House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Paypal Phishing Scam Epidemic

Had a terrible experience with Paypal over the last month.

Someone, somehow accessd my Paypal account and changed the address to somewhere in London - then ordered around £400 of stuff. I was just going to bed when I had the order confirmation email come through on my phone so I logged into the account, saw what had happened and tried to stop the payment.

.....Could not do this whilst the transaction was in process. WTF?

So I tried to take my bank/card details off the paypal account to stop any other orders being made

....Could not do this as a transaction was in process. ERRR? I thought this was a secure way of making payments

So I tried to contact them.

.......Could not do this as it was out of hours. I didn't sleep well that night.

I called them the next morning to report the fraud and stop the payment - which they said they would do. That evening, i looked at my paypal account again and it looked like nothing had been done - there were no markers on the screen to say the transaction was being disputed/investigated so I called them again to check - I was told again not to worry they can see it on their screen and that the payment would be stopped.

I carried on checking and calling over the next 2 days as the transaction was still showing in process - was promised the payment would not be taken from my account and it was all being sorted. The next day the funds were taken from my account.

GRRRRRR - fuming at this point so i called again and was promised they would refund the payment to me in 3 days.

6 days later, no payment.

So I called them again - lots of apologies, "the payment will be paid back to your card tommorow"

3 more days, no money, another call.

"Very sorry sir, the payment will be on your card tomorrow"

It then appeared back in my paypal account 3 further days later.

To have no control over stopping a payment you know you haven't made is frustrating in the first place, then add in their failure to stop the payment when I reported it within 8 hours and then a complete failure to refund it to me quickly leaves me no other impression of Paypal other than they are a ******ing shambles of a company.

Alarm bells should be ringing as soon as it starts with 'Dear Paypal User'.

You'd think so but I know one reasonably bright bloke who got one of those virus alert scams pop up, so he downloads it and puts in his credit card details to pay for it. I tried to explain about viruses but he thought that the only problem was giving his card details, if he'd just downloaded the programme it would have been ok. Who knows what scams your neighbours are falling for left right and centre.

It may be obvious to us but really hammering home these stories needs to keep happening. Not everybody has been on the net since the 90s and seen it all before. I actually know (or rather knew) somebody who jacked in his job believing he'd won the lottery. They wouldn't take him back when he found out it was a scam. But he had told the MD to stick his job.

Had a terrible experience with Paypal over the last month.

.......Could not do this as it was out of hours. I didn't sleep well that night.

6 days later, no payment.

So I called them again - lots of apologies, "the payment will be paid back to your card tommorow"

3 more days, no money, another call.

"Very sorry sir, the payment will be on your card tomorrow"

It then appeared back in my paypal account 3 further days later.

To have no control over stopping a payment you know you haven't made is frustrating in the first place, then add in their failure to stop the payment when I reported it within 8 hours and then a complete failure to refund it to me quickly leaves me no other impression of Paypal other than they are a ******ing shambles of a company.

I will never hold another paypal account in my lifetime. They take control of your bank account via the debit or credit card Number you give them and their systems to stop fraud are a complete nightmare for the honest user if ever you get caught up in a fraud. You just try stopping any payments to them by taking your credit/debit card off their system....it isnt gonna happen until or if they say so.

I will never hold another paypal account in my lifetime. They take control of your bank account via the debit or credit card Number you give them and their systems to stop fraud are a complete nightmare for the honest user if ever you get caught up in a fraud. You just try stopping any payments to them by taking your credit/debit card off their system....it isnt gonna happen until or if they say so.

What are the alternatives to Paypal?

I've read enough bad things about them to not have one of their accounts but I'd like a secure payment system, the lack of one means I don't buy over the internet.

Where had the stuff been ordered from? Could you not get in touch with them?

Argos!

If you're going to defraud me, at least do it in style.

You should ring up your real bank, with the number on the back of your card, and tell them such things are happening! :huh: Cancel your direct debit with PayPal.

What are the alternatives to Paypal?

I've read enough bad things about them to not have one of their accounts but I'd like a secure payment system, the lack of one means I don't buy over the internet.

Use a credit card. There is some protection when buying online. Nothing is infallible but from my experience Paypal is a law unto itself and does not have to adhere to the same sorts of rules/safeguards that Visa do.

You should ring up your real bank, with the number on the back of your card, and tell them such things are happening! :huh: Cancel your direct debit with PayPal.

That maybe fine as long as you do not have your account in credit with Paypal at the time. (if you sell stuff for instance)If you do then Paypal can and often do just freeze your funds until or if they deem it is time to unfreeze your lucre...they can just take it. End of story.. trying to get it back if they think you are involved in the fraud even though they cannot prove that, can be very problematic indeed. Your word against theirs.

Use a credit card. There is some protection when buying online. Nothing is infallible but from my experience Paypal is a law unto itself and does not have to adhere to the same sorts of rules/safeguards that Visa do.

Thnak you. I know a lot about the internet but have no idea about ebay, amazon etc. as I have always seen it as fundamentally insecure. Credit card it is.

The one big competition for PayPal was Google Checkout

Ebay who own PayPal banned Google checkout in 2010 (along with all the other competition) they now support nothing but PayPal.

Google Checkout is being retired this week.

What many people do is use PayPal but never connect it to a bank account, even if you "disconnect" it, they will retain the bank details and reconnect it should they ever feel like helping themselves to an automatic withdrawal.

This is why you will often see people buy things on a credit card and immediately sell them again (using a different Ebay Account of course) just so that a third party is adding the funds to their PayPal account. For items that sell quickly you can even get the first seller to deliver directly to your buyer saving the extra postage.

A far simpler method is to fund it with your credit card about a month before the card expires and then don't use paypal for that month.

I have a debit card bank account with no overdraft facility for paypal and online buying. I then only funnel in money to roughly what I am spending.

This is much more workable post faster payments.

I have a debit card bank account with no overdraft facility for paypal and online buying. I then only funnel in money to roughly what I am spending.

This is much more workable post faster payments.

Paypal don't care what the limits on your account/card are, if they think you owe them or a customer money, they will withdraw it anyway, you will be the one stuck with the unauthorised overdraft fees.

The number of people who get hit by these "small print issues" are a tiny tiny minority, but the ones who are, are always shocked by how much power they unknowingly signed over to paypal.

I've had a couple dozen of these emails. Albeit they're all apparently from Paypal.de (spoofed) and in German, which is a big clue.

I did however order a rare vinyl record from Belgium and paid using PayPal so on the first one I did glance at it wondering if it might be genuine before deleting it.

In such instances you put your card details in to make the transaction and you then get "invited" to create a PayPal account so you can store your card details and reuse it later on. Thanks to some less than positive experiences with PayPal before I click "No" and retype card details in the future if I have to use it.

If there is more than one payment option I will tend to pick the one that isn't PayPal.

Paypal don't care what the limits on your account/card are, if they think you owe them or a customer money, they will withdraw it anyway, you will be the one stuck with the unauthorised overdraft fees.

The number of people who get hit by these "small print issues" are a tiny tiny minority, but the ones who are, are always shocked by how much power they unknowingly signed over to paypal.

No but, it must absolutely be the right account usually designed for customers with a poor credit history that just will not debit if the credit balance is not there. If it's a debit card it will just decline, if it's a direct debit it will bounce and you will still get charged whatever the bank's fee for that is though - something which I think is scandalous and the government ought to resolve as if, as they appear to be, are pushing away from cash towards bank account only based transactions it should be the case that more vulnerable, or anyone for that matter, can conduct their financial affairs without accruing any debt or charges.

No but, it must absolutely be the right account usually designed for customers with a poor credit history that just will not debit if the credit balance is not there. If it's a debit card it will just decline, if it's a direct debit it will bounce and you will still get charged whatever the bank's fee for that is though - something which I think is scandalous and the government ought to resolve as if, as they appear to be, are pushing away from cash towards bank account only based transactions it should be the case that more vulnerable, or anyone for that matter, can conduct their financial affairs without accruing any debt or charges.

That's precisely why I don't use or allow Direct Debits on any of my accounts having been stung by this in the past through no fault of my own (loan payment debited twice leading to a string of failed payments and charges).

If a company insists on Direct Debit payment then they don't get my business.

I have a prepaid debit card thing that I use for companies who insist on "pulling" payments rather than me "pushing" them. If they try to debit too early or too much they get nothing (because I won't have transferred the cash yet) and I get charged nothing.

they can withdraw it, but go to court and the "think they are owed it" is no case. you either owe it or you dont. consequential loss is another matter, but that would come under the damages you applied for to rectify your position.

isn't it possible to tell the credit card company paypal is taking fraudulent payments and put a block on it?