House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Google Street View Is Stopping Us From Selling Our House

OK its the daily mail so lets try and rationalise this

Their home wasnt captured in aftermath of wall collapse, a picture of a broken wall was.

It isnt putting off buyers, I think the price and time of year will do that, its only been on the market for 5 weeks.

All they have to do is add a picture of the rebuilt wall to their Rightmove profile and the problem is solved (admittedly this is probably way beyond the IT skills of most estate agents but thats another story)

However the sellers have managed to get a load of free advertising courtesy of the Mail (and now HPC, though I doubt that will help them much)

Another non-story from Britains most unreliable newspaper

'Google Street View is stopping us from selling our house': Couple's dismay that their home was captured in aftermath of wall collapse

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2510643/Google-Street-View-stopping-selling-house.html#ixzz2lI4T39wK

One of the comments says its all

"Compare the old photo with new .... the state of wall and the driveway in the old photo clearly shows that the property had been run down and now they have renovated and it up in the market and are looking for free publicity ...and overpriced!!!!

There are some scenarios where this type of property fair badly.

If we end up in a stagnation phase - where coalition keep throwing fuel on just to keep prices at current levels - and boomers increasingly want to downsize/release equity.

The 100K 'bungalow with a view' premium might disappear as workers won't want to pay it.

Google Maps also caught an ongoing saga in early 2012 involving a brother-in-law's neighbour. She uprooted a large shrub (more like a small tree) and simply plonked the whole thing in her "yard bin" (in California, a wheelie bin into which garden waste is placed, separate from the normal household waste bin). They are collected by an automated truck which grabs the handle on the back and empties it into a hopper, a mechanism which only works if the lid is closed. If stuff is sticking out of the top, it won't work. After the first week in which "Jacinta's bush" (as the artefact came to be nicknamed - sounds like the magnum opus of an African-American feminist novelist, doesn't it?), neigbours politely explained the score to her, and suggested that she saw it up into smaller bits, possibly having it collected over two collections if it wouldn't all fit in the bin with the lid closed.

For literally between 2-3 months she just kept putting the bush in the bin out every Friday morning, and every Friday morning, without fail, the truck just drove by it. Eventually, my brother-in-law just went out with a hacksaw and took care of it himself. This was around February to Easter 2012, and we later discovered that the episode had been immortalised on Google Maps - here. Needless to say, my brother-in-law, who owns the house opposite, now spends every waking moment wondering if this picture is affecting the value of his property!

It could be worse. :lol:

My link

Nice attitude for something that's been there over 50 years - "I think Google should remove the street from the internet". Who are these people?!?! Google's fault. Yeah.

Google Maps also caught an ongoing saga in early 2012 involving a brother-in-law's neighbour. She uprooted a large shrub (more like a small tree) and simply plonked the whole thing in her "yard bin" (in California, a wheelie bin into which garden waste is placed, separate from the normal household waste bin). They are collected by an automated truck which grabs the handle on the back and empties it into a hopper, a mechanism which only works if the lid is closed. If stuff is sticking out of the top, it won't work. After the first week in which "Jacinta's bush" (as the artefact came to be nicknamed - sounds like the magnum opus of an African-American feminist novelist, doesn't it?), neigbours politely explained the score to her, and suggested that she saw it up into smaller bits, possibly having it collected over two collections if it wouldn't all fit in the bin with the lid closed.

For literally between 2-3 months she just kept putting the bush in the bin out every Friday morning, and every Friday morning, without fail, the truck just drove by it. Eventually, my brother-in-law just went out with a hacksaw and took care of it himself. This was around February to Easter 2012, and we later discovered that the episode had been immortalised on Google Maps - here. Needless to say, my brother-in-law, who owns the house opposite, now spends every waking moment wondering if this picture is affecting the value of his property!

:lol::lol::lol: