House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

House Music : It Started In Manchester ...

Channel 4 are looking to confuse me in yet another aspect of life I thought I'd nailed down. This time it's the trivial or not so trivial matter of House Music.

Personally, I can relate to the words of Lil' Louis who boldly stated "I was born House and I'll die House." So, much as I'd love to imagine House Music was born of white, English origin (as in "see, I might be white but I'm not that square and I can dance!"), I know it ain't true. How bemused was I then to find a black guy on Channel 4 news - and supposedly one who'd researched the topic (making a film about House to cash in on the revival) declare that house music was born in the Hacienda!

Yep, he does discover during the documentary that the House sound was of black origin (shocker) but he failed badly in identifying its true roots in Chicago. What kind of documentary makers do we have nowadays, and how come the oldies on the Ch4 news team didn't point out the real facts?

Sigh.

and Sign:

Honorary_Frankie_Knuckles_Way.jpg

The oldest oldie in Channel4 has just passed foetus stage and is a neonate. No chance of them having a clue. ?

John Snow might be pretty nippy about town on his bike but even I can see his existence fatally undermines your assertion! :D

John Snow might be pretty nippy about town on his bike but even I can see his existence fatally undermines your assertion! :D

Except that it's the exception that generally proves the rule! :P

If it wasn't Paul Mason then someone has obviously been reading Stuart Maconie's article on how to write about the North in the NS

http://www.newstates...ite-about-north

mention Manchester, music, Hacienda (proxy for Tony Wilson), show some guys and gals from Moss Side dancing in the street....... straight from the Maconie playbook! :D

If your piece is more generally positive, you may want to include something about the region’s achievements. But remember to keep this largely to football, comedy and pop music. Display a familiarity with – but a patrician distance from – the works of the Stone Roses, Tony Wilson, Bez (he’s a funny one!) Arctic Monkeys, Jarvis Cocker, Oasis, the Verve, John Cooper Clarke and New Order
On no account waste your time dredging up any of the region’s political, scientific or cultural achievements; these are somewhat dull and worthy, and not exactly representative of the North as we like to think of it. Think Noel Gallagher, Gary Neville and Peter Kaye, not Alan Turing, Henry Moore, Rutherford splitting the Atom, the Pankhursts, Wordsworth, Engels or the Peterloo Massacre.

Not giving a f*ck about house I was more impressed by the way whatshername segued effortlessly into the following piece on China going to war in the South China sea. Smooth.......

If it wasn't Paul Mason then someone has obviously been reading Stuart Maconie's article on how to write about the North in the NS

http://www.newstates...ite-about-north

mention Manchester, music, Hacienda (proxy for Tony Wilson), show some guys and gals from Moss Side dancing in the street....... straight from the Maconie playbook! :D

Not giving a f*ck about house I was more impressed by the way whatshername segued effortlessly into the following piece on China going to war in the South China sea. Smooth.......

Niels Bohr, Lowry, Simon Rattle, Charles Halle, Sir Malcolm Sargent, Sir Thomas Beecham, the Guardian newspaper (I once had an argument with a room of southerners who insisted it was from London), Paul McCreesh, George Stephenson (who invented a mining safety lamp at same time as Davey but was not commonly acknowledged on account of having a strong northern accent and poorer education, even then, although he won out over train design over the longer haul), Sir Nigel Gresley

Niels Bohr, Lowry, Simon Rattle, Charles Halle, Sir Malcolm Sargent, Sir Thomas Beecham, the Guardian newspaper (I once had an argument with a room of southerners who insisted it was from London), Paul McCreesh, George Stephenson (who invented a mining safety lamp at same time as Davey but was not commonly acknowledged on account of having a strong northern accent and poorer education, even then, although he won out over train design over the longer haul), Sir Nigel Gresley

You forgot Bez.

I always got the impression that House music was the offspring of Motown and New Wave music.

And disco....

House has it's influences from lots of different sources.

However I think I read that people like Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Derrick Carter etc... all had influences from people like New Order, Kraftwerk etc... There is no birthplace of house as such. As a global phenomena the UK was where house took off and Manchester certainly had a role in that.