House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Philomena

Saw it last night. V impressed with Steve Coogan as a straight actor. Judi Dench of course always wonderful.

Highly recommended. Will be surprised if it isn't at least nominated for a few Oscars.

I went to see "Philomena" about a week ago, as it had received decent reviews. Agree with you that it was a v good film and Coogan acted well. Seems that Steve Coogan is a highly talended, (if somewhat complicated), person, as, (on top of acting), he also writes & produces.

I know some people don't like his "Alan Partidge" stuff at all, but I love it. I saw his "Alpha Papa" a few months back, and found it hilarious. Also, I read the Alan Partridge autobiography, ("I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan"), about a year ago, which I enjoyed just as much as "Alan Partridge" on TV. (Nb I could clearly hear AP's voice in my head when reading it!)

Enjoyed his "Saxondale", & "The Trip" too, so I guess I'm a Coogan fan!

Worth sticking with on two counts, the truth about her son's identity and the shocking lies of the Catholic church which are exposed at the end. (hope that's not too much of a spoiler)

Do not share your enthusiasm for Judi Dench I am afraid. A bit unfair perhaps because it concerns the Trinity of power and domination of the screen she has with Smith and Mirren.

Basically there are actresses of a certain age I would much prefer to see....Cheryl Campbell, Amanda Root, Vanessa Redgrave, Patricia Hodge etc. etc. and they never get a look in.

Incidentally the admission fee was £2.70...not concession, not Orange Wednesday. But of course we have hyper-inflation especially if you have loads of gold ....yeh right.

Worth sticking with on two counts, the truth about her son's identity and the shocking lies of the Catholic church which are exposed at the end. (hope that's not too much of a spoiler)

Do not share your enthusiasm for Judi Dench I am afraid. A bit unfair perhaps because it concerns the Trinity of power and domination of the screen she has with Smith and Mirren.

Basically there are actresses of a certain age I would much prefer to see....Cheryl Campbell, Amanda Root, Vanessa Redgrave, Patricia Hodge etc. etc. and they never get a look in.

Incidentally the admission fee was £2.70...not concession, not Orange Wednesday. But of course we have hyper-inflation especially if you have loads of gold ....yeh right.

Do agree about the trinity to a certain extent. And do esp. like Root and Hodge.

I guess I was particularly interested in this because there was a similar story in an ex colleague's family some years ago. Her Irish mother in law had died by the time they found out that she had had another child very young. She had been sent to one of those dreadful Magdalen laundries, the baby taken away soon after birth and adopted locally.

The poor girl was subsequently taken by the nuns to England where she was put into service. She never saw or spoke to any of her family ever again. It all came as a colossal shock to her 4 later children - none of them had had any idea, and some of them did not want at first to acknowledge the older half brother in Ireland. This upset my colleague very much, since she was herself adopted.

They were all happily reconciled in the end,though, thank goodness.

Do agree about the trinity to a certain extent. And do esp. like Root and Hodge.

You don't want a diet of Dench all the time. Hodge agrees.........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/9595580/Patricia-Hodge-all-the-best-roles-go-to-Judi-Dench.html

As for Root, well I just love the woman.........

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3883899136/nm0740500

Ive met Steve Coogan twice.

Doing 2 completely differnet jobs. I actually rented him a flat in NW3 around 97.

I drove up there from Euston in my Sierra, he followed in the Porsche. I am not joking btw

He could tell i was a fan of AP, and asked if i wanted a photo. Still got it somewhere.

I often laugh when i see the episode when he buys his "******* house". "One flush... bang gone"... :D

Anyway, happy to say that "Letting Agent" was the only job i got sacked from. For not being a shameless enough liar.

Then about 3 years later i did a screening of his Tony Ferrino TV pilot. On a barge up the Grand Union canal.

I was sat out in the cold bit at the front all night while they all got lashed inside.

Not quite so much fun...

He's ok. You have to admire his work and overall contribution.

Though i'm not that cool with the way he has helped shut up the press.

It appears that the Catholic church's big cover up is about to spectacularly backfire as Philomena (after a slow start) is gaining momentum in the box office, now overtaking Mirren's The Queen at the same stage.

On the back of the film outraging audiences, the pressure group is now wanting to enlist Dench herself to increase the awareness of the abuse that went on...........

Observer today............

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/16/philomena-judi-dench-ireland