House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Can You Soak Beans Too Long?

[i would think that depending partly on temperature, more than 48 hours would be too much. If they are still viable after that they will probably start to germinate, and if they are not they will start to rot. And even if they start to germinate they will rot anyway if kept too wet.

can you soak beans too long?

?

Yep, they will start to ferment, possibly into Methyl alcohol rather than ethyl alcohol so you can go on a blinder. :lol:

Soaking of red kidney beans is to remove toxin from the skin. throw away the water after 24 hours and wash the beans before cooking.

The toxin exists in varying amounts on other beans and peas. It will give you stomach cramps and wind.

right will leave the soak until tomorrow, though it's likely not to get above 5 degrees in the porch.

busy weekends :(

[i would think that depending partly on temperature, more than 48 hours would be too much. If they are still viable after that they will probably start to germinate, and if they are not they will start to rot. And even if they start to germinate they will rot anyway if kept too wet.

Bean sprouts are delicious too, if they start to germinate. ;)

I leave most pulses to soak overnight. I'm sure I've sometimes forgotten them the following day and cooked up older beans. And sometimes I soak them for more than one thing: for example, soak a lot of chickpeas, and some of them go into a broth while others become houmous, not necessarily on the same day.

It's best to rinse them and/or change the water every day, or they can get mouldy. I quite like to keep them going a few days until they just start to sprout a bit. Not any particular reason, it just amuses me to see them actually growing. Miracle of nature and all that.

Beans only need an eight hour soak at most, to get them to blow up to a normal size for cooking! Do it overnight! If you leave them too long they will sprout and ferment! :huh:

Beans only need an eight hour soak at most, to get them to blow up to a normal size for cooking! Do it overnight! If you leave them too long they will sprout and ferment! :huh:

ooo-er they went in last night around half 6 i think - they'll be getting cooked tonight around the same time!

How do you guys manage to have enough discipline to start preparing food from the day before?

Amazing. And why can you be 4rsed?

How do you guys manage to have enough discipline to start preparing food from the day before?

Being a miser usually helps.

Soaked cooked beans are cheaper than tinned beans. Usually.

I soak at least 500gm of chickpeas for 20 hours, by putting them in a big bowl of cold water at 4.00 pm. Then I drain them, rinse them, and cook them in a pressure cooker for only 20 minutes at midday the next day.

They taste much better than the tinned variety, and if you buy the dry ones from an ethnic shop they are much cheaper. You can freeze them when cooked, and they are none the worse for it. If the length of time needed is not convenient for your day, you could do this at the week end.

The only beans I normally use are the speckled Borlotti beans, or what the Turks call Barbunya. These need only 12 hours soak the at the most, usually overnight, and I never pressure cook these as they tend to disintegrate unless you are very careful.

As a youth, I remember the hippies made their own bean sprouts to go with their tofu, but there was too much to go wrong, and mung beans I never found very interesting.

Now and then I have been organised enough to soak beans before boiling for the specified long period. (Kidney beans?). And then I have wondered whether it really does work out much cheaper, given all the gas needed to cook for an hour and a half or whatever it is.

For anything like thick winter soups (lots in this house) I tend to stick to red lentils and pearl barley, which are lovely and don't need any soaking or hours of cooking.

Love cooking, or more specifically, love drinking.

Can't just sit down and drink a load of booze though, need to have something else to keep my mind occupied.

Guess it's a form of constant learning too.

In fact thinking about it on Wednesday I cooked up a load of BBQ chicken (homemade sauce, big batch made roughly 2 weeks previous) that will be part of a feast on Saturday (I was hoping with some film or other but looks like it'll have to be Doc Who), and then added loaded spam potato skins to last nights cooking (see thickness of spam thread for homemade spam block). Will be making a pizza tomorrow and some salad to go with it.

Finish off the baked beans tonight and veal burgers (prepared yesterday). Make tomato sauce tomorrow and can the beans and sauce.

Jeez xmas is busy.

The absolutely best thing for eating well and cheaply is to have a weekly meal-planner and that dictates what you go out and buy. Everything is sorted and if it involves soaking beans or putting on the slow cooker then you know to do that.

This is the theory and one which I very much agree with.

Personally I'm a bit bloody useless on this but one day I'll get around to it :)

They're a major component of my poverty diet of 2002-3.

The one that costs under £2/week at today's prices.

(I only occasionally eat them now, but they go in to many delicious things).

Well haha.

9 'successful' tins of beans and bacon all canned up.

1 small problem, 3 of the tins i put some naga chilli powder in when reducing. I stuck a small white label on them to discern them from the normal ones but unfortuantely at canning temps it's taken 2 of them off! 1 though wasn't quite full to the brim so that one will be a chilli one, one still has the sticker on, so that means that 1 of the seven that are left is a chilli!

So it looks as if I now have 10 tins of beans as it might be a risk to add the saboteur to a christmas hamper - someone thinking they'll enjoy a nice bit of beans and cheese on toast only to find 2 days of stomach cramps and ring of fire!

It's best to rinse them and/or change the water every day, or they can get mouldy. I quite like to keep them going a few days until they just start to sprout a bit. Not any particular reason, it just amuses me to see them actually growing. Miracle of nature and all that.

I heard that it's good not to change the water, the fermenting is what you want to happen as it starts to auto-digest the beans which destroys some of the toxins (the stuff that makes you fart I suppose)

Well haha.

1 small problem, 3 of the tins i put some naga chilli powder in when reducing. I stuck a small white label on them to discern them from the normal ones but unfortuantely at canning temps it's taken 2 of them off! 1 though wasn't quite full to the brim so that one will be a chilli one, one still has the sticker on, so that means that 1 of the seven that are left is a chilli!

So it looks as if I now have 10 tins of beans as it might be a risk to add the saboteur to a christmas hamper - someone thinking they'll enjoy a nice bit of beans and cheese on toast only to find 2 days of stomach cramps and ring of fire!

It sounds like the Bean Deer Hunter.

Now and then I have been organised enough to soak beans before boiling for the specified long period. (Kidney beans?). And then I have wondered whether it really does work out much cheaper, given all the gas needed to cook for an hour and a half or whatever it is.

For anything like thick winter soups (lots in this house) I tend to stick to red lentils and pearl barley, which are lovely and don't need any soaking or hours of cooking.

A tin of beans has a really really small number of beans in it. If you soak them properly, there's no reason to boil the shiat out of dried beans.

Although I'm a miser...er, I mean, a 'frugalista', I must admit I tend to use tinned beans.

Has anyone done a cost comparison of dried v tinned kidney beans, taking into account the increased boiling time required for the dried version?

Since I don't know what the dry weight of tinned beans is nor the boiling time required for dried ones, it's a bit tricky.

I do know that dried green lentils (which require soaking) are cheaper than orange ones (which can be cooked straight away).

Although I'm a miser...er, I mean, a 'frugalista', I must admit I tend to use tinned beans.

Has anyone done a cost comparison of dried v tinned kidney beans, taking into account the increased boiling time required for the dried version?

Since I don't know what the dry weight of tinned beans is nor the boiling time required for dried ones, it's a bit tricky.

I do know that dried green lentils (which require soaking) are cheaper than orange ones (which can be cooked straight away).

One 500g bag dried kidney beans would yield around 4 cans beans in water.

1 can of kidney beans is around 30p, a 500g dried pack a quid so pretty much like for like.

UNLESS – you use a pressure cooker/canner and buy the beans in bulk. I must try and remember to check the prices the next time I go to the Asian store, I’m pretty sure a kilo will come in at far less than £2 if you’re willing to probably buy 5+ kilo.

Similarly though you could try and bulk buy canned beans but I can’t imagine you’d start to see the same bulk reduction as for dried.

Well haha.

Baked bean roulette.

Make a label that says "I made 10 can of beans but only one of them is ******* hot chilli flavour.

Do you feel lucky?"

And still put a tin in each hamper. With the label, of course.

Baked bean roulette.

Make a label that says "I made 10 can of beans but only one of them is ******* hot chilli flavour.

Do you feel lucky?"

And still put a tin in each hamper. With the label, of course.

And a picture of Harry Callaghan?