House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Strange Creature With A Face At Each End And A Lot Of Legs.

Today we went to a Chinese restaurant in Marbella. In the cook to order section they had some of these odd sea creatures. Crustacean, white/translucent in colour, two or three inches long with a dozen or more legs and a face at each end, although one of them looked like a dummy to fool us predators. I got them to cook me one but couldn't find a way in to the meat, if indeed there was any meat, seemed all legs and face to me. I hacked away at the damned thing for a few minutes and managed to find a tiny piece of white meat which tasted of nothing.

Any ideas what it could have been? The wife said it was a giant creepy crawlie and wouldn't go near it.

Vicious apparently.

Probably not when cooked.

Reminds me of the time I saw something similar - had about a hundred pairs of legs and only two teeth.

Wasn't at a restaurant mind you - Mrs XYY's not that keen on dining out.

We were glancing along the front row at a Daniel O'Donnell concert...

XYY

I think it's mantis shrimps that have the biggest range of colour vision known, and can detect the direction of polarised light too.

Yes, amazing creatures, and some species can accelerate their claws at 100,000 m/s2:o , causing shockwaves that can crack the glass of an aquarium.

I juts read this on Wiki:

Although stomatopods typically display the standard locomotion types as seen in true shrimp and lobsters, one species, Nannosquilla decemspinosa, has been observed flipping itself into a crude wheel. The species lives in shallow, sandy areas. At low tides, N. decemspinosa is often stranded by its short rear legs, which are sufficient for locomotion when the body is supported by water, but not on dry land. The mantis shrimp then performs a forward flip in an attempt to roll towards the next tide pool. N. decemspinosa has been observed to roll repeatedly for 2 metres (6.6 ft), but specimens typically travel less than 1 m (3.3 ft).[22]

...which i find interesting, because the Dutch artist M C Escher wondered about the absence of the wheel in the natural world, and hypothesised this creature:

Escher%2C_Curl-up.jpg

Seems Escher wasn't wide of the mark.

Yes, amazing creatures, and some species can accelerate their claws at 100,000 m/s2:o , causing shockwaves that can crack the glass of an aquarium.

Yes, it's actually the sonic boom rather than the 'strike' that stuns/kills the prey. The energy produced is so intense that they can even create a tiny flash of light, apparently (shrimpoluminescence - no, really). Amazing creatures.