HOLA441

Y chromosome: Why men contribute so little

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24991843

accompanied by this pic:

_71265155_m2300303-obesity-spl.jpg

top-rated comments:

11. paulmerhaba

8 Hours ago

What does a picture of an overweight man with a remote control have to do with this article?

+183

Comment number 51. Eat the Path

7 Hours ago

Would it be acceptable to publish an article with the title "Why women contribute so little" above a picture of a topless, overweight woman?

Good job ruining an interesting science piece.

+164

Comment number 16. Tony Hannibal

7 Hours ago

Y (pun intended) are the BBC showing a picture that depicts men as being lazy and un-needed in an article that is bound to make a lot of men feel inadequate, at a time when we already feel like we're surplus to requirement? This is sexual discrimination.

+154

Comment number 21. Mouldy

7 Hours ago

I'm sorry - what does this photo have to do with the research? It seems to me the BBC is implying "men contribute so little" to society! If this was regarding female genetic health, this would never have been published.

How insulting. I wonder what people with defective Y chromosomes think of the implication that they are somehow less of a man. Buck your ideas up BBC!

+119

Comment number 20. Biggest aspidistra

7 Hours ago

Pleased explain the article photo. It bears no relationship with the article.

+113

Comment number 49. King George MCMLXXXIX

7 Hours ago

I look forward to the story of the female chromosome accompanied by a picture of a scantily clad woman busy with her cooking and cleaning

+99

Comment number 63. Magpieme

7 Hours ago

Wonderful. This should be a positive report about research that might allow men with chromosomal damage to have children when they otherwise couldn't. Instead it has been deliberately twisted into a sensationalist story about "getting rid of men" that badly misrepresents the actual research.

Well done, BBC. You've reached Daily Mail standards of reporting.

+95

Comment number 19. Peter_Sym

7 Hours ago

Come on... I know science both bores and confuses the BBC but the headline really has very little to do with the actual story.

+76

Comment number 40. Malakim

7 Hours ago

Story here is that the team in Hawaii has made great advances in helping men infertile men with a damaged Y chromosome have families.

It's sad and confusing that the BBC have chosen an image and headline that obscure the science in this story in favour of something the researchers themselves refer to as Science Fiction.

+68

Comment number 26. The J Hoovers Witnesses

7 Hours ago

20.Biggest aspidistra

"Pleased explain the article photo. It bears no relationship with the article"

==

I think for anyone who doesn't know, that's what a man is, according to the BBC.

Women, on the other hand, are all Hedy Lamarr: intelligent and beautiful.

+58

Comment number 32. MJS

7 Hours ago

Is there any need for the photo and the emotive headline? The article is very interesting but it has obviously been given to someone to finish it off with a catchy headline and incising photo and it has just ruined it.

Come on you do not need to try and emulate the Daily Star! Come on Mr Gallagher don't allow your articles to be gutterised in such a way!

+42

Comment number 2. CaptEngland

8 Hours ago

Can the BBC please explain why there's a picture of a picture of a naked chubby man with an tv remote on the page? If it was a woman in a bikini, The left wing anti-men brigade would be up in arms!

Sexist BBC as always!

+42

Comment number 112. MrsPibbs

7 Hours ago

Just to reiterate the comments of others, what on earth does the headline and picture have to do with this story? This is awful journalism and completely misrepresents the research it is supposed to be reporting. Please do better.

+33

Comment number 234. MTutv

6 Hours ago

A shocking headline with an equally disturbing photograph. I presume the BBC will be using a similar headline and topless picture of a fat lazy woman in an article about the biology of women next week - nope - thought not!

I have made a formal complaint via this link:

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?reset=#anchor

I urge everyone else to do the same.

+30

Comment number 99. Antony

7 Hours ago

"X chromosome: Why women contribute so little"

I'm trying to find this headline in the BBC archive, oh that's right I can't because it's sexist.

BBC, as a man, I find your double standards deeply offensive and respectfully request you remove the headline.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Attributed to "Health and science reporter, BBC News".

For years now whenever I read an article I pay attention to who has written it first, because their gender and background will definitely indicate the bias in their writing.

And I suspect in this case it's written by some 20yr old feminist rich girl (probably named Francesca or Clementine etc) who has zero experience of the real world or respect for anyone who lives in it. But her feminist lecturer in Uni often joked about men being horrid, so she's running with the theme.

Later on today she'll re-watch Pride and Prejudice for those scenes of Mr Darcy...... :rolleyes:

HOLA445
HOLA446

Nearly all male mammals have Y chromosomes not just humans

The Y chromosome is one of two sex-determining chromosomes (allosomes) in mammals, including humans (the other is the X chromosome). In mammals, the Y chromosome contains the gene SRY, which triggers testicle development if present. The human Y chromosome is composed of about 50 million base pairs. DNA in the Y chromosome is passed from father to son, and Y-DNA analysis may thus be used in genealogical research. With a 30% difference between humans and chimpanzees, the Y chromosome is one of the fastest evolving parts of the human genome.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_chromosome

The Y chromosome in human may degenerate but the evidence from other species is that when that happens new sex determination systems simply evolve to replace them. That might mean the end of current males but it will also mean changes to current female sex determination as well

BTW worth adding that all men carry both X and Y chromosomes

HOLA447

Y chromosome: Why men contribute so little

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24991843

accompanied by this pic:

It's a "stock picture", which is why,when there is an "article" about obesity, we get shown the same three fat kids, time and time again!

Because the internet is now graphical, there has to be a picture! It doesn't matter what the picture is! :lol::blink:

HOLA448

Ha ha, BBC busted!

They do not "educate", scarcely "inform", and only rarely "entertain"! :angry:

All for the £145 annual subscription!

HOLA449

I think it's really unfair to characterise all men as being couch potatoes:

hva3y0.jpg

That photo is great :)

Do I detect a certain "touchiness" about the male's place..

After all, the guy in the BBC pic might be a bit overweight and with his physique and looks might do better to put a T-Shirt on (possibly a balaclava, too). But then he probably paid at least half the cost of the TV that's he's watching.

I suspect we don't have too many females on here to put the counter-argument..

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Attributed to "Health and science reporter, BBC News".

For years now whenever I read an article I pay attention to who has written it first, because their gender and background will definitely indicate the bias in their writing.

And I suspect in this case it's written by some 20yr old feminist rich girl (probably named Francesca or Clementine etc) who has zero experience of the real world or respect for anyone who lives in it. But her feminist lecturer in Uni often joked about men being horrid, so she's running with the theme.

Later on today she'll re-watch Pride and Prejudice for those scenes of Mr Darcy...... :rolleyes:

There is an advert on TV for wowcher ( a dying company surely), the wife was watching it, turned to me and said 'yes I get it now, they would never get away with this if the women were men and the men women, I ve noticed loads of it on TV recently'.

'Its called misandry' was my reply

'Yes' said the wife, 'but the thing is in ten years time these women will be rapidly losing their looks and crying over their chardonneys wondering why they cant get a man'

HOLA4416
Guest TheBlueCat

They do not "educate", scarcely "inform", and only rarely "entertain"! :angry:

All for the £145 annual subscription!

I think that £145 annual extortion would be a more accurate description. Subscription makes it sound optional.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest TheBlueCat

it is optional, nobody is forcing you to have a TV

That's a ******** argument. You're conflating two orthogonal concepts for your own political reasons.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

There is an advert on TV for wowcher ( a dying company surely), the wife was watching it, turned to me and said 'yes I get it now, they would never get away with this if the women were men and the men women, I ve noticed loads of it on TV recently'.

'Its called misandry' was my reply

'Yes' said the wife, 'but the thing is in ten years time these women will be rapidly losing their looks and crying over their chardonneys wondering why they cant get a man'

One of the great things about being a man is that we get increasingly attractive to the opposite sex as we age. But the opposite is true for women.

Really do not care about the sexism that is all around us, vast majority of the women who are worth spending time with are intelligent enough to see straight past it. And those who can't aren't worth it, or respond easily to some machismo / money.

How's that for a portrait of half the population?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I can't see anything funny about the possible extinction of men. I, for one, can think of one good use for them. ;)

Putting up shelves! And Gardening? :blink:

Archived