House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thecrashingisles

Westfield Croydon - £1Bn Investment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25100374

A £1bn deal to regenerate two shopping centres in Croydon has been approved by the council, with the promise of 5,000 jobs being created.

Hammerson and the Australian giant Westfield are to come together to transform Croydon's Whitgift and Centrale shopping centres.

The scheme now has to go to the London mayor's office for final approval.

Croydon Central MP Gavin Barwell said he hoped the scheme would encourage more people to invest in the area.

Detailed designs for the scheme will be unveiled next year and building work could begin in 2015.

It never fails to surprise me how much companies are still prepared to spend on the development of retail space.

I have not been to Croydon in years, but Wiki reveals that the Centrale centre was only built in 2004. How much 'regeneration' can it actually need in 9 years? I seem to recall it being received as quite a modern centre at the time.

I live near Kingston upon Thames, and it's main shopping complex (the Bentall Centre) was opened back in 1992 and with no major refurbs at all it still manages to look and feel modern enough inside. They have just redesigned the frontage which was very much 'of it's time', but apart from that it looks similar to things built much more recently.

It is interesting that the Bentall Centre was seen as a massive development when it was built and it is tiny compared to the things going up now.

It never fails to surprise me how much companies are still prepared to spend on the development of retail space.

I have not been to Croydon in years, but Wiki reveals that the Centrale centre was only built in 2004. How much 'regeneration' can it actually need in 9 years? I seem to recall it being received as quite a modern centre at the time.

I live near Kingston upon Thames, and it's main shopping complex (the Bentall Centre) was opened back in 1992 and with no major refurbs at all it still manages to look and feel modern enough inside. They have just redesigned the frontage which was very much 'of it's time', but apart from that it looks similar to things built much more recently.

It is interesting that the Bentall Centre was seen as a massive development when it was built and it is tiny compared to the things going up now.

Centrale was refurbished (not that well) in 2004 by adding the former C&A store to the early 1980's Drummond Centre (that was also constructed on the cheap) and then renaming it. Both have always been in the shadow of the Whitgift.

The Drummond Centre was used by our school geography department for field trips to show how to NOT to do shopping redevelopments :lol:

Edited by koala_bear

Just because it goes through planning, doesn't mean it'll necessarily get built.

The council are pretty happy with the proposal as they now get a slice of any incremental business rates. Westfield and Hammerson are more likely to be able to fund/get funding than other groups.

I remember the that place when it first opened...went back rencently. Kingston has, er, 'changed' a lot since then

That was the case when I was a kid in matter of fact. They used to get architects from all over the world touring the Whitgift centre showing them how not to do things. It suffered from terrible wind tunnels. Don't know if that is still the case after 2-3 refurbishments since then.

I don't know why they're bothering really. The residents will only burn it down.

The wind tunnel and most other major issues were sorted 2 refurbs ago. A good case study in getting on a fixing screw-ups with the original design now.

I remember the that place when it first opened...went back rencently. Kingston has, er, 'changed' a lot since then

That is what a lot of people say, but I guess I just don't see it as I have always lived nearby since then. There has been a swift building of loads of new flats, the increase in chavs and the general social decline that everywhere in the UK has seen in the past 20 years, but I think it has improved in more relative to other areas than it has gone downhill.

Then again, I never thought that Kingston was particularly 'posh' in the traditional sense to start with either.

The council are pretty happy with the proposal as they now get a slice of any incremental business rates. Westfield and Hammerson are more likely to be able to fund/get funding than other groups.

While i appreciate that the edge of London is wealthier, I'm going on the experience in Chester, which was the 11th biggest Uk shopping city a few yrs ago.

The proposed shopping centre has been waiting for 12+ yrs to be built

From 2012...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-16978137

The redevelopment of part of Chester city centre will now be handled by the council, after it cut ties with the firm chosen to work on the project.

The £460m regeneration of the Northgate shopping area was to be handled by ING Real Estate Developers.

The firm struck a deal with the former Chester City Council in 2000, but plans were put on hold for financial reasons

While i appreciate that the edge of London is wealthier, I'm going on the experience in Chester, which was the 11th biggest Uk shopping city a few yrs ago.

The proposed shopping centre has been waiting for 12+ yrs to be built

From 2012...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-16978137

The local authorities always love that type of statistic, but in reality the biggerst shopping centres are the ones with the most recently built centres. When Kingston got the Bentall Centre, it was about that level as well, now it would probably struggle to register inside the top 30.

Croydon is a strange one, because they have been trying to pour perfume on that particular pig for many years - new shopping centre builds, rebranding it as a 'city' etc etc.

The truth is that it is close to some very affluent areas, but there is no real reason for people from outside the immediate area to come to Croydon to go shopping. The public transport links are ok, but the traffic is awful, the layout confusing and the atmosphere and repuation of the place very foreboding.

People from further afield would probably choose to go to Westfield, Bluewater, central London if they wanted the choice of shops wthout the downsides. There is plenty of wealth, but plenty of alternative destinations as well. Having said the Westfield are the masters of attracting people to poor areas to do their shopping. Who would have thought 25 years ago that two of London premier shopping centres would be in Shepherds Bush and Stratford? The only problem is they have created these centres without really causing any improvement to the areas around them.

I am guessing that Chester is similar in that it is quite a big shopping centre in it's own right, but people on bigger trips will venture elsewhere? It certainly couldn't be any more different from Croydon in terms of look and feel!