House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Cook Your Dinner For Almost Nothing

I love this sort of thing, thanks. Any other amazing contraptions made from waste?

Not waste - but a solar vacuum tube can be used to heat up a liquid meal in less than an hour in winter sunshine

Not impressed. it has no tealights, nor flower pots.

Nor does it make claims that defy the laws of physics, which is essential in these sorts of DIY videos.

If I was designing a DIY cooker, i would use thermalite and link the video into the WTC building 7 story for maximum hits.

I still don't remember you answering Nuggets' point.

Who exactly are you accusing of conferring 'magical powers' to flowerpots?

It is quite a similar situation to fluffy's post yesterday. Take the p*ss out of some ridiculous pysics but without stating who it is and exactly for what you are accusing them.

To blithely cast aspersions around to everyone one who is participating on a thread leaves a bad taste.

There was a previous thread where it was suggested that a couple of flower pots could make a tea light candle burn so hot that it could heat your room for eight hours.

Here's another design:

I've made a few of these can stoves and that particular design is my favourite. You can knock one up in a few minutes with just a penknife/ multitool.

Unlike this, slightly more elaborate, model...

I still don't remember you answering Nuggets' point.

Who exactly are you accusing of conferring 'magical powers' to flowerpots?

It is quite a similar situation to fluffy's post yesterday. Take the p*ss out of some ridiculous pysics but without stating who it is and exactly for what you are accusing them.

To blithely cast aspersions around to everyone one who is participating on a thread leaves a bad taste.

A bit touchy, aren't we? :rolleyes: I'm sure Sarah & Nuggets can take it in good humour.

You are complaining that I do not name specific people?

To settle all doubt: I am making fun of anyone, on any forum, anywhere in the world, who makes absurd claims about energy from nowhere, cold fusion, etc., etc., including some people in the tealight thread.

I haven't mentioned 'magical powewrs' in this thread. Anyone who thinks that costs of heating can be reduced (read:conjuring energy from nowhere) by placing a flower pot over a flame, as opposed to just letting the flame burn, does not understand basic physics.

A floower pot may have some advantages (perhaps allowing temperature to rise slower, and thus be raised for longer) but that is not the same as getting free (or even cheap) energy.

i made a perpetual motion contraption once.

unfortuantely i was drunk so i don't remember where i put it or how i made it, i can assure you it is still in motion though.

I love this sort of thing, thanks. Any other amazing contraptions made from waste?

Welcome to my world

Sticking with the Free Energy theme...

- DIY wood gas stove

- Pot Cosies

Working an allotment is particularly good excuse for rummaging around other people's bins and skips. I've currently got a dozen crates I salvaged, sitting out back, which are going to be converted into a couple of stacking wormeries

219ba6b.jpg

Working an allotment is particularly good excuse for rummaging around other people's bins and skips. I've currently got a dozen crates I salvaged, sitting out back, which are going to be converted into a couple of stacking wormeries

219ba6b.jpg

Love the wormery.

Love skips.

Can't go past one without looking :)

219ba6b.jpg

Can I have a link for the wormery design/build.

Welcome to my world

- DIY wood gas stove

- Pot Cosies

219ba6b.jpg

Worms can be stacked? :blink: i have difficulty just keeping worms straight when I lay then end-to-end.

Can I have a link for the wormery design/build.

Just to be clear, the one in the photo isn't mine. I have a purpose built stacking wormery along these lines...

120qqdu.jpg

and I'm going to be knocking up a couple of clones with the previously mentioned crates.

There are a couple of potential issues with this one...

219ba6b.jpg

It doesn't appear to have a lid and worms do like to scamper. Plus the crates are straight-sided and won't settle as the waste inside them reduces down. Which means that empty spaces will develop and the worms won't be able to move around so well.

The ones I'm planning to knock up will work something like this one here. Only I won't bother with the mesh and will just drill a load of holes in the bottom of the crates to allow for drainage and for the worms to move up through the crates as I fill them.

Just to be clear, the one in the photo isn't mine. I have a purpose built stacking wormery along these lines...

120qqdu.jpg

and I'm going to be knocking up a couple of clones with the previously mentioned crates.

Ahhhh, worm honey. Yum!

Welcome to my world

- DIY wood gas stove

Ooh, I like the look of that. I might try making it, just got to find a reason to open the catering size can of beans in the pantry first :rolleyes: . A massive branch fell off our dying plum tree in the St Judes day storm, and our lodger has just been out and broken it up into a couple of sackfuls of pretty small twigs which I reckon will go like the clappers in one of those. I just hope I can light them with old Metros scrounged out of the bus garage bins!

A sackful of twigs probably has the same cooking potential as about 50 pence worth of gas, so I could make a useful saving here! :lol:

Edit to say: the title of this thread is a bit funny; I already cook my dinner for almost nothing using gas, which despite all the moaning about energy companies profiteering etc., is still AFAIK by far the cheapest fuel on a cost per Joule basis. Unless anyone knows of a ridiculously cheap source of meths / industrial alcohol? I'm pretty sure you can buy big 15 litre plastic jerrycans of it in French supermarkets, but I think it still works out at well over a pound a litre...