House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

These Tablet Things.... How Do They Connect?

I've never needed an Android tablet until now for work. I already have an Android smartphone, so that's a start. I have no idea about tablets though really. I'm sure it's pretty straight forward, but how do they get hooked up with a service provider? I assume you buy a "line" with a provider and you put their sim inside the tablet.

I've bought a cheap Samsung Galaxy tab running Android. Will I be able to hook this up with my current provider T Mobile? I hope so because I just want to add a number to my existing contract, which is inexpensive I'm told. Do tablets have to be unlocked in the same way phones do to work with various providers?

Most tablets connect either via WiFi only or by using a mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot. Therefore they don't need a contract of their own or any messing about with SIM cards. Google 'tethering'.

Some tablets can connect directly themselves via 3g/4g using a SIM, if you choose that route for your tablet (and if it is capable of it) then I'm pretty sure you will need a new contract specifically for your tablet.

..you can also go Mifi...the bonus with these things, is that you an connect multiple devices through one device...A lot of people go for these, if they want to ditch their landline.

Most tablets connect either via WiFi only or by using a mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot. Therefore they don't need a contract of their own or any messing about with SIM cards. Google 'tethering'.

Some tablets can connect directly themselves via 3g/4g using a SIM, if you choose that route for your tablet (and if it is capable of it) then I'm pretty sure you will need a new contract specifically for your tablet.

Hmm I was told at work we could just add the tablet to an existing phone plan very cheaply. I hope that is the case. But if I can use my phone as a hotspot then there isn't any need I suppose.

How do you make your phone into a wifi hotspot?

How do you make your phone into a wifi hotspot?

Android

Step 1

Open the "Settings" menu and tap the "Wireless & Networks" option.

Step 2

Scroll down the screen and then tap "Tethering & Portable Hotspot."

Step 3

Select "Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot."

Step 4

Connect to the Android smartphone from any Wi-Fi-enabled computer or wireless device by selecting "AndroidAP" from the list of available networks.

You can add security to your hotspot and require a password to connect. I advise doing this.

Android

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Connect to the Android smartphone from any Wi-Fi-enabled computer or wireless device by selecting "AndroidAP" from the list of available networks.

You can add security to your hotspot and require a password to connect. I advise doing this.

Thank you Sir! I began to question your judgement, but you've redeemed yourself.

Thank you Sir! I began to question your judgement, but you've redeemed yourself.

Doubts? I'm full of them. But know this, everything you have told me this day will not affect my descisions at our next encounter.

Captain Jean Luc Picard.

Android

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

I suspect I'm probably the one person on here that has absolutely no idea what any of that meant.

You'll need to check with your provider to see if they allow you to tether....Three for instance will make you pay an extra tenner to...(well they do on my plan, and I have unlimited data)...

I have no idea about tablets though really. I'm sure it's pretty straight forward, but how do they get hooked up with a service provider?

Ok, stay away then. I have enough of IT-illiterates flooding web forums with "Hey, I've got a new tablet. Now please spoon-feed me".

Ok, stay away then. I have enough of IT-illiterates flooding web forums with "Hey, I've got a new tablet. Now please spoon-feed me".

I do wonder sometimes if people think their posts through before hitting "Add Reply"

:rolleyes: Do you collect them?

I had another thought on this, though it may be a long shot. My smartphone has internet service already on it. Could I just remove the SIM from it and put it into a suitable tablet? Would that cause any issues?

Unfortunately the tablet I have is only wifi, so it's limited to tethering (doesn't hold a connection) or to Mifi.

I had another thought on this, though it may be a long shot. My smartphone has internet service already on it. Could I just remove the SIM from it and put it into a suitable tablet? Would that cause any issues?

Unfortunately the tablet I have is only wifi, so it's limited to tethering (doesn't hold a connection) or to Mifi.

Yes and no.

Yes, in some circumstances you can although your T&C from your mobile company might not allow this - but it is often difficult for them to know. All depends on what their monitoring kit is at their end.

Giffgaff, for example, offers data plan SIMS for mobiles and also for tablets. Ultimately one firm will come out with some kind of combined deal but, frankly, the tethering to your mobile should be enough.

Why not try it and see what happens? Or do a google and see if others have done it with your network provider.

Out of interest, Dell have some new interesting Windows 8 tablets out in the coming days. For £249 you basically get a 32GB memory Windows 8 8 inch tablet which looks a big step up from the cr*ppy Surface. Problem is, Dell charge about £39 for delivery which is just a rip-off IMPO. At which point you are mini-ipad territory so it is a no brainer.

Also, in the US, you can bump the tablet up to Windows 8 Pro and have 64GB of memory for an extra 50 BUCKS but here, in rip-off Britain, it costs about £335 plus the £39 delivery to jump up to 64GB and for that you just get basic Windows 8 and not Windows 8 Pro.