House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Knimbies who say No

"young See Us As Aliens"- Nick Boles M P

Here's Boles doing what he seems to do best- completely ignoring the glaringly obvious. Screw the young on housing, for the benefit of current asset holders, and surprise surprise you'll struggle to attract new voters.

Despite what Boles says about attempting to shed the image of the party of the rich, he told me why Help to Buy was 'essential' at a Q&A one day. A policy which benefits the richest by propping up prices. Perhaps Boles means he just wants to shed the image of being for the richest, rather than changing the actual facts of the matter.

Conservatives down to 138,000 members now, Labour+Libdems bring the collective total to about 600k. The true 1% of the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10460505/Young-see-us-as-aliens-says-Tory-minister-Nick-Boles.html

The Conservative Party cannot win a majority unless it wins around young people by “shouting from the rooftops” about liberal policies like gay marriage, a Tory minister has said.

Nick Boles, an ally of David Cameron, said that the Conservatives will struggle to win a Commons majority because “a significant number of people will not even contemplate voting Conservative”.

Because the Conservative Party image still repels many voters, the party should consider running candidates under a new National Liberal banner, Mr Boles said.

The minister was a strong supporter of Mr Cameron’s attempts to modernise the image of the Conservative Party and reach out to new voters. His comments reflect concern among senior Tories that the modernisation project has stalled in recent years.

Speaking to the Bright Blue Tory think tank, Mr Boles said that young voters will only back the Conservatives if they highlight their socially liberal policies including allowing gay marriage.

“The Conservative Party will only win office on its own when it has established beyond doubt its commitment to the advance of freedom and found the courage to stake its claim as the party that all liberals should vote for," he said.

“This new group of voters represents a fantastic opportunity for our party. But we have no hope of securing their support if we approach them with the same proposition that we use to woo our stalwart supporters.”

The Coalition legalised same-sex marriage this year despite strong protests from many traditional Conservatives.

Tory strategists have since downplayed the policy to focus on issues like welfare reform and immigration control.

Mr Boles said that the Conservatives should campaign among young voters by emphasising policies like gay marriage, free schools and tax cuts for low earners.

“We should not shy away from those achievements but shout them from the rooftops. They should make us proud,” he said. “Having taken the pain, not to be proud of them is completely pointless.”

Mr Cameron began his leadership of the Tories in 2005 on the premise that the party had to broaden its appeal and reach out to voters who regarded it as so toxic that they would not vote Conservative even if they backed Tory policies.

Mr Boles said that almost eight years later, many voters still “would not countenance voting Conservative”. Many regard the Tories as the “party of the rich”, he said, while other “doubt our motives.

In response, he suggested reviving the now defunct National Liberal Party as a an affiliate of the Conservative Party.

The new organisation would only puts up candidates for election jointly with the Conservative Party, just as the Co-Operative Party sponsors Labour candidates.

“Existing MPs, councillors, candidates and party members of liberal views would be encouraged to join. And we could use it to recruit new supporters who might initially balk at the idea of calling themselves Conservative,” Mr Boles said.

Despite the minister’s close links with Mr Cameron, Downing Street quickly rejected the National Liberal suggestion, but insisted that the Prime Minister has full confidence in Mr Boles.

I'm not sure the Conservative party has any liberal aspects whatsoever, Boles especially given his appetite for attempting to strongarm buyers to take on too much debt to cover developers' poor business decisions in buying land at bubble prices.

FWIW:

@cheeznbreed tweeted:

@NickBolesMP If you want the young to vote Tory, lower house prices. Not the monthly repayments, or the interest rates- the prices.

Indeed. The Tories should be liberalising the market, they are the only party in Britain who have the ideological underpinnings to do so.

That they are the only guys who might help, but even they won't, is profoundly depressing. Instead we get meddling and more meddling from left and right.

Personally I see them as a bunch of posh out-of-touch idiot gentry who couldn't manage a fart at a baked bean eating competition.

Worse Tory frontbench in history by an absolute country mile.

I'll be voting them out in the hope they get rid of the cancerous morons currently making this mess umpteen times worse.

Edited by byron78

Personally I see them as a bunch of posh out-of-touch idiot gentry who couldn't manage a fart at a baked bean eating competition.

Have you ever looked at any of their backgrounds? Try this: Cabinet of the UK

Outside of Cameron & Osbourne the vast majority come from ordinary middle class families.

Not that it really matters, but the Conservative party as a whole actually voted against the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill in both the Commons and the Lords. It passed because Labour and the Lib Dems voted for it.

Wiki

Edited by Dorkins

I reckon there are two new forces developing - UKIP'ers and the non-voters. Both are empowered by extreme disaffection. The middle ground Labour, Cons and Dems are on the decline. God knows what will come out of this. One thing I'm sure of now though is that the cause of extremism always lies with the sheer incompetence and super-mismanagement of the mainstream. The scary thing is that the mainstream will still, even now, carry on with more of the same.

I reckon there are two new forces developing - UKIP'ers and the non-voters. Both are empowered by extreme disaffection. The middle ground Labour, Cons and Dems are on the decline. God knows what will come out of this. One thing I'm sure of now though is that the cause of extremism always lies with the sheer incompetence and super-mismanagement of the mainstream. The scary thing is that the mainstream will still, even now, carry on with more of the same.

Indeed.

It's because they don't actually choose the main policies. They only implement them.

They are NOT the party of 'aspiration', for business and capitalism any more.

They are a throwback to an earlier rentier society. Young people saddled with huge, unnecessary debts will grow to hate them.

As for the misuse of the term 'liberal', where do we start.

+1

Good on you for making that tweet. Hammer on the nail's head. Good to see HPCers active in saying what needs to be said to those who need to hear it.

For all the difference it makes, at the moment at least. I asked Boles to his face why, if he gave a monkey's about making housing affordable, his Govt was actively pushing policies to raise the costs and/or preserve current prices. He said HTB was 'essential' otherwise 'builders wouldn't build'. Utter crap, smoke 'em out and see how long they last without doing any work. Insolvency, write downs and asset sales to new entrants. He ferociously opposes any stuff like that, but he's hardly alone in the cabinet in that regard.

Hopefully, with an electoral spanking secured, the alleged sound money types which this party is rumoured to contain, will get rid of all the wets that have infiltrated the top team. Although, quite why I care about that is another matter. Might be nice to have a mainstream centre-right economic party with aspiration/meritocratic ideas allied to keeping the costs of life's essentials in check, as an option, if nothing else. I doubt that I'm going to get it though.

Broached the topic of emigration with the missus this week, she's open to looking into it. Not an immediate concern, maybe a couple of years before we'd start looking at it seriously, but it will be looked at.

Boles seems to be (intentionally) missing the point.

It's not that people see the Tories as the party of Old Etonian Bullingdon Club hedge fund bankster landowning rentiers.

It's that they are the part of Old Etonian Bullingdon Club hedge fund bankster landowning rentiers.

Broached the topic of emigration with the missus this week, she's open to looking into it. Not an immediate concern, maybe a couple of years before we'd start looking at it seriously, but it will be looked at.

But where - Canada / Aus - still seem to have big bubbles. Maybe not in the suburbs of tier 2 Canadian cities/towns? Anyone know prices in biggish cities?

Germany/Denmark etc a possibility, but the culture is very different and hard to settle in, I suspect.

Have you ever looked at any of their backgrounds? Try this: Cabinet of the UK

Outside of Cameron & Osbourne the vast majority come from ordinary middle class families.

But 90% attended Oxford & Cambridge,those well known training grounds for street level politicians.

Edited by Sancho Panza

All the Tories deliberately miss the point, including the 'libertarian' and 'reforming' Douglas Carswell. What a joke.

Cut them in half and 'rentier' and 'corporatist' written right the way through them.

I am disgusted with myself for every supporting the Tories, voting for them, and even worse, being a member, and even standing for election at one point. Actually glad I stood though as I learned what a bitchy bunch of vipers the Tories were.

But 90% attended Oxford & Cambridge,those well known training grounds for street level politicians.

By virtue of earning a place through intelligence and hard work.

Would you prefer it if politicians were dim and a bit lazy?

By virtue of earning a place through intelligence and hard work.

Would you prefer it if politicians were dim and a bit lazy?

Even if getting a place at Oxbrdge always equates with intelligence (as opposed to, for instance, having the right background / tie / accent), evidently that particular kind of intelligence isn't much use when it comes to running a country or an economy, on recent showing.

We need people with a different kind of intelligence - or even a plurality of different kinds.

Even if getting a place at Oxbrdge always equates with intelligence (as opposed to, for instance, having the right background / tie / accent), evidently that particular kind of intelligence isn't much use when it comes to running a country or an economy, on recent showing.

We need people with a different kind of intelligence - or even a plurality of different kinds.

I don't think anyone could deny they have an extraordinary aptitude for regurgitating received wisdom.