House Price Crash Forum

Princess Anne Says Eat A Horse

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I don't really understand this. When the horsemeat scandal broke many on here said that they would happily eat horse. as did many interviewed by the media. Horsemeat was described as low fat, high protein and tasty.

At the time animal welfare charities said that they supported eating horsemeat as it would give more value to horses and stop their owners abandoning them. And now Princess Anne is saying the same.

So why can I still not buy horsemeat in any British supermarket?

Yours, confused.

Princess Anne: Eating horsemeat 'might improve animal welfare'

9 hours ago

Princess Anne has suggested that British attitudes to eating horsemeat might have to change to improve the standards of care for the animals.

Her comments come in the wake of the horsemeat scandal and as charities warn of a horse welfare crisis, with 7,000 at risk of abandonment and neglect.

During a speech to the annual conference of the charity World Horse Welfare, of which she is president, the Princess Royal claimed that owners might take better care of their horses if they believed they could sell them for meat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24954892

HOLA442
HOLA443

I don't really understand this. When the horsemeat scandal broke many on here said that they would happily eat horse. as did many interviewed by the media. Horsemeat was described as low fat, high protein and tasty.

At the time animal welfare charities said that they supported eating horsemeat as it would give more value to horses and stop their owners abandoning them. And now Princess Anne is saying the same.

So why can I still not buy horsemeat in any British supermarket?

Yours, confused.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24954892

Perhaps 9 hours isn't a long enough lead time to get horse in to supermarket shelves?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

You can certainly buy horse in France! If it is horse, it should not be sold as "beef"! :huh:

It is not very popular in France these days and the horse meat scandal was big in France too. Try Switzerland if you really fancy a bit of horse.

Personally I don't like horsemeat much; maybe in burgers mixed with beef it would be ok.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

We're lucky. A new Aldi has just opened 5 minutes walk away. :)

Lucky is not the word! Both theoretically walkable but usually drive, thought I'd be cycling them since I got my bike but been a bit lazy. It's more getting it all out and getting changed than the actual cycling.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Silly discussion really as surely old horses would not be wanted for food stuffs - it would be young animals surely and the old ones still dumped?

Old and young horses get dumped. I guess longer term there would be fewer old unwanted horses if the owners thought they could flog them for meat.

I suspect some of the meat processing industry are not too fussy about the age of animal contributing the meat.

HOLA4413

When I read the thread title I thought this was going to be a comment about austerity and how to eat more cheaply.

Just pop down to the bottom of the garden where the stables are and slaughter yourself a horse for a tasty nutritious meal.

I can just see it in the Telegraph now:

"I can't believe it's not beef", said IP Freely of Dulwich. "They're so expensive to keep. I'd never thought about it, but it's such a good idea. Feeds a family of four for months and saves money at the same time".

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

A retired Meat Inspector I know (who has also been a butcher and slaughterman) is now in the home kill game and whereas a bullock will cost him he gets paid to take away a horse and turn it into several months supply of high quality meat products :lol:

Doesn't sell on - that would be illegal.

HOLA4416

A retired Meat Inspector I know (who has also been a butcher and slaughterman) is now in the home kill game and whereas a bullock will cost him he gets paid to take away a horse and turn it into several months supply of high quality meat products :lol:

Doesn't sell on - that would be illegal.

Post me a pie! :blink:

HOLA4417

The reality is that people underestimate the time and substantial costs of owning a horse but people buy them for status reasons - a bit of the typical UK house price snobbery thing here - and there are plenty in the establishment happy to sell horses to Mr. & Mrs. Status-chasers.

Why didn't Anne call for stricter controls on horse breeding and selling? Perhaps such a thing would not be liked by her social circle?

Typical Royal response - shoot it and eat it.

Archived