House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

motch

Slide Robe And Similar Fitted Sliding Wardrobes.

I've been thinking of having these for sometime. My flat is ideally suited to it, high ceilings, wide wall to fit it on, and we have loads of kit to fill it with. I think they look pretty good, but the price varies from several thousands for the full on get a TV advertised firm to build it all (admittedly looks v good) to well under a grand for a DIY yourself version.

Anyone here had any experience? and does it add any value to your house?

Hopefully it could also help reduce some of the nightclub music coming from next doors flat, perhaps adding some soundproofing on the wall beforehand too.

I used spaceslide.co.uk. Great service, floor to ceiling, oak frame with bronzed mirror. Looked great, and a good price. I managed to fit them myself, pretty straightforward. The hardest part was drilling into the concrete ceiling and floor, you'll need a mains powered hammer drill and several bits for that.

I've been thinking of having these for sometime. My flat is ideally suited to it, high ceilings, wide wall to fit it on, and we have loads of kit to fill it with. I think they look pretty good, but the price varies from several thousands for the full on get a TV advertised firm to build it all (admittedly looks v good) to well under a grand for a DIY yourself version.

Hopefully it could also help reduce some of the nightclub music coming from next doors flat, perhaps adding some soundproofing on the wall beforehand too.

It won't make much difference to the noise. We have big mirrored robe doors, they were there before we moved in.

They bong quite a bit as you slide them open as the glass acts like a drum skin. Unless you added some anti drumming material like under the bonnet of your car you can't avoid that.

My brother once made a false wall on the party wall of his bedroom using a stud frame mounted away from the existing wall, filled it with insulation and then applied 2 layers of 12.5mm plasterboard. It worked but only because the noisy neighbours moved away from all the drilling and banging.

Would the robe add to the value of the house? Probably not unless they are mirrored doors and you find someone who likes to see themselves having sex in bed. Ours was a repossession from a BTL landlord who went bust so it didn't figure in my estimates. :lol:

I used spaceslide.co.uk. Great service, floor to ceiling, oak frame with bronzed mirror. Looked great, and a good price. I managed to fit them myself, pretty straightforward. The hardest part was drilling into the concrete ceiling and floor, you'll need a mains powered hammer drill and several bits for that.

Yes, had a quick look around and they seem pretty decent. My ceiling height is 250cm high, so pretty much bang on the max 2490mm doors.. as these are machined/cut down to size i'm guessing these are the normal uncut height? (ie 2490mm).

Big slide doors are expensive, must be a big mark up on these. The standard mirror ones are cheap enough though.

Big advantage if you are short on space though, e.g. at the end of a bed is that you do not have to allow for wardrobe doors swinging right open.

Daughter's small house has 2 walls of sliding mirror doors installed by previous owners - they are brilliant.

I'm guessing bedroom customisation will detract from the value of your flat. It imposes no choice on the future buyer. Sliding robes would be a big minus for me.

Look at it like this people spend a huge premium for brand new property and then the buyers spend thousands wrecking them when all the next buyer wants is the neutral original spec.....but rarely found.

I'm guessing bedroom customisation will detract from the value of your flat. It imposes no choice on the future buyer. Sliding robes would be a big minus for me.

Look at it like this people spend a huge premium for brand new property and then the buyers spend thousands wrecking them when all the next buyer wants is the neutral original spec.....but rarely found.

Yes, I didn't think it would add value to the flat (was just trying to keep it in the main forum for more coverage, soon moved to off topic after an hour though :lol: )

Interesting about possibly detracting value from the place.

I can't imagine any "real man" has enough clothes to fill a wardrobe! Unless he is an actor or something! :blink:

I can't imagine any "real man" has enough clothes to fill a wardrobe! Unless he is an actor or something! :blink:

I have more than enough clothes to fill a wardrobe and I'm no actor!

I have more than enough clothes to fill a wardrobe and I'm no actor!

Do you have the hat, an magnifying glass in real life, or did you take the "blue pill"? :huh:

Personally I'd love a place with proper floor to ceiling wardrobes.

Re the soundproofing I can offer a bit of personal experience on that one. Owned a house years ago, halls adjoining Victorian style, lovely neighbours, nightmare for noise through the walls. Got together with them and we soundproofed downstairs they did upstairs. Just need some soundproofed dense plasterboard, something on the lines of this, but plenty of stuff on the net http://www.soundproofingrus.com/walls/?gclid=CNOOnrjY-7oCFfSWtAodNUoAuA Involved taking of skirting boards and picture rails, whacking up the board, lining paper over the top, re-paint, replace woodwork. Not as bad as it sounds, wasn't very expensive at the time, job done. So worth it for the sleep.

Personally I'd love a place with proper floor to ceiling wardrobes.

Re the soundproofing I can offer a bit of personal experience on that one. Owned a house years ago, halls adjoining Victorian style, lovely neighbours, nightmare for noise through the walls. Got together with them and we soundproofed downstairs they did upstairs. Just need some soundproofed dense plasterboard, something on the lines of this, but plenty of stuff on the net http://www.soundproo...CFfSWtAodNUoAuA Involved taking of skirting boards and picture rails, whacking up the board, lining paper over the top, re-paint, replace woodwork. Not as bad as it sounds, wasn't very expensive at the time, job done. So worth it for the sleep.

Indeed. The floor to ceiling wardrobes would be great for me, with big storage and a decent set of sliding doors. I have two rooms which could have wall to wall and floor to ceiling sliding doors. The main bedroom would offer HUGE amount of storage, 3.7metres wide, up to 2.5 metres high, and possible depth of up to 1 metre :blink: trouble here is two wall lights in the way, and a couple of electric sockets would be hidden, although I could make use of the sockets with computer/TV screen hidden in there possibly. Plus would mean moving the bed onto the other wall behind it, and not sure if the side cabinets would fit ok, plus other displaced drawers and so on.

The other bedroom would be the easiest to fit, nothing in the way, dead square walls/ceilings, could choose depth between 50cm to say 80cm easily. width 2.44 metres, height 2.37 metres. .....

....Trouble here is the bed would foul the door opening up, so thinking a decent sliding door set up (for not too much money ?) that looks good and works well - but would it keep sound in/out properly ?

Regarding the Party wall soundproofing, was thinking a couple of inches of soundboarding/rubber backing mats etc on the walls and then the fitted sliding wardrobes with floor to ceiling stuff in it - this should hopefully reduce airbourne sounds a fair bit if done properly? I could fit an inch or two of soundboarding on the floors and ceilings perhaps inside the wardrobe area too.

I'm thinking of putting two bikes behind it and a fish tank!:blink: a pair of jeans, a couple of t-shirts and shorts, socks/pants in a single draw should do it :P