House Price Crash Forum
clarioniq

Energy Bills Vs Housing Costs

Why do people moan so bitterly about a £10 rise on ~£100 electric or gas bills, but don't seem to mind paying ~£1000 a month for rent or a mortgage?

Why do people get so angry about the power companies making profits for the expensive sourcing and distribution of energy to the home, but don't mind paying 10x as much for a dumb static 30 year old pile of bricks.

Yes I want cheaper and fairer power bills, but it's costs are trivial compared to what the equally essential housing costs. A 1% reduction in housing costs will pay my energy for more than a year! I would personally feel less aggrieved paying say £100 a month for my house, and £1000 a month to power it!

Old people are often used to described as being unable to afford to heat their home and therefore at risk of freezing to death. I wonder, how many of them are rattling around in very expensive old houses (that are too big for them and too expensive to insulate and heat)? I find it hard to have much sympathy to this case.

Just something I think about every time I hear someone moaning about high energy costs.

Why do people moan so bitterly about a £10 rise on ~£100 electric or gas bills, but don't seem to mind paying ~£1000 a month for rent or a mortgage?

Why do people get so angry about the power companies making profits for the expensive sourcing and distribution of energy to the home, but don't mind paying 10x as much for a dumb static 30 year old pile of bricks.

Yes I want cheaper and fairer power bills, but it's costs are trivial compared to what the equally essential housing costs. A 1% reduction in housing costs will pay my energy for more than a year! I would personally feel less aggrieved paying say £100 a month for my house, and £1000 a month to power it!

Old people are often used to described as being unable to afford to heat their home and therefore at risk of freezing to death. I wonder, how many of them are rattling around in very expensive old houses (that are too big for them and too expensive to insulate and heat)? I find it hard to have much sympathy to this case.

Just something I think about every time I hear someone moaning about high energy costs.

Renting energy is dead money, slaving away to pay bank interest is an investment in your future (destitution).

Well, as I have said repeatedly on here in the past 18 months - I think big houses are going to be increasingly unaffordable not just because of the ludicrous asking prices, but also because of the heating costs.

I am seeing, in my part of the world, the big houses mainly being bought by Brit Bangladeshi families - and they nearly always have 3 generations living in them.

One of the benefits I have had from renting is that it has helped clarified the type of house I want. I used to want a big house with a big back garden. No more. Cutting the grass in the small garden of my rental takes up too much time once a week and the heating costs are already high for a small property.

I daren't think what the heating bills of large houses are like now but I have been hearing scary stories of people getting 1K a quarter bills.

IMO the annoyance is that it's a fairly uncontrollable cost.

You get to decide how much you spend on housing. Sure it's all stupidly over-priced but you decide how much you want to throw away on it each month and that then is fixed.

This leaves you with spending money, saving money and bill money.

Anybody on a fixed income (so most pensioners but a lot of other people too) has a monthly budget and when gas / water / electric shoot up that leaves them less to spend on everything else.

We've all seen with inflation over the last few years that it's been highest on essentials like utility bills. petrol and food. That TVs have got cheaper is neither here nor there in your weekly spend but that's what CPI is weighted towards.

Well, as I have said repeatedly on here in the past 18 months - I think big houses are going to be increasingly unaffordable not just because of the ludicrous asking prices, but also because of the heating costs.

I am seeing, in my part of the world, the big houses mainly being bought by Brit Bangladeshi families - and they nearly always have 3 generations living in them.

One of the benefits I have had from renting is that it has helped clarified the type of house I want. I used to want a big house with a big back garden. No more. Cutting the grass in the small garden of my rental takes up too much time once a week and the heating costs are already high for a small property.

I daren't think what the heating bills of large houses are like now but I have been hearing scary stories of people getting 1K a quarter bills.

Good point.

My mums says sutff like 'What do you about houses?'

A lot in fact. Counting places where I've lived for more than 2 months, I've live in about ~20 houses since 18. Houses, flats, even a house boat.

I have a very good grounding in the pros + cons of the various places.

My mums lived in 3.

Personally, I like largish Edwardian to 1950s houses.

New stuff is generally cr.p. I shoudn't be though - Ive stayed in places in the Italian alps - residentail house rather that ski hut- and a Norwegian house, both in Winter.

Both places were warm. The UK renowned for building houses which are no more than expensive, draughty sheds.

Good point.

My mums says sutff like 'What do you about houses?'

A lot in fact. Counting places where I've lived for more than 2 months, I've live in about ~20 houses since 18. Houses, flats, even a house boat.

I have a very good grounding in the pros + cons of the various places.

My mums lived in 3.

Personally, I like largish Edwardian to 1950s houses.

New stuff is generally cr.p. I shoudn't be though - Ive stayed in places in the Italian alps - residentail house rather that ski hut- and a Norwegian house, both in Winter.

Both places were warm. The UK renowned for building houses which are no more than expensive, draughty sheds.

New houses are great for renting. Energy efficient and with small gardens that don't need much work. They may might not last long but that's someone else's problem.

New houses are great for renting. Energy efficient and with small gardens that don't need much work. They may might not last long but that's someone else's problem.

I am renting a new build detached - small place - but you can have the heating on for hours and within 30 or so minutes of turning off the heating the house is cold. It has about two foot of roof insulation and I presume some kind of wall insulation but the energy efficiency is just rubbish.

True. They achieve that by having a wooden frame or cinder blocks to brick skin, with some proper insulation between.

And new builds are very very small.

They do not last though.

+1

I never understand this either. I'm renting a old Victorian Warner flat. Single glazed windows, poorly insulated loft and the costs of my heating bills are miniscule in comparison to my rent!

They had a phone-in on Fivelive this week about energy bills - people whinging about them, about the green tax, etc.

I rang up wanting to say how wonderful rising energy bills were because the BBC is constantly reporting about how how fantastic rising house prices are so rising fuel and food prices must be wonderful too. Tongue would have been firmly in cheek but I wanted to get across a point.

But I didn't get on the air :rolleyes:

You get to decide how much you spend on housing. Sure it's all stupidly over-priced but you decide how much you want to throw away on it each month and that then is fixed

Your theory is massivly flawed, the you chose how much you give the seller, thr bank decides your repayments for a fixed time period, when that period ends you are then at the mercy of the SVR, ive seen peoples mortgage monthly repayments double over night in the last 5 years.....ok if you can get another fix then you can stablise your repayments.

The thing is, no bill be it mortgage, rent, energy etc is not fixed for a long period if at all, if they think they can extract a couple pound more from the masses they will do it.

I for one think that all consumables are of a reasonable cost. There are ways of minimising your exposure to rises.

One of the easiset things to do to combat any increase in bills, is to live within your means. I do and i have money to spare for lots of lifes luxuries, thats what i go to work for, not to sit in the cold in a house eating rice as i have no spare money due to paying over the top for a assett i can barely afford

A large number are rent and mortgage free. I think pensions are linked to the higher of earnings and I guess cpi? But food prices, energy are rising faster than cpi.

I thought the other day if I wasn't working and out of the house for most of the day my energy bills would be very high.

I am renting a new build detached - small place - but you can have the heating on for hours and within 30 or so minutes of turning off the heating the house is cold. It has about two foot of roof insulation and I presume some kind of wall insulation but the energy efficiency is just rubbish.

I suspect the energy efficiency is very high. Your problem is that most modern houses have very low thermal mass. Buy a few IBC's place in the lounge etc and fill with water - that will help :P

I suspect the energy efficiency is very high. Your problem is that most modern houses have very low thermal mass. Buy a few IBC's place in the lounge etc and fill with water - that will help :P

What's an IBC?

A large number are rent and mortgage free. I think pensions are linked to the higher of earnings and I guess cpi? But food prices, energy are rising faster than cpi.

I thought the other day if I wasn't working and out of the house for most of the day my energy bills would be very high.

Those who are rent and mortgage free sometimes forget the opportunity cost.

This is a good point....as long as the energy used to get to work is less than the energy used to say in bed not working.....or the energy used to drive to the supermarket is less than the price paid to get the supermarket to drive to you. ;)

High energy bills are caused low interest rates which is the same scourge that drives up housing costs. Low interest rates and money printing also drive up the price of food, fuel and other essentials. The pound falls on the forex and other countries get to use up our resources instead of us. Investment gets pushed into commodities and away from stocks.

When interest rates rise the currency should stabilize and investment be diverted from commodities into productive industry and the stock market. Why, you might ask, are stocks at a record high then? Well, that's because the Fed, the ECB and the Bank of England went mental and started printing money and chucking it around. Banks borrow printed money for next to nothing and buy stocks with higher returns. Hence the economy is a train wreck and there is no value anywhere for savers and investors.

Ultimately we are heading for a what the nutters who have spent a decade creating the mess will call spectacular 'crash'. People with a brain will recognize it for a necessary correction. After the correction, which will be ugly and painful, prices should be fairly stable, people will be able to save and invest and unemployment will fall. But don't hold your breath, because lunatics still control the economy.

High energy bills are caused low interest rates which is the same scourge that drives up housing costs. Low interest rates and money printing also drive up the price of food, fuel and other essentials. The pound falls on the forex and other countries get to use up our resources instead of us. Investment gets pushed into commodities and away from stocks.

When interest rates rise the currency should stabilize and investment be diverted from commodities into productive industry and the stock market. Why, you might ask, are stocks at a record high then? Well, that's because the Fed, the ECB and the Bank of England went mental and started printing money and chucking it around. Banks borrow printed money for next to nothing and buy stocks with higher returns. Hence the economy is a train wreck and there is no value anywhere for savers and investors.

Ultimately we are heading for a what the nutters who have spent a decade creating the mess will call spectacular 'crash'. People with a brain will recognize it for a necessary correction. After the correction, which will be ugly and painful, prices should be fairly stable, people will be able to save and invest and unemployment will fall. But don't hold your breath, because lunatics still control the economy.

The only answer is STOP SPENDING.....and play them at their own game......the more you spend the more they will print to keep you spending........ ;)

Cavity bead insulation really does work ..... In WaLes you can get it done for "free" , ....although slapped on in taxes I suppose. My annual council tax bill is 3 times my yearly combined energy cost

I had a free check last week , where a camera is run into the cavity to check for suitability It turned out that mine had already been done , you had to look hard to see where the drill holes were , its was a pretty good colour match.

Surprisingly ( to me)external insulation (some sort of skimmed polystyrene block) was being offered on the older houses and then rendered , not a route I would want to go down due to ease of damage.

You don't really realise the value of a garden until you try to live without one , Even if its only small , did it for 4 years in a flat in London , a mistake , thought it was a good idea at first ( zero maintenance) but its not worth it in the end .Sitting on the decking with the sun going down ,cold beer in hand and a steak on the barbie has to be one of life's little pleasures .

Cavity bead insulation really does work ..... In WaLes you can get it done for "free" , ....although slapped on in taxes I suppose. My annual council tax bill is 3 times my yearly combined energy cost

I had a free check last week , where a camera is run into the cavity to check for suitability It turned out that mine had already been done , you had to look hard to see where the drill holes were , its was a pretty good colour match.

Surprisingly ( to me)external insulation (some sort of skimmed polystyrene block) was being offered on the older houses and then rendered , not a route I would want to go down due to ease of damage.

You don't really realise the value of a garden until you try to live without one , Even if its only small , did it for 4 years in a flat in London , a mistake , thought it was a good idea at first ( zero maintenance) but its not worth it in the end .Sitting on the decking with the sun going down ,cold beer in hand and a steak on the barbie has to be one of life's little pleasures .

This is true....a piece of land is worth more than any extension of bricks.....and a piece of land that is not your own that you can look at, enjoy and are free to walk over, use and make use of has to be the best..... ;)

Oh, I want a garden. South facing. But a small one. Just enough to sit out of a summer's evening.

Oh, I want a garden. South facing. But a small one. Just enough to sit out of a summer's evening.

South facing shed.....peace, nature, sun, plants, birds and relaxation. ;)