House Price Crash Forum

Question Time Boomers V Gen X/y

R K

HOLA441

Audience is under 30s and over 60s from Salford

Talking housing prices, jobs and banking

and no thread on HPC.

You're a disgrace. Give your heads a wobble.

(Obviously it's the usual utter drivel, pathetic panellists (Hunt and Khan) churning out the same old tired cliches but that's beside the point...........)

Edited by R K

HOLA442

and no thread on HPC.

(Obviously it's the usual utter drivel, pathetic panellists (Hunt and Khan) churning out the same old tired cliches but that's beside the point...........)

We were watching 'An adventure in Space and Time' on BBC2?

Don't do QT, I rather like my present TV set.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA443
HOLA444

I am watching it. Housing was discussed sort of. The problem we have here is that we have thought about this problem far more than other folk, to an unhealthy degree some might say, so any barely thought through statement by the likes of a QT audience is at level 1 whereas we exist at level 500. So it sounds rather wet and basic and cliched and misses all the major most pertinent points.

A suggestion that prices are too high was conspicuous by its absence.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Yes, it was perhaps a little low brow but a couple of the gen x / y ers at least came up with some reasonable points.

1. A girl who said she had no intention of getting involved because it will come crashing back down again. No guarantee for jobs and the people who are piling in will later on be f*cked from the debt they have taken on.

2. A bloke who said that HTB was basically allowing people to buy who should not be able to buy. This is because they ultimately cannot afford to buy and HTB is allowing them to enter a market they should be out of, which is sh1t.

So not all bad. Although moron Hunt trotted out the "getting the market back to 2008" level cliche. . .etc. . . .why do these people not understand that 2008 was NOT the norm. It was a result of MBS, CDO and other nonsense - it was in a huge BUBBLE then.

Edited by bubbleturbo

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

We were watching 'An adventure in Space and Time' on BBC2?

Don't do QT, I rather like my present TV set.

I caught QT by a quirk of fate following the excellent Dr Who prog. I stuck with it 'cause of its location and subject matter.

Agree with the other comments on the audience questions/points, but they deserve(d) much better responses from Hunt/Khan.

In fact, if I were a BBC producer/ program commissioner the first thing I'd do would be to sack Dimbleby. The second thing would be to never have a politician on the program again. They all spout their prepared party line. They're all pathetic and ruin what could be a reasonable debate. The panel needs to be packed with reactionaries, free thinkers and non-VIs. They couldn't talk more shite than Dimbleby and the Torylabourdems.

Edited by R K

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

and no thread on HPC.

Listened to what the woman panellist was saying and switched off half way through her ramblings. Who the hell are these people, they haven't got a clue?

It annoyed me that when Hunt was speaking, the camera was on the Labour guy shaking his head, so it tended to negate what Hunt was saying. I think this is a ploy by the BBC to minimise the effect of the Tory comment.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Listened to what the woman panellist was saying and switched off half way through her ramblings. Who the hell are these people, they haven't got a clue?

It annoyed me that when Hunt was speaking, the camera was on the Labour guy shaking his head, so it tended to negate what Hunt was saying. I think this is a ploy by the BBC to minimise the effect of the Tory comment.

They do that all the time, and if you are quick you can see the frantic hand signals to Dimbers to shut someone down or for him to intervene with a totally ridiculous point (usually when someone is about to say something interesting).

HOLA4417

I listened to it on 5live. The show started with some note that some panelists had not shown up and got lost on their way to Manchester. Odd. Clearly the show is dying hence the 5live simultaneous thing. Steven Nolan and Pinear brought in to add weight but as posters say around here 'you can't polish a turd'

HOLA4418

I listened to it on 5live. The show started with some note that some panelists had not shown up and got lost on their way to Manchester. Odd. Clearly the show is dying hence the 5live simultaneous thing. Steven Nolan and Pinear brought in to add weight but as posters say around here 'you can't polish a turd'

yeah train fire apparently

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-25042831

"British Transport Police were called to the scene at around 4pm along with crews from Chadderton, Heywood and Littleborough."

I think they could do well to not have any politicians - have new ideas expressed that dno't need to toe any party lines, and maybe get some new ideas out in to the world for people to think about.

HOLA4419

I caught QT by a quirk of fate following the excellent Dr Who prog. I stuck with it 'cause of its location and subject matter.

Agree with the other comments on the audience questions/points, but they deserve(d) much better responses from Hunt/Khan.

In fact, if I were a BBC producer/ program commissioner the first thing I'd do would be to sack Dimbleby. The second thing would be to never have a politician on the program again. They all spout their prepared party line. They're all pathetic and ruin what could be a reasonable debate. The panel needs to be packed with reactionaries, free thinkers and non-VIs. They couldn't talk more shite than Dimbleby and the Torylabourdems.

If a Channel 4 / 5 / Sky producer / program commissioner had any sense they would nick the format, but do as you say.

Perhaps have a follow up program at the weekend investigating the points raised? Bit of fact-checking and analysis.

HOLA4420

They do that all the time, and if you are quick you can see the frantic hand signals to Dimbers to shut someone down or for him to intervene with a totally ridiculous point (usually when someone is about to say something interesting).

+1 Dimbleby often moves straight on when an audience member asks an interesting question or makes an interesting comment, but asks further questions and labours over the more pedestrian questions/points.

The main prob with QT is Dimbleby

HOLA4421

Of course, there was some old pr1ck who came out with the moronic boomer argument:

"when I got on the ladder it was tough, now the young have low interest rates, in my day they were 15%, etc."

That thinking is as relevant today as it was then The Gen X/Y idiots piling into H2B housing are only looking at what it costs them in terms of mortgage payments not the relationship between house price and interest payments. And don't give me that b00110x about people in the 1970's buying houses because they knew that inflation would erode the debt because you can bet that the 20 and 30 something tw@ts using H2B are doing so because they think their £200k Barrat shoebox will be worth a million in ten years time. QT in 2030 will be featuring GenZ vs Gen X/Y with some GenX/Y tw@t defending why they pushed up house prices for the next generation of young people because it 'was cheaper to buy than to rent'.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

+1

Just another smug comfortable old fart who is doing just fine out of the current system so sees no reason to take criticism of it seriously. Not exactly the ideal profile for a "journalist" in a "democracy".

And so typical of the older generation. Millions in the bank, houses in several countries and a yacht.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425