House Price Crash Forum
Mrs Bear

Tax Perks For Landlords!

Quote from the dreaded Anne Ashworth's usual piece in the Times property section today:

'The Chartered Institute of Housing is recommending that the Chancellor should use his Autumn Statement to improve tax concessions for landlords who commit to higher standards. Landlords who fail to do so would have their tax perks reduced. This is a controversial suggestion, but at least it starts a debate on the crisis in the rental business.'

Crisis? I wonder whether she and/or cronies have been hit by the HB cap in London.

Quote from the dreaded Anne Ashworth's usual piece in the Times property section today:

'The Chartered Institute of Housing is recommending that the Chancellor should use his Autumn Statement to improve tax concessions for landlords who commit to higher standards. Landlords who fail to do so would have their tax perks reduced. This is a controversial suggestion, but at least it starts a debate on the crisis in the rental business.'

Crisis? I wonder whether she and/or cronies have been hit by the HB cap in London.

Tentatively not-appalled. That said, I'd like a bit more stick and less carrot.

As always the solution to a problem caused by Government leads to more Government, an army of highly qualified new home inspectors, tax calculations based on the quality of the bed, the sheets and the brand of paint used on the woodwork.

No concessions required, just a LEGAL DUTY to provide what is being paid for with CRIMINAL PENALTIES for those that dont...handcuffs would be enough to incentivise yer errant landlord.

As always the solution to a problem caused by Government leads to more Government, an army of highly qualified new home inspectors, tax calculations based on the quality of the bed, the sheets and the brand of paint used on the woodwork.

No concessions required, just a LEGAL DUTY to provide what is being paid for with CRIMINAL PENALTIES for those that dont...handcuffs would be enough to incentivise yer errant landlord.

Yeah, thinking about it, it's a terrible idea. Another fraud in waiting. "Yeah, I spent 10,000 on a new kitchen - here's the receipt." Meanwhile, tenant continues to live in squalor, while LL makes himself a nice latte in his new subsidised kitchen. Or, as you say, an army of inspectors...

Yeah, thinking about it, it's a terrible idea. Another fraud in waiting. "Yeah, I spent 10,000 on a new kitchen - here's the receipt." Meanwhile, tenant continues to live in squalor, while LL makes himself a nice latte in his new subsidised kitchen. Or, as you say, an army of inspectors...

My first thought (well almost, first was as you can imagine) was how on earth would it be policed? Whole armies of inspectors would be needed, and as usual the unscrupulous/downright dodgy would always find a way around it.

Great, so now they are going to bribe landlords to obey the law.

"If you ensure your tenants don't die from carbon monoxide poisoning we will give you a tax break of £4098504."

"if you don't we will only give you a tax break of £445499"

Is that to stop the old fellow shrivelling up now that the cold winter nights are closing in ?

And what on earth is wrong with a good, old -fashioned hand-knitted willy-warmer?

As we all know if found out all they have to do is apologise and pay the money back. It works for MPs.

Edited by interestrateripoff

NO NO NO. We need to change the arena for private LL altogether. It is true that in times prior to the 1988 LL & T Act there were fewer BTL and the security for a T was so great it was impossible to finance it. There was rent control and rent inspectors. As a result, most people who could not afford to buy used council property. Now it has moved too far in the other direction - time to get it right. We have failed to provide anything like enough new social housing units. We have allowed massive speculation of land prices - it's all about the finance and mortgage market. The recipe is a housing crisis and no one can aford them -the govts response? Lend them more - where the market won't, the govt will take the risk for 4-5 x income mortgages! They are mad. People were touching on it in Question Time last night. Only the audience pointed out prices were TOO HIGH - none of the politicians dared to agree with that part....We all know why.