House Price Crash Forum

Internet Radio From Tablet To Hifi

HOLA441

I'd like to listen to internet radio via my hifi, and making use of the DAC inside my Blu-ray player (which has a USB input). Ideally I'd get a tablet which could sit next to the hifi when used for radio... do any tablets have a USB socket which can output audio?

HOLA442

I'd like to listen to internet radio via my hifi, and making use of the DAC inside my Blu-ray player (which has a USB input). Ideally I'd get a tablet which could sit next to the hifi when used for radio... do any tablets have a USB socket which can output audio?

I think most of them will, although you'll need an OTG adapter (and the Android OS kernel on that tablet needs to have OTG capability).

HOLA443

Interesting question.

My instinct was - maybe with Windows.

My own experience with Android suggested to me that USB is little more than a socket to maybe attach a hard drive.

However this article seems to cover what you want and suggests that Windows can't do it, it may arrive on Windows and on Android one day - you're not the only one asking.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/07/android-high-performance-audio-in-4-1-and-what-it-means-plus-libpd-goodness-today/

Mind you that article is a year old already so maybe things have moved on a bit.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Why not get an internet capable DAB portable radio instead?

Beacuse I'd like to connect it into my Blu-Ray player's USB in, and from there into my hifi. I would also like to have the 7 or 10 inch screen of a tablet. If you know of a portable internet radio that has those features I'd certainly consider it. The only portables I can find are £250, which is bordering on tablet prices.... and a tablet could be used for so much more on top.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I saw a great app that did this last year but forget its name - it used wi fi to broadcast audio or video to a wi fi enabled TV or DVD player or other media device. If I remember it I will let you know.

Isnt that a feature of WIndows 7 onwards...I think it is....with my network, my wireless radio can connect to the local media provider...

HOLA449

Beacuse I'd like to connect it into my Blu-Ray player's USB in, and from there into my hifi. I would also like to have the 7 or 10 inch screen of a tablet. If you know of a portable internet radio that has those features I'd certainly consider it. The only portables I can find are £250, which is bordering on tablet prices.... and a tablet could be used for so much more on top.

That's a circuitous route. I plug mine straight into the amplifier.

£91.23

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Portable-Streaming-Digital-Internet/dp/B004E9SLOK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384534229&sr=8-2&keywords=pure+internet+radio

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Chord electronics have some interesting products. Probably need to find a dealer to listen. Sadly some of their products cost more than my car. It's the gap in my hifi because its cdplayer - dac - amp.

Maybe Arcam or Rega do a good streamer. Even Cambridge audio though no idea if they sound good.

HOLA4413

Have you considered the pure jongo range? The a2 fits your needs.

HOLA4414

That's a circuitous route. I plug mine straight into the amplifier.

As I mentioned in the OP, I want to use the USB inout on my blu-ray (to take advantage of it's superior DAC chips).

I assumed the tablet was apple or android.

I don't have a tablet yet... but I will get one if it can serve as a streamer with screen for my hifi

Have you considered the pure jongo range? The a2 fits your needs.

Well that would stream music from my tablet, but I want the music to go through my hifi, rather than the built in dac/amp/speakers on a portable unit.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

As I mentioned in the OP, I want to use the USB inout on my blu-ray (to take advantage of it's superior DAC chips).

I don't have a tablet yet... but I will get one if it can serve as a streamer with screen for my hifi

Well that would stream music from my tablet, but I want the music to go through my hifi, rather than the built in dac/amp/speakers on a portable unit.

No, the a2 connects to your hifi/av receiver. Works very well.

Play music or radio via android pure connect app.

HOLA4420

honestly, all devices that produce sound have a headphone jack.

Pop into any electrical shop and get headphone jack to whatever your hifi takes....ie jack to phono, jack to jack, jack to DIN...

HOLA4421

There is zero point in putting a low quality signal from internet streaming through a separate DAC. DAB and streaming music are not high fidelity. But it's your money. :)

HOLA4422

honestly, all devices that produce sound have a headphone jack.

Pop into any electrical shop and get headphone jack to whatever your hifi takes....ie jack to phono, jack to jack, jack to DIN...

That's what I do. I've got a mini-jack to phono cable permamently plugged into the aux channel of my stereo. Works a treat.

HOLA4423

I already have the blu-ray player, which has digital inputs on it, including a usb one, that connect to it's high quality dac chips. Also I have no way of using phono inputs on my hifi (my blu-ray connects directly to power amps). Plus, if I use the headphone output on a tablet or portable, then I'm using the internal dac, which will sound inferior.

HOLA4424

I already have the blu-ray player, which has digital inputs on it, including a usb one, that connect to it's high quality dac chips. Also I have no way of using phono inputs on my hifi (my blu-ray connects directly to power amps). Plus, if I use the headphone output on a tablet or portable, then I'm using the internal dac, which will sound inferior.

Internet Digital streaming is good at 256kb and is compressed using MP3 or some such. I think the best quality is 320kb and some claim this is CD quality.

From Wiki:

A CD audio bit rate is 1,411.2 kbit/s (as 2 channels × 44,100 samples per second per channel × 16 bits per sample = 1,411,200 bit/s = 1,411.2 kbit/s). Likewise, in a computer, audio data coming in from a CD drive is accessed by sectors, each sector being 2,352 bytes, and with 75 sectors containing 1 second of audio, for the same bit rate of 2,352 × 75 = 176.4 KiB/s (1,411.2 kbit/s). In comparison, the bit rate of a "1×" CD-ROM is defined as 2,048 bytes per sector × 75 sectors per second = 150 KiB/s (1,228.8 kbit/s). The undecoded channel-data rate for a Red Book audio CD is 4.3218 Mbit/s, with 2.0338 Mbit/s being the rate of the undecoded audio and subcode.

As you can see, a compressed mp3 stream will be less accurate by a factor of 4 compared to a CD...Saying that, the production on many CDs is crap and maybe even sound better compressed.

I find much detail is missing on a ripped MP3 compared to a shop bought CD of the same music. As for a better DAC making all the difference, I would suggest that compressed in is going to be compressed out.

HOLA4425

There is zero point in putting a low quality signal from internet streaming through a separate DAC. DAB and streaming music are not high fidelity. But it's your money. :)

Internet radio varies, some have a reasonable bit rate. DAB is usually crap. My amplifier gets "internet radio" direct from my router. :o

Archived