House Price Crash Forum

Ebay To Trial 14 Days Credit To Buyers - Hard Times ?

HOLA441

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/TRY-BEFORE-YOU-BUY-The-future-for-Ebay-Shops/m-p/2329544#U2329544

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY - The future for Ebay Shops?

Options

on ‎23-11-2013 02:56 PM

My sister has recived an invitation to register for a new future offer by Ebay.

Try before you buy - Order your item , receive it and then decide if you want it or not.

You dont pay until 14 days after you order the item and can return it rather than pay for it at that point.

Is this the future for ebay business sellers?

Your thoughts appreciated ?

EDIT:

It may be a paypal option as i found this ebay thread from 4 weeks ago

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying-on-eBay/HOW-DO-I-ACTIVATE-TRY-BEFORE-YOU-BUY/qaq-p/2134074

HOLA442
HOLA443

Could this be because they need to abide by the distance selling regulations and by doing this they avoid having to give refunds as the 10 day refund period is over. Although the distance selling regulations don't apply to private sellers, they do apply to ebay's business sellers.

This removes them from the loop when it comes to shoddy, fake, dodgy goods.

HOLA444

Don't know about ebay but returns under distance selling regulations in general are tiny. Mostly used for buyer remorse on higher ticket things that make the return shipping cost easier to swallow.

Pointless bit of legislation that very few people understand properly. Big grey area as well to what extent the packaging may be opened or the product used.

HOLA445

Could this be because they need to abide by the distance selling regulations and by doing this they avoid having to give refunds as the 10 day refund period is over. Although the distance selling regulations don't apply to private sellers, they do apply to ebay's business sellers.

On the other hand it encourages people to order stuff and then send it back, which costs the seller postage?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

No doubt there is some devious reason that ebay / paypal are thinking of doing it

Don't know about ebay but returns under distance selling regulations in general are tiny. Mostly used for buyer remorse on higher ticket things that make the return shipping cost easier to swallow.

Pointless bit of legislation that very few people understand properly. Big grey area as well to what extent the packaging may be opened or the product used.

I've not come across ambiguity , care to elaborate. I understand with regards to media, such as cd's /dvd & games, unsealed items cannot be returned as they have become devalued by being used

On the other hand it encourages people to order stuff and then send it back, which costs the seller postage?

I am led to believe that if an amazon / ebay seller states in their listing or return policy, that unless the item is 'faulty or not as described' no return postage need be refunded. if they do not display this , the bus. seller has to pay it. Auctions have different rules to buy-it-nows (BINS)

how do you think this will effect house prices?

Not considered it. This thread was posted under the credit expanding "economy" part of this "House prices and the economy" forum.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

And the seller ends up with a second hand item

sounds like a goer to me :D

And the winner is...E BAY every time. I really do not understand how western based companies will compete on E Bay much longer. Orders can be made on E Bay and so much of the tat comes directly from the far East. relatively quickly too.

HOLA4412

I believe the buyer is responsible for return postage

Yes, as long as an online retailer specifies that the return postage is payable by the buyer then the seller isn't responsible for paying this. If they fail to make this clear then the seller is obliged to pay the cost of the return. Sellers are also obliged to pay the cost of returns of faulty goods irrespective.

Original postage costs paid by the buyer must be refunded by the seller when goods are returned.

I wonder if this 14 day period will effect cash flow for sellers. I think it was back last year when paypal were no longer allowed to hold on to the money in your account for days on end once you'd requested a transfer. Now, when you transfer money out, it hits your bank account within appox 2 hours. Perhaps it's going to be more like amazon when they only settle every 2 weeks, I believe.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

HOLA4416

Archived