We All Sing Bob Dylan Songs Without Realising

honkydonkey

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

Not sure what the point was. Couldn't flip channels.

Anyway, Dylan's popularity is a mystery to me. Like the Rolling Stones. A few good songs, badly sung.

I think you either get Dylan or you don't, much like Marmite I guess.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Anyway, Dylan's popularity is a mystery to me. Like the Rolling Stones. A few good songs, badly sung.

I also cant flip channels and also dont get the point.

Some of Dylan's stuff is OK but I never got the whole ZOMG Bob Dylan!!!11!!!!ONE! thing. He is a slightly quirky folk singer. Big deal.

The Rolling Stones on the other hand are a seriously good rock and roll band. Which reminds me, I need to buy a stones album to go with the George Thorogood album I just bought. George Thorogood is my role model. "I drink alone, with nobody else". Man. That just speaks to me!..... :unsure:

HOLA449
Guest TheBlueCat

Yeah, I've heard that before. But I think music is complex and has lots of influences, so the celeb/genius thing seems blah (some exceptions for classical).

The thing I like about Dylan personally is how much of his stuff is so quote-able - you can find a line for pretty much any occasion if you know his songs well. I also find a lot of his tunes seriously catchy. Whether that makes him in any sense great we'll only find out long after I'm dead and buried though!

HOLA4410
Guest TheBlueCat

The Rolling Stones on the other hand are a seriously good rock and roll band. Which reminds me, I need to buy a stones album to go with the George Thorogood album I just bought. George Thorogood is my role model. "I drink alone, with nobody else". Man. That just speaks to me!..... :unsure:

As a counter, the Stones and the Beatles don't really do anything for me - I can see logically that they're good in all sorts of ways, their stuff just doesn't grab me. George Thorogood is great though. B-b-b-b-bad to the bone!

HOLA4411

If you can't change channel then there's not much point. I can and I think it's my favourite music video ever, and I don't even like Dylan*

* The sound of his voice; he's written some good songs but they're only good as cover versions.

HOLA4412

Some of Dylan's stuff is OK but I never got the whole ZOMG Bob Dylan!!!11!!!!ONE! thing. He is a slightly quirky folk singer. Big deal.

You can have a few drinks with me Mr Stug! I am never sure whether I am alone or not, after a few! :blink:

HOLA4413

He's of his time. Ghastly voice, ghastly man, but came to embody the Zeitgeist of a generation. Like the equally-ghastly Sinatra from a generation up.

I once heard Simon and Garfunkel described as a musical version of Bob Dylan. Seems fair to me.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

He's of his time. Ghastly voice, ghastly man, but came to embody the Zeitgeist of a generation. Like the equally-ghastly Sinatra from a generation up.

Like many things, you need to understand the context.

Many of the current generation dismiss the Beatles and on a musical level that could be understandable, but if you consider the context and where they came from the reputation is well deserved even if their music is not for you.

HOLA4417

Good tune but yeah overrated as hell.

The Beatles did a lot of albums and also did a lot of tripe but when they wrote multiple songs that are amazing.

Those early songs of The Beatles are special especially I want to hold your hand - crazy chords and melodies.

Jimi Hendrix is another one that is overrated as hell. A giant in the history of electric guitar but not a musical genius. Put together a couple of good songs, made the guitar sound more like a musicians instrument with the fat bluesy chords done with thumb and fingers and showed how far you could put an amplified guitar.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

This actually just reminded me of a youtube video I made but never uploaded out of fear of going to hell and spending eternity with the catholic clergy

- It was a video of the Fukushima tsunami aftermath to the tune of "like a rolling stone" :ph34r:

In the words of Descartes - Just do it.

Edit: Sorry, it was Nike

HOLA4420

Ooo another George Thorogood fan!! Good man. :) My first album was Move it on Over from 78 or 79 I think. He's still touring.

Agree with others. If you don't 'get' Dylan you'll never like him. If you like him you'll probably love him. I was 5 years too young first time around, so came to him later. Same with Leonard Cohen. I don't know why people are jealous of boomers property, quite honestly it's their music they ought to lust after.

HOLA4421

Fantastic, really clever;.

And I do love Bob Dylan, I guess you would have to be there to understand it.

Not necessarily - I wasn't, but my parents were, so maybe by proxy...?

I never used to 'get' Dylan, and openly mocked people who did, taking the piss out of his nasal droning voice..... But then something weird happened, I actually took the time to listen to his stuff without being a smug judgemental pr1ck, and lo and behold, I was smitten ;)

HOLA4422

Good tune but yeah overrated as hell.

The Beatles did a lot of albums and also did a lot of tripe but when they wrote multiple songs that are amazing.

Those early songs of The Beatles are special especially I want to hold your hand - crazy chords and melodies.

Jimi Hendrix is another one that is overrated as hell. A giant in the history of electric guitar but not a musical genius. Put together a couple of good songs, made the guitar sound more like a musicians instrument with the fat bluesy chords done with thumb and fingers and showed how far you could put an amplified guitar.

Wash your mouth out!

Did you ever hear his blues album? Several old-time bluesmen commented that he was up there with the world's best blues players...

Bringing it back on-topic, his versions of All Along the Watchtower and Like a Rolling Stone are stone cold classics.

Archived