House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Setting Up Win 8 - Out Of The Box Takes Several Hours....

Just had a Win8 laptop delivered, so far I've been configuring it and setting it up for over 4 hours now...

Switching it on initially not too bad probably about 5-10 mins to get into main screen. After that it becomes rather an amusingly slow process. Doing the Win updates took ages no idea what was happening it said downloading then stuck at 0% left it for about 30 mins still at 0%. Update and reboot seemed to do the trick, cue another 30 mins or so to install. Then after all that you install Win 8.1 so far that appears to have taken around 1 hours.

Then of course I've been installing other software we use. WinXP didn't take this long even on much slower hardware.

The hardware gets quicker and quicker and then MS do their level best to ensure you drink plenty of tea/coffee whilst you wait for it to do something!

You didnt have to do the 8.1 did you? thats gonna suck if its compulsory.

And youll be amazed at the start button in 8.1.....NOOOOOOOOT!

Windows updates, a bit like stuff from Apple's iTunes, always seem to download quite slowly. 12 Meg seems good for downstream speed from those leaving plenty in hand for other stuff, they never come near to using all the available bandwidth of the connection.

I've always assumed this is because the pipe at the other end just isn't big enough to serve it out any quicker to meet the demand.

I have to rebuild Mother's Windows Vista (!) PC later on - replacement hard drive. I'll leave that running and come back to it multiple times over the course of several hours.

WinXP didn't take this long even on much slower hardware.

This week I had to factory-reset the sister-in-law's XP netbook and then download and install all the updates... takes forever especially as some updates require a reboot before you can start on the next set.

I suspect we just have higher expectations of modern kit, although with iPhone ("it just works") updates I've always had to do them overnight and they've usually required multiple attempts.

Please!

Stop doing this, you only encourage Microsoft.

Burn a Mint 15 live CD and install it instead.

written on my fujitsu Lifebook E series with built in 3G and wifi. If some eejit sends me a crimosoft file I have the choice of opening it with LibreOffice or run M$ Office using Crossover or Wine.

I'm still using Xubuntu cos I haven't had time to switch to Mint like everyone else.

You can run it off the LiveCD to try it without commitment to your hard disk. It is open source so all it will cost you is the price of a disk.

Added bonus, no viruses. You can install a firewall (ufw) and an anti virus (clamav) for other peoples protection (like wearing a condom).

Even the bosses PA uses Mint.

Part of why people buy Apple. Most people want to take it out of the box and it works.

New Windows OSes and Call of Duty have mostly been two steps forward and one back IMPO. With some versions of Windows tbey just went backwards.

Please!

Stop doing this, you only encourage Microsoft.

Burn a Mint 15 live CD and install it instead.

written on my fujitsu Lifebook E series with built in 3G and wifi. If some eejit sends me a crimosoft file I have the choice of opening it with LibreOffice or run M$ Office using Crossover or Wine.

I'm still using Xubuntu cos I haven't had time to switch to Mint like everyone else.

You can run it off the LiveCD to try it without commitment to your hard disk. It is open source so all it will cost you is the price of a disk.

Added bonus, no viruses. You can install a firewall (ufw) and an anti virus (clamav) for other peoples protection (like wearing a condom).

Even the bosses PA uses Mint.

I use English. You?