House Price Crash Forum

Another "what Car To Get"-- Skoda Fabia Vrs Diesel ?

motch

HOLA441

Any thoughts, anyone owned one of these? would suit most of my needs, as always with what i'd like they're a bit pricey for their age.

Go for an older cheaper higher mileage (but well looked after) model. Or bite the bullet and pay the premium for a lower mileage slightly newer reg?

HOLA442
HOLA443

The brakes are weak, the suspension is poor, the massive engine affects the handling, the interior has all the charm of an East German public convenience (expect the seats to be, er, stained) and of course it's a diesel. So it ain't no hot hatch.

Having said that, their owners love them, they're an enthusiastic bunch and some of the problems are easily and reasonably cheaply fixed. They're broadly reliable, pretty economical, practical for a small car and have enough performance to get by.

I would buy one but wait for a good one...

Turbos, clutches and flywheels are not cheap and service history is important on these engines.

HOLA444
HOLA445

The brakes are weak, the suspension is poor, the massive engine affects the handling, the interior has all the charm of an East German public convenience (expect the seats to be, er, stained) and of course it's a diesel. So it ain't no hot hatch.

Having said that, their owners love them, they're an enthusiastic bunch and some of the problems are easily and reasonably cheaply fixed. They're broadly reliable, pretty economical, practical for a small car and have enough performance to get by.

Turbos, clutches and flywheels are not cheap and service history is important on these engines.

Link?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Cheers for the info. Although i know a mechanic guy who's got one that he's tuned to near 200bhp, not sure if that will last though.

thinking maybe an older clio 172, nearly 40mpg if driven like an old grandma, and decent performance when needed ?

HOLA448

Cheers for the info. Although i know a mechanic guy who's got one that he's tuned to near 200bhp, not sure if that will last though.

thinking maybe an older clio 172, nearly 40mpg if driven like an old grandma, and decent performance when needed ?

Don't thank me, thank the internetz. That's just a compressed version of what's on record. Nearly bought one myself.

172 will be very different, some better, some worse.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Good little cars. I ran one for six years and passed it on to the wife earlier this year.

HOLA4411

Clio fanboy alert...... :).

The issue with a lot of VRs now is that they have been cheaply modded. I would want a castiron history to show it has not been modded up to 180hp plus..... And as said, the seats will be grim...... No amount of valeting will make them NOT look like it was used for a tramps' bukkake scene

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Clio fanboy alert...... :).

The issue with a lot of VRs now is that they have been cheaply modded. I would want a castiron history to show it has not been modded up to 180hp plus..... And as said, the seats will be grim...... No amount of valeting will make them NOT look like it was used for a tramps' bukkake scene

I'd think the Clio would be a very well balanced and decent handling car, which would suit my varied twisty commute, and decent-ish mpg for a nippy hatch with easy/safe overtakes. Mate of mine was selling a half decent one a little while ago but he was after too much for it really. A bit of a metro-sexual car the 172 (the extra oomph makes up for it :P )

Yes the trouble with the sporty TD's are the easy/cheap modding that goes on.

I must admit I haven't seen a Tramps bukkake scene - bet there's one out there somewhere :blink:

HOLA4415

Is there much difference between the 172 & 182?

I think they're similar performance due to the 182 being heavier than the 172. Although maybe the older 172 have been ragged for longer so are perhaps nearer 150bhp after 10 years or so. not sure though.

Archived