House Price Crash Forum

Keep On Renting!

HOLA441

In my experience landlords do the absolute minimum, won't make repairs that are for the benefit of the tenant but don't affect the structure of the property and really only spend money when they have a very high chance of having a big structural issue which will affect their rent seeking/capital appreciation. Many don't even know they are supposed to have yearly gas checks or protect tenants deposits and with the easy ability to evict "troublesome" tenants (i.e. ones that don't expect to live in damp, mould ridden properties) so easily with an S21, why would they bother to spend money when the law is all on their side? This is why so many tenants end up paying for repairs/new white goods themselves, because they are scared that if they complain they will be evicted.

Agree with this but we are in a situation where we are renting privately and the landlord has not, to our knowledge, protected the deposit (99.9% certain they have not) We didnt get notification. So in this case a S21 won't hold - they have to take out a court order to evict us. So we are in a good bargaining position. I won't mewntion the deposit to them until things get really abd and I'm hoping they won't but we have again found ourselves in ahouse with inherent damp problems and various other quirks that you don't find until you live in a place (like the fact the roof was overrun with rats and teh oft is covered in rat shit! They knew about htis and didnt tell us although I believe the rats have all been poisoned.)

I don't have time enough to post on here as much as I want but I still rpefer renting whilst property is so expensive. Most of the actual problems we have with houses would be present in a house if we bought one but we would have to pay for it. The downside is that if it's your own property you just get on with repairs (If you can afford it!!!)

I also want to strangle people when they ask me why we aren't using the latest help to buy scheme or whatever other hairbrained schemes they come up with. Remember Prescott's 60k houses? I too believe that many think I am a failure for not owning a house and I also believe that if you don't own a house many homeowners think your opinions on economics or anything else are potty.

To add, we have 2 children and they have become adept at moving and recently even changed schools and coped remarkeably well. With the childrens ages both around the 10 years mark we are now looking at perhaps buying a small place for just the two of us when we are older, possibly abroad.

Anyway, plenty of anecdotes to add when I get time. I'd also like to thank the OP for his interesting post as others have - welcome aboard the HPC ship.

HOLA442

Agree with this but we are in a situation where we are renting privately and the landlord has not, to our knowledge, protected the deposit (99.9% certain they have not) We didnt get notification. So in this case a S21 won't hold - they have to take out a court order to evict us. So we are in a good bargaining position. I won't mewntion the deposit to them until things get really abd and I'm hoping they won't but we have again found ourselves in ahouse with inherent damp problems and various other quirks that you don't find until you live in a place (like the fact the roof was overrun with rats and teh oft is covered in rat shit! They knew about htis and didnt tell us although I believe the rats have all been poisoned.)

I don't have time enough to post on here as much as I want but I still rpefer renting whilst property is so expensive. Most of the actual problems we have with houses would be present in a house if we bought one but we would have to pay for it. The downside is that if it's your own property you just get on with repairs (If you can afford it!!!)

I also want to strangle people when they ask me why we aren't using the latest help to buy scheme or whatever other hairbrained schemes they come up with. Remember Prescott's 60k houses? I too believe that many think I am a failure for not owning a house and I also believe that if you don't own a house many homeowners think your opinions on economics or anything else are potty.

To add, we have 2 children and they have become adept at moving and recently even changed schools and coped remarkeably well. With the childrens ages both around the 10 years mark we are now looking at perhaps buying a small place for just the two of us when we are older, possibly abroad.

Anyway, plenty of anecdotes to add when I get time. I'd also like to thank the OP for his interesting post as others have - welcome aboard the HPC ship.

In the probably not too distant future students of human behaviour are going to ponder why so many threw themselves on the rocks of lifetime debt to buy basic shelter, it really is maladaptive behaviour at it`s finest. Taking out a 500k mortgage you can`t afford if base rate goes to 1.5% because you "need to get on the ladder" (what ladder?) is potty behaviour at it`s most potty :lol: If the recent tone on this website is in any way reflective of the sentiment changes out in sheeple world, then it looks like those that took on big debts are the new Prize Numpties, because all the jokes seem to be on them? A few years ago it just wouldn`t have worked to say that taking the biggest loan you could get was stupid, it is now like shooting fish in a barrel, the debt numpties have now twigged that they f*ucked up?

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA443

There is very much a sentiment of gang stupidity. I feel people try and pressure me because they know they ******ed up and are now hoping that if I "join" them we can all be in the shit together.

I have rented with very few "professional" landlords. Still every time they don't do a gas safety check or protect a deposit I know I have them over a barrel. One landlord tried to withhold the deposit when I left and he hadn't been meeting his obligations. He tried to threaten me with a lawyer and it ended up very expensive for him, by the time he covered everything it must have cancelled out his years rent! :)

On the subject of mould, I knew someone who bought a contemporary urban apartment in a converted warehouse. 200k plus it cost him. Very swish shortly after moving in mould appeared. After it was analyzed it was found to be deadly to humans and he had to leave immediately. A long battle ensued with the developers and he ended up living back home paying a mortgage on a house which could kill him. Took ages to sort it out in fact last time I spoke to him the situation still wasn't sorted.

Its a great idea to turn off the tv, you can do so much in that time that's useful instead. Someone once told me "why do you think its called programming?"I think that says it all.

HOLA444
HOLA445