House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battenberg

Ps4

Well the PS4 has arrived in our house today and whilst I'm just a girl who obviously doesn't appreciate the finer qualities of a Killzone game I'm not sure it's that much different to the PS3.

Could somebody educate me, please.

Well the PS4 has arrived in our house today and whilst I'm just a girl who obviously doesn't appreciate the finer qualities of a Killzone game I'm not sure it's that much different to the PS3.

I don't even understand real iife that well! :(

Some of the reviews of said electronic box are equally bemused.

I don't really get video games either - there are probably no more than a dozen which I've played for more than five minutes and I can go years without feeling the urge to play one.

Some of the reviews of said electronic box are equally bemused.

I don't really get video games either - there are probably no more than a dozen which I've played for more than five minutes and I can go years without feeling the urge to play one.

Nor me! I'd rather bash out bad tunes on the guitar, or piano, or look into a bad gearbox! And be inspired! :unsure:

I have played "pong" in a pub in 1978, and another one where I played "virtual golf", and indeed "real golf", is probably not something I have done so often! In this "virtual golf" I was a black man with silver hair! :o

Pretty avid gaming fan.

So far the release of next hen games is underwhellming and they are very expensive.

Meanwhile because I was late to the party have a shedload of stuff not played on ps3. This will keep me busy for a year or two until 4 is up to scratch.

Given the reliabilty of new models plus the lack of games it's hard to see why anyone would make the trade at the mkment

Pretty avid gaming fan.

So far the release of next hen games is underwhellming and they are very expensive.

Meanwhile because I was late to the party have a shedload of stuff not played on ps3. This will keep me busy for a year or two until 4 is up to scratch.

Given the reliabilty of new models plus the lack of games it's hard to see why anyone would make the trade at the mkment

Yes, being a year or two behind the cutting edge is a good way of getting the best out of most tech stuff.

Yes, being a year or two behind the cutting edge is a good way of getting the best out of most tech stuff.

My guess is that after Xmas there will be a massive sell off in PS3/Xbox 360 games as all the people who have upgraded sell in order to get cash to buy the new stuff.

If you are like me and aren't that interested in online multiplayer (I have a couple of games like this I like, but the vast majority I play offline) then there are going to be some serious bargins available.

There only seems to be a pretty marginal improvement with the X-Bone, my 360 still seems in its prime with GTA V (with flagship games selling very cheaply now), video gaming has become relatively stagnant creatively and technologically in the past 5+ years (I've become a bit bored with it), my brand new blu ray player plus newish laptop and smartphone can do a load of online multi-media stuff anyway, and my Nintendo 3DS XL was a surprisingly good investment (with a brilliant back catalogue of classic retro game and new stuff).

I'm actually having ambition of getting an art tablet set instead of a new gen games console next year and wait a while until Nintendo's next handheld is a fully fledge gaming tablet that is a improved, more commercially lucky version of the Wii U.

£400 to buy the console. The games are £50. You have to subscribe to playstation plus to use it, at a yearly cost of £39.99. Each game has downloadable content that also costs money.

There is no doubt that the games are getting more expensive. More and more is being pushed towards dlc. So the racing games that I like before they would come with loads of tracks and cars. Now you get only a few tracks and cars and many are dlc. I have a gut feeling that we reached peak value in computer games a couple of years ago. from now on it is all downhill.

That said, computer games to me still off excellent value. Take a movie dvd for example. You may watch that 3-4 times and it costs a tenner. A computer game at 50 quid gives probably over 100 hours of entertainment, so in terms of cost per hour it is pretty good (at least in my opinion).

Of course if you spend 50 quid and buy a turkey you dont like then there is an issue ... that's why its important to do the homework on line first !

There only seems to be a pretty marginal improvement with the X-Bone, my 360 still seems in its prime with GTA V (with flagship games selling very cheaply now), video gaming has become relatively stagnant creatively and technologically in the past 5+ years (I've become a bit bored with it), my brand new blu ray player plus newish laptop and smartphone can do a load of online multi-media stuff anyway, and my Nintendo 3DS XL was a surprisingly good investment (with a brilliant back catalogue of classic retro game and new stuff).

I'm actually having ambition of getting an art tablet set instead of a new gen games console next year and wait a while until Nintendo's next handheld is a fully fledge gaming tablet that is a improved, more commercially lucky version of the Wii U.

If you look at the early PS3/XB 360 games they are not much better than the previous generations PS2/XB games. It takes time for the developers to get used to the hardware. I think this is especially the case for PS4, which is a significant change in architecture compared with PS3. Just another reason not to pitch in early if you ask me.

If you look at the early PS3/XB 360 games they are not much better than the previous generations PS2/XB games. It takes time for the developers to get used to the hardware. I think this is especially the case for PS4, which is a significant change in architecture compared with PS3. Just another reason not to pitch in early if you ask me.

You'd have to wait two to four years for the genuinely impressive stuff to get released, but even so I found the XBox360 in 2005 more of a step up in graphics than the PS2 at the time and even later PS2 games look pretty artistically adequate right now. We've hit a plateau since the 2000s.

My guess is that after Xmas there will be a massive sell off in PS3/Xbox 360 games as all the people who have upgraded sell in order to get cash to buy the new stuff.

If you are like me and aren't that interested in online multiplayer (I have a couple of games like this I like, but the vast majority I play offline) then there are going to be some serious bargins available.

Indeed. It's been a long time since I had a console, might get one again soon though. Last one I had was a PS one when the shape was revised and sold for £99, and the 'platinum' range of games was extensive and good value by that time.

You'd have to wait two to four years for the genuinely impressive stuff to get released, but even so I found the XBox360 in 2005 more of a step up in graphics than the PS2 at the time and even later PS2 games look pretty artistically adequate right now. We've hit a plateau since the 2000s.

Well ..... I don't think so. There is a massive difference to me between graphics now on the PS3 and when it was first released. I don't really know about PS2 in comparison.

Thing is although many of the latest PS3 games are not photo realistic they are getting close, so yes I believe the laws of diminishing returns will apply eventually. There is to me much less difference between the PS4 at the moment and end PS3 games, but the PS4 will pull ahead eventually. Smoother frame rates and higher definition, but in agreement , yes the end product will be less of an improvement because there is less to improve, if that makes any sense.

One thing that I don't think is worth waiting for is for PS3 to come down in price. This is something I have been thinking of because I have been considering buying a backup.

Thing is as I see it the PS3 is very expensive to manufacture, so I reckon it is down to the bare bones already on price. I reckon sony are more likely to cut it than reduce its price to a bargin basement product, unless they do some re-engineering.

Indeed. It's been a long time since I had a console, might get one again soon though. Last one I had was a PS one when the shape was revised and sold for £99, and the 'platinum' range of games was extensive and good value by that time.

I went for the PS3 12gb. Got it for £145, which was pretty cheap. 12 gb is good for about 5-10 games (depending on what game you get), but I liked it so much by that point investing a few quid in a 250gb hard drive was a no brainer. The upgrade is simple.

I went for the PS3 12gb. Got it for £145, which was pretty cheap. 12 gb is good for about 5-10 games (depending on what game you get), but I liked it so much by that point investing a few quid in a 250gb hard drive was a no brainer. The upgrade is simple.

Cheers for that, noted.