House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snowflux

My 11-Plus Hell: One Parent's Angst Over Aptitude Test

My 11-plus hell

Anyone else relate to this? My lad's in Year 5 and I'm having to deal with this crap. In my day, you just did a couple of past papers to see how it worked, then sat the test. Nowadays, everyone seems to think a child doesn't stand a chance of passing the 11+ without months, if not years, of expensive tuition. Then there's the bizarre situation of the schools and teachers publicly advising against tutoring while privately strongly advising tutoring!

My 11-plus hell

Anyone else relate to this? My lad's in Year 5 and I'm having to deal with this crap. In my day, you just did a couple of past papers to see how it worked, then sat the test. Nowadays, everyone seems to think a child doesn't stand a chance of passing the 11+ without months, if not years, of expensive tuition. Then there's the bizarre situation of the schools and teachers publicly advising against tutoring while privately strongly advising tutoring!

:huh:

I just passed the 11+, no problems! What tuition? I just read books from the "adult" library!! Kids should not have "stress"!

Some blossom later! :blink:

Looks like a lot of peer pressure from mumsnet types tbh. There's no way I'd send my kid to a private tutor at that age. Bonkers imo. Easy for me to say of course...

There's a lot of peer pressure from everyone. I don't want to have my lad tutored for it, but I'm worried that it'd being doing him a disservice if everyone else is, as they seem to be. He's nearly 10 and will be sitting the test in about a year from now.

:huh:

I just passed the 11+, no problems! What tuition? I just read books from the "adult" library!! Kids should not have "stress"!

Some blossom later! :blink:

I suspect your 11+ lies some way back in history, before the craziness set in! ;)

There's a lot of peer pressure from everyone. I don't want to have my lad tutored for it, but I'm worried that it'd being doing him a disservice if everyone else is, as they seem to be. He's nearly 10 and will be sitting the test in about a year from now.

Your kid has to make his own way!

:blink:

My 11-plus hell

My understanding is the tests this year where modified for the first time in years so their were no reference papers to practice and tutor on. Thank god my eldests 11 plus is 4 years away so the tutors have time to adjust.

M

I suspect your 11+ lies some way back in history, before the craziness set in! ;)

I'm quite old now, and have calmed down to a 1200cc motorbike!! My 11+ was in 1968! ;)

Understandable concerns, no doubt. My missus was not put forward for the 11 plus by her parents who felt it was too much pressure at a young age. She went to a shithole secondary and on to Oxford regardless. Hard to know what to conclude about it but it is telling that one of her parents is a teacher. This was a while ago mind so things may have changed(for the worse by the sounds of it).

I'm quite old now, and have calmed down to a 1200cc motorbike!! My 11+ was in 1968! ;)

Understandable concerns, no doubt. My missus was not put forward for the 11 plus by her parents who felt it was too much pressure at a young age. She went to a shithole secondary and on to Oxford regardless. Hard to know what to conclude about it but it is telling that one of her parents is a teacher. This was a while ago mind so things may have changed(for the worse by the sounds of it).

The German system seems a lot less stressful. The children don't sit a special exam there; instead, their primary school teachers recommend which type of secondary school the kids are best suited for on the basis of their general record.

The German system seems a lot less stressful. The children don't sit a special exam there; instead, their primary school teachers recommend which type of secondary school the kids are best suited for on the basis of their general record.

Christ Almighty! I would have to have done "special physics! at a "Nodding Shop" :blink:

Sounds much better, that's what the 11 plus is attempting to determine after all.

Sounds spot on, got to admire the Germans for getting something else right.

Doubt these parents paying for tutoring are doing their kids the favour they think. For some being one of the smarter kids at the comp instead of struggling at the grammar school could be the best thing that could happen.

I wouldn't sweat school/uni and exams too much. The cream will still always rise to the top out in the real world.

Not sure how much faith I have in teacher's ability to pick winners.

Doubt these parents paying for tutoring are doing their kids the favour they think. For some being one of the smarter kids at the comp instead of struggling at the grammar school could be the best thing that could happen.

I wouldn't sweat school/uni and exams too much. The cream will still always rise to the top out in the real world.

[/quote

It's the "floaters" that rise to the top! Talent sinks! :blink:

It does definitely help, and people who haven't got a degree or whatever seem to constantly need to justify their not having done one.

But unless you want to be an academic postgrad degrees are IMO a waste of time, effort and money in career terms. And I speak as somebody with one.

Im sure in that case, the teachers would get a lot of "christmas gifts" under the table from parents. They will choose their favourites, which would not necessarily be the ones with the best ability. It is too much responsibility to give to one person that is why a test is better.

Im sure in that case, the teachers would get a lot of "christmas gifts" under the table from parents. They will choose their favourites, which would not necessarily be the ones with the best ability. It is too much responsibility to give to one person that is why a test is better.

I don't think it is decided by one person. AFAIK, the teachers meet and decide together which child is recommended for what. Also, it is just a recommendation, which the parents are free to dispute. However, from what I know, most parents are generally happy to send their children to a vocational rather than a grammar school if that's what the teachers recommend.

Are you speaking from experience or assumption?

Is a test reliable if the claim in the linked article about results being strongly linked to coaching and not ability is credible?

Guest eight

My 11-plus hell

Can you not tutor him? You seem to be not thick.

Can you not tutor him? You seem to be not thick.

Cheers! Well, I and another parent have bought some books with supposedly similar questions from W.H.Smiths and have started getting our kids to work through them. I'm not sure how well these books reflect the actual test through, or whether the tutors have access to material that we don't.

At least there don't seem to be any global warming questions ;)

Guest eight

At least there don't seem to be any global warming questions ;)

That's a pity. You seem to have all the answers.