House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

The Price Of Being Single

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/nov/22/price-of-being-single

If you listen to politicians and certain parts of the media, you'd think only "hardworking families" were affected by the rising cost of living, hikes in energy bills and extortionate housing costs. If you dare to live alone you don't get a mention.

But, contrary to popular belief, being romantically unattached and child free isn't cheap. Arguably, single people contribute more to society than everyone else, but get less back in terms of tax credits, child benefit and tax breaks.

Worse still, single people are penalised in numerous ways, some more obvious than others. Of course it costs more to live alone rather than splitting the cost of a mortgage or rent and bills with a partner. But singles also pay more than couples for everything from flights to insurance.

If your single you qualify for a 25% reduction in council tax.... What more do they want?

as a singleton it always gets my goat - would prefer the use of the term 'household' which can be any number of bodies from 1 to infinity.

but no - familes are always the only unit, hard-pressed, hard working, in crisis etc. :angry:

true for now there is the 25% council tax discount :)

I reckon tptb dont like single people...a couple can pay more for a mortgage secured shoe box.

In any decent country them women folk would be able to afford to be at home to nurture their own children rather than paying jmost of a wage for someone else to do it....that would require houses to be approximately half the cost.

Sadly this is not a recent country.

as a singleton it always gets my goat - would prefer the use of the term 'household' which can be any number of bodies from 1 to infinity.

but no - familes are always the only unit, hard-pressed, hard working, in crisis etc. :angry:

true for now there is the 25% council tax discount :)

There is that 25% council tax discount, but (I'm sure you know this) if you were sharing the bills equally with someone else you'd pay 50% of the full amount, instead of 75% of the full amount - so you're already screwed.

Rent, Mortgage, insurance, internet, electricity, gas, water, phone bills would all be shared. Some could be higher yet shared and so work out cheaper, such as the food bill with economies of scale.

I calculate my SPP (Single Person Premium) as the extra costs I have to pay vs estimated bills if I was sharing. Last year it was 124%, ie I have to pay a premium of more than 100% of the costs in a sharing household.

I reckon tptb dont like single people...a couple can pay more for a mortgage secured shoe box.

In any decent country them women folk would be able to afford to be at home to nurture their own children rather than paying jmost of a wage for someone else to do it....that would require houses to be approximately half the cost.

Sadly this is not a recent country.

Being single is expensive! I would reckon a 50% reduction in council tax would be reasonable for not having a partner! Still, that won't happen! I reckon the extra 25% is worth it for peace! ;)

Being single is expensive! I would reckon a 50% reduction in council tax would be reasonable for not having a partner! Still, that won't happen! I reckon the extra 25% is worth it for peace! ;)

Well said, MrPin. 50% discount off council tax it should be.

Obviously a single person can only be up to half as much as a couple can do and doesn't need so much council surveillance! And my bin is never that full! ;)

Doesn't this go against the ethos of house price crash........I thought we were in favour of taxing the resourse as opposed to the people. 75% looks about fair, thereby also taxing the occupation of a valuable resource.

Considering that the reason given for the 25% reduction is that the full bill is based on two people sharing, 50% is exactly what it should be.

Doesn't this go against the ethos of house price crash........I thought we were in favour of taxing the resourse as opposed to the people. 75% looks about fair, thereby also taxing the occupation of a valuable resource.

Agree with this. If you're single you don't need somewhere as big so you get somewhere smaller with a lower tax bill and get the 25% discount then you probably are paying the same as being one half of a couple.

It goes without saying that you only "save money" if the other person works, one person paying for another is at a massive financial disadvantage, something my ex never seem do convinced by...

Not saying I have any quibble about it! It's just the rules! :blink:

Agree with this. If you're single you don't need somewhere as big so you get somewhere smaller with a lower tax bill and get the 25% discount then you probably are paying the same as being one half of a couple.

Yes I have a little semi, Frank! :o:blink:

Is it more expensive? How many men are cajoled into taking on enormous debt for the 'dream house' she thinks she deserves and yet contributes very little towards? All those late nights and sucking up to the boss in that tedious office job the man hates to keep her indoors golden... that's one hell of a price to pay.

It goes without saying that you only "save money" if the other person works, one person paying for another is at a massive financial disadvantage, something my ex never seem do convinced by...

This is so true - I've never been both richer and poorer since I got married (and the missus became unemployed).

So poorer wealthwise, but it is handy have someone else to tackle life's slings and arrows.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Is it more expensive? How many men are cajoled into taking on enormous debt for the 'dream house' she thinks she deserves and yet contributes very little towards? All those late nights and sucking up to the boss in that tedious office job the man hates to keep her indoors golden... that's one hell of a price to pay.

That's bang on the money! I see it all the time, I don't know why they even try the system is stacked against them every way they turn.

Its really very simple, a woman can sue for divorce, force you to leave the house, make you pay the mortgage while she stays there until such time as its finalised at which point she walks away with (at least) half of it. Given that why would any woman not pile the pressure on for her "DH" to buy ?. Even they dont actually end up doing it, the very fact that they can puts them firmly in the driving seat of the relationship.

Edited by goldbug9999

+1