House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Part-Time Britain: Millions More Working But They’Re Earning Less

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/13/part-time-britain-millions-more-working-but-theyre-earning-less-4186199/

A record number of Britons are having to work part-time because they cannot find permanent jobs, new figures reveal.

Nearly 30million people are now in employment – an all-time high – yet more than one in four are on reduced hours.

And a record 1.46million part-timers say they would like full-time jobs but are unable to find any.

The seemingly upbeat employment figures were hailed by David Cameron as ‘more proof our long-term plan for Britain is working’.

But critics said that they only masked a growing reliance on low-paid, low-quality jobs. TUC general secretary Frances O’Grady added: ‘Britain’s workforce is getting larger but poorer.’

Change.org anti-cuts campaigner Dominic Aversano said: ‘The reality behind these figures is degraded working conditions, reduced rights and an attack on secure, stable work.’

And increased state dependency which is a point clearly lacking in any analysis. People work part time more because they qualify for more benefits and companies like people working part time as the govt can subsidise cheap / part time wages. Its really win win for everyone...

The reality behind the bouyant unemployment figures?

It would certainly give Carney room to manoeuvre, when I said unemployment was to be below 7% I expected the majority of new jobs to be full time. Until these jobs become full time we have to keep rates low before we can lock in the recovery...

They prefer to work less hours and claim tax credits.

Tesco et al are also big fans of this scheme.

I saw this headline this morning, on the 7.59 grumpy express in to Kings X.

How many hours do you have to work a week to be employed?......does being employed mean someone paying you some money for the work/service you provide?.....is being self employed but making a loss being employed? ;)

How many hours do you have to work a week to be employed?......does being employed mean someone paying you some money for the work/service you provide?.....is being self employed but making a loss being employed? ;)

I'm self employed. I reckon if you are able to support yourself without recourse to working tax credits or any other state benefits then it is genuine employment. If on the other hand it is a means of getting your national insurance contributions up to 35 qualifying years or getting more in tax credits than you actually generate in profit, then that is more questionable.

Almost if the government have set it up that way to massage the unemployment stats, promote their migrant labour objectives (despite what they say) and pretend that all is well - it worked during the previous bubble phase when manufacturing jobs were being lost by the 10K's.

I prefer to work part time, I work 7 months of the year and then spend 5 months at home in Thailand with my wife and daughter.

My house in Thailand cost £38K and the cost of living is about 1/3 of the UK.

Tax credits not required.

Who wants to work 50 hours per week 48 weeks of the year to live in the UK with its crap weather, overpriced housing and ridiculous cost of living?

I'm self employed. I reckon if you are able to support yourself without recourse to working tax credits or any other state benefits then it is genuine employment. If on the other hand it is a means of getting your national insurance contributions up to 35 qualifying years or getting more in tax credits than you actually generate in profit, then that is more questionable.

Im self employed too.

In Feb my main contract will cease.

It is my "ambition" to earn less than £10k in the following tax year, so as to be in receipt of tax credits.

This will then (i think) entitle me to a free boiler.

Those are the rules.

So be it.

PS Workimg solidly since 1982.

Edited by shindigger

I was surprise in the last week to be contact by a large Japanese electronics firm - they want a Technical Architect and listed a long, long list of skills, qualifications and expertise required for a big project.

The day rate was good but they then shocked me by saying they wanted that person for ONE day per week for 6 months.

Apart from sounding like a knowledge transfer scam the cost of getting to/from their office and staying in some kind of hotel overnight meant that it is not worth doing. You could just about justify it if you lived within 15 to 20 miles of the place.

Anyhow, huge international company but seemingly not wanting or willing to hire someone full time.

The reality behind the bouyant unemployment figures?

Yup

The result of far to many people in the country looking for jobs which are not there.

The employment market has far to much supply.

Im self employed too.

In Feb my main contract will cease.

It is my "ambition" to earn less than £10k in the following tax year, so as to be in receipt of tax credits.

This will then (i think) entitle me to a free boiler.

Those are the rules.

So be it.

PS Workimg solidly since 1982.

You may as well join the rest, it seems to be the future, find out what you are entitled to and suit your life around that and make sure you do not save or contribute to a pension. No worries about the retirement age increasing for many in this country who have never worked. :rolleyes:

You may as well join the rest, it seems to be the future, find out what you are entitled to and suit your life around that and make sure you do not save or contribute to a pension.

Yes, I`m taking the same road myself though it will take around a year to organise. I just need to get rid of some money first and I`ll be there.

Anyone got some idea what kind of business I can start? Just need to get myself through the next 12 years...!

....but isn't that what some are having to do?

This unemployment figure doesn't mean much, it only means what TPTB want it to mean......why can't we have an hours worked actually earning, meaning on the books, taxable income......I would say there are thousands of people not earning, not retired and not claiming or training.....I suppose they don't count. ;)

You may as well join the rest, it seems to be the future, find out what you are entitled to and suit your life around that and make sure you do not save or contribute to a pension. No worries about the retirement age increasing for many in this country who have never worked. :rolleyes:

Huh. Just checked the criteria.

Given that i'm nowhere near 60 i don't qualify through the tax credt route.

Cobblers.

Huh. Just checked the criteria.

Given that i'm nowhere near 60 i don't qualify through the tax credt route.

Cobblers.

Until universal credit comes in I thought it was dependent on what you certified your working week was (ie. over 30 hours) in other words pretty much on trust even if your profit is a quid.

I was surprise in the last week to be contact by a large Japanese electronics firm - they want a Technical Architect and listed a long, long list of skills, qualifications and expertise required for a big project.

The day rate was good but they then shocked me by saying they wanted that person for ONE day per week for 6 months.

Apart from sounding like a knowledge transfer scam the cost of getting to/from their office and staying in some kind of hotel overnight meant that it is not worth doing. You could just about justify it if you lived within 15 to 20 miles of the place.

Anyhow, huge international company but seemingly not wanting or willing to hire someone full time.

Royal Mail need to do this with most managers, but a slight twist, one days work over five days, a couple of hours in the morning sorting out duties to be covered and a few other bits, don't think no one would want that job though, but that's all it needs in reality.