House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

Barclays Online Banking - Security Certificate

I've just tried to log onto Barclays online banking and both Chrome and IE are reporting that the site security certificate was issued for another site.

I entered the site anyway and it looked normal, but decided not to log on.

Can any experts please comment.

I've just tried to log onto Barclays online banking and both Chrome and IE are reporting that the site security certificate was issued for another site.

https://bank.barclays.co.uk shows okay here, if thats the site you mean. If you still see it as invalid then check your dns settings/local hosts file.

Maybe post the exact URL where you are having a problem, so other users could check it out?

I was thinking the certificate could have expired, this is suprisingly common even at "Blue Chip" companies. But that doesn't really match your error. What is the exact wording of your error?

Maybe post the exact URL where you are having a problem, so other users could check it out?

I was thinking the certificate could have expired, this is suprisingly common even at "Blue Chip" companies. But that doesn't really match your error. What is the exact wording of your error?

www.ibank.barclays.co.uk

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

www.ibank.barclays.co.uk

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

My current log in is not with ibank......suggest you log in using the main site links of barclays.co.uk and use their live talk facility..

My current log in is not with ibank......suggest you log in using the main site links of barclays.co.uk and use their live talk facility..

Their main site login points to bank.barclays.uk not ibank.barclays.uk.

Perhaps they've dropped the "i" and run the two log ins on parallel until now. I checked my online banking membership card and it says www.ibank.barclays.co.uk and I've used that since they first started online banking donkey's years ago.

ibank.barclays.co.uk actually routes me to bank.barclays.co.uk, and changes the URL to bank.barclays.co.uk

If I then select in IE:

view > security report > the click on view certificate, it shows the cert was issues to bank.barclays.co.uk

somehow I think a confussion has happened between ibank and bank

ibank.barclays.co.uk actually routes me to bank.barclays.co.uk, and changes the URL to bank.barclays.co.uk

If I then select in IE:

view > security report > the click on view certificate, it shows the cert was issues to bank.barclays.co.uk

somehow I think a confussion has happened between ibank and bank

Thanks for taking the trouble to check it out. I think it's safe to login using bank rather than ibank.

And yes, I hadn't noticed before, if I ignore the warning and login with ibank it brings up bank.

Looks like a problem in their IT department.

There are reasons why this can be.

1. You are on a fake site. Run!!!

2. The security certificates are corrupted and not working.

3. Their network is having problems passing authentication of the certificate - could be a closed port in a server or switch or firewall somewhere.

4. Often the most common reason - the certificate has expired and no one knows at their end. The techies have not renewed it or, more likely, renewing it became an admin job (Can't trust the techies with money can you?) and they simply have forgotten to renew it. I have seen this so many times.

Check the time and date on your PC. Sometimes when it has reset or is wildly wrong it will throw up errors like this.

The certificate the site is serving appears to be OK (https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=ibank.barclays.co.uk)

Of course this may not be the certificate you're getting - may have been a config issue first thing, or someone trying to 'Man In The Middle You' i.e. impersonate ibank...

Andy

The certificate the site is serving appears to be OK (https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=ibank.barclays.co.uk)

Of course this may not be the certificate you're getting - may have been a config issue first thing, or someone trying to 'Man In The Middle You' i.e. impersonate ibank...

Andy

Thanks.

Interestingly, that certificate is for ibank. I've just tried it again and ibank still returns a certificate warning, but bank is fine.

ibank is an out of date url