gang of robbers ?

An ex Air France pilot who comments on a TV show called 'Dangers in the Sky' pointed out the dangers of helicopters being used in a city at night time.

They didn't mention the heros.

I read the torygraph and it seems that this is the third accident that they have had since 2002 in Glasgow and they even seem to be sad that they don't have anymore helicopters left.

The wail talks the heros and the comments such as "Glasgow boys don't run away' makes it sound like a war.

They only went for a pint on a Friday night they didn't ask to become living legends and heros.

I can understand helicopters being used to save lives on the mountains or oil rigs ,riots and chasing thiefs on a motorway but this does not seem to be the case.

The heroic firemen don't seem to be able to handling this tragic accident as well as you would of thought i wouldn't like to even imagine the chaos if it had of crashed into a shopping centre .

HOLA4423

A whole lot of questions not really being asked by a media which seems only to be there to put a touchy-feely spin on events rather than find out facts and report them - which prompted me to make my original post in the thread.

There seems to be a lot of obfuscation and foot dragging going on, I wonder if it is to spare the blushes of the authorities?

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424

My link

Well well well. Seems my idea of the 'real Glasgow' was spot on.

I wonder what Billy Connely and the rest of those having a *****fest about how wonderful the Glasgow people are - have to say about this.. . . . :rolleyes:

Archived