• Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Perhaps we could hasten its demise if we banned religious schools as they do in France, where all state education is strictly secular.

What is it with the continentals and banning things? they're worse than us. I'm not sure the French and their multi-cultural multi-religious experiences are something to aspire to anyway.

I despise religion - yet completely believe in freedom of religion. If people want to (voluntarily) segregate on religious lines, the state has no business stopping them (or forcing them). Only parent groups should be allowed to determine what sort of school their children are educated in, not politicians.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Lets face it, the majority of people don't critically examine anything and will follow like sheep. The powers that be have known this for a long time The removal of Christianity just means we have a new religion, whatever that may be. Consumerism, Equality and Diversity, Marxism. Who knows? Personally I would rather have a moderate Anglican influence than any of those.

Militant atheists remind me of militant Muslims. They are typically intolerant of opposing world views and seek to impose theirs as an absolute on all around them, asserting that it is unequivocally the truth.

Ultimately this country will get the morals and values it deserves and if I survive, I will be happy to assist in writing its obituary.

HOLA4411

What is it with the continentals and banning things? they're worse than us. I'm not sure the French and their multi-cultural multi-religious experiences are something to aspire to anyway.

I despise religion - yet completely believe in freedom of religion. If people want to (voluntarily) segregate on religious lines, the state has no business stopping them (or forcing them). Only parent groups should be allowed to determine what sort of school their children are educated in, not politicians.

In pre-1789 France, the (Catholic) Church was a major power, part of the 1%. They (or at least some parts of the church) openly encouraged counter-revolutionary activity in the years after the revolution.

The history of France in the following century is pretty much the history of the fight between the revolutionaries (the middle-class bourgeois) and the 1% (the aristocrats and the church). So when the middle-class finally won, it left a strong and bitter anti-clerical streak in the French state. It's expressed in many ways, one of which is their insistence on secular values in schools. It leads to - for example - a ban on (religious) veils, which affects the (small) part of the muslim community who are actually religious [1].

[1] I say small part because muslims IME are much like self-declared christians - they'll go to the church/temple/mosque on important dates in order to be seen, then the rest of the year they'll drink wine/use contraception/gamble/etc...

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Youtube is chock full of atheists beheading people for not accepting empiricism, fact. And everyone knows that Richard Dawkins is always blowing up churches and mosques.

Mao and Stalin managed to chew their way through tens of millions of folk without any reference to sky fairies.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

There will be a joyous day in the future when all religion is extinct.

Religion is a vile invention used to control us through our fear of death and oblivion. It is the root of all evil.

Nah, that's money.

HOLA4417

Nah, that's money.

I'd go for a desire for wanting other people's stuff and telling them what to do as being the root of all evil. No coin required. Though it certainly can help to speed the process along.

I'd love to believe that kicking organised religion into touch would put an end to megalomania and thievery but I really doubt it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Christians live longer and are more happy in general, I believe, than atheists, seem to remember seeing some studies on this point.

I doubt if it is because God is answering their prayers or looking after them better, but it should be food for thought for those advocating total secularism.

Humans are, well, humans, we all appear to live in one kind of illusion or another.

So until we are able to change ourselves, I suspect religion is with us to stay.

HOLA4420

The OP is about Christianity dying out. Not religion. Religion is very much likely to continue but it won't be of the polite Anglican variety that kept out of most people's way since the mid-nineteenth century.

More's the pity - IMO it's the best of them, while not being perfect of course.

HOLA4421

I'd go for a desire for wanting other people's stuff and telling them what to do as being the root of all evil. No coin required. Though it certainly can help to speed the process along.

I'd love to believe that kicking organised religion into touch would put an end to megalomania and thievery but I really doubt it.

That's why on threads like this I always marvel at how all of a sudden the politicians and banksters (the general devilish duo on this forum) seem to get away completely scot free?

HOLA4422

Christians live longer and are more happy in general, I believe, than atheists, seem to remember seeing some studies on this point.

I doubt if it is because God is answering their prayers or looking after them better, but it should be food for thought for those advocating total secularism.

Humans are, well, humans, we all appear to live in one kind of illusion or another.

So until we are able to change ourselves, I suspect religion is with us to stay.

Probably because a bit of comforting self-delusion makes life less stressful. Maybe life does work out better if you believe in a load of gibberish rather than facing the reality of the world, which is really rather tragic.

HOLA4423

[1] I say small part because muslims IME are much like self-declared christians - they'll go to the church/temple/mosque on important dates in order to be seen, then the rest of the year they'll drink wine/use contraception/gamble/etc...

Yes, i think there is an element of 'culture' rather than 'religion' to our 'muslim' problems.

The yanks dont seem to have too many problems with their (predominantly) persian muslim population, as most were educated and outward looking.

We seem to have problems with our Pakistani community which seems to mostly originate from the most backward inbred areas of that country.

Gross generalization, but probably not far from the truth.

HOLA4424

Probably because a bit of comforting self-delusion makes life less stressful. Maybe life does work out better if you believe in a load of gibberish rather than facing the reality of the world, which is really rather tragic.

I think this is spot on.

There was a piece on the Telegraph that questioned "Why do people turn to religion at times of loss". Poignant since I was dealing with the loss of my cat at the time.

It's really simple.

It would be far more comforting to me to believe that my cat is at "The Rainbow Bridge" all healed from his illness, frolicking and playing with other cats waiting to be reunited with me than that he is gone forever and his remains are in a box buried at the bottom of the garden.

Personally, I think the idea of "State religion" is close to evil, and the Church trying to appease the government to push "customers" their way is equally evil.

The C of E could start by looking at why they're losing so many "customers" beginning with their own "un-Christian" bigotry and seek to make their own amends and to become relevant.

Free market. Believe what you want to believe. I'd love to think that the decline of Christianity is because we've decided to evolve as human beings and stop attaching labels to ourselves and, instead, adopting our own views through independent thinking, but I suspect this is not the case because human beings are still the same basically flawed creatures that we have always been most of whom seek to be led and still, science can get nowhere near to any explanation of how we all came to be here.

If Christianity brings a person comfort to believe in it, then that's a good thing and nobody can take that from them or should even try to. And it's still there, and available to anyone who wants it, indeed it always will be.

HOLA4425

Oh yeah. Communists are murderous, destructive, militantly anti-religious atheists. I take my mockery and bake it into humble pie.

Which is why we need freedom of religion or no religion, not forced 'freedom' from religion, which is why I would not outlaw religious schools, even if I personally disagree with them.

Communists are kind of like religionists though. They all seem to want to mould society into a precise order via denial of freedom and believe everything will be just perfect once they have complete control.

Archived